• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Open Mike: Todd Viney

Grapeviney

I knew Toumpas was the wrong pick from his first interview and said so at the time. He's a total mummy's boy. Unbelievable error by the club but there is zero point going on about it now. Brayshaw, Salem, Hogan, Tyson, Viney, are all players we can build a club around. We need 3 more A grade mids, Petracca might be one of them, a ruckman and possibly one more key back. From there we really should see improvement. That's not too much more. We're not miles off top 4, but who k owe what happens from there

Now stop worrying about Toumpas he'll be gone soon enough

think you are right Roost

And everyone will just say "oh well..."

Watts Toumpas Gysberts Cook...

All of them not just fails. Massive fails

All of them lack attitude.

It should be abundantly clear during interviews before they even train!!!

Richard Branson when hiring employees doesn't worry about what people have done before.

He hires people with the attitude.

The other attributes can be learnt. Attitude is ingrained.

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

Don't be ridiculous. At no stage was our midfield in any shape to say a player of Ollie Wines calibre was not what we needed.

That is media bullsh!t. 2012 was enough to show that alone

Jack & Ollie would have been great working under Jonesy. Young Grunt

I reckon Todd balked but sadly we won't know what happened because good old "soft [censored]" Shehan didn't ask the tough ones...

You are being a complete knucklehead.

Name one leading recruiter or commentator that said Wines was a better bet than Toumpas.

• Like 1

Richard Branson when hiring employees doesn't worry about what people have done before.

It's a worry when Cale Morton doesn't even make the cut to get a mention in these types of posts anymore....

• Like 1

Name one leading recruiter or commentator that said Wines was a better bet than Toumpas.

Pretty sure Emma Quayle had us taking Wines in her mock draft which would imply that he would've been best for us at that pick

I shall repeat I DO NOT CARE WHAT JOURNALISTS OR COMMENTATORS THINK.

Phantom drafts sell newspapers

Nobody can suss out an ATTITUDE via youtube or watching from the Grandstand.

The MFC was just plain lazy until PJ came along.

Don't tell me you need $millions to ask the right questions in an interview and to have a solid idea of a draftees attitude within 30 minutes

But we couldn't even do that....

Pretty sure Emma Quayle had us taking Wines in her mock draft which would imply that he would've been best for us at that pick

Wrong

If you take out Daniher, Emma had Toumpas at 3 & Wines at 7

• Like 1

Wrong

If you take out Daniher, Emma had Toumpas at 3 & Wines at 7

...and I was just about to start a 'PJ, get Emma thread'.

• Like 1

I shall repeat I DO NOT CARE WHAT JOURNALISTS OR COMMENTATORS THINK.

Phantom drafts sell newspapers

Nobody can suss out an ATTITUDE via youtube or watching from the Grandstand.

The MFC was just plain lazy until PJ came along.

Don't tell me you need $millions to ask the right questions in an interview and to have a solid idea of a draftees attitude within 30 minutes

But we couldn't even do that....

You contradict yourself all the time. You say we had access to the best info and we chose Toumpas. You have your answer. Bleating like a 2yo on here won't get a different answer. If you are really really really keen ring Todd and ask him. Make sure you identify yourself when you ring. Make a hero of yourself and offer your services to the club for being an outstanding recruiter. And here, Ill even give you the number chicknshite. (03) 9652 1111

And if you do ring (which I very much doubt) don't bother telling us what he said because we already know the answer. the club preferred Toumpas.

You like the sound of your own voice. or should I say like reading your own posts.

• Like 1

You contradict yourself all the time. You say we had access to the best info and we chose Toumpas. You have your answer. Bleating like a 2yo on here won't get a different answer. If you are really really really keen ring Todd and ask him. Make sure you identify yourself when you ring. Make a hero of yourself and offer your services to the club for being an outstanding recruiter. And here, Ill even give you the number chicknshite. (03) 9652 1111

And if you do ring (which I very much doubt) don't bother telling us what he said because we already know the answer. the club preferred Toumpas.

You like the sound of your own voice. or should I say like reading your own posts.

Jnr. It is a thread concerning Todd Viney who at the time was the Head of recruiting.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THERE TO PREFER IN A PLAYER WHO NEEDED SURGERY ON BOTH HIPS WHILST THE OTHER ONE HAD LIVED IN THE VINEY HOUSE???????

i have not contradicted myself once. The club was incompetent at the time.

Edited by Sir Why You Little

Well then maybe the club shouldn't accept ALL the $$$ i have donated over a long period.

2 way street sunshine...

i have no problem with the present structure btw

Well why dont you stop whinging and complaining then? Sounds like to me you are one of our classic keyboard warriors.

• Like 1

Well why dont you stop whinging and complaining then? Sounds like to me you are one of our classic keyboard warriors.

i don't care what you think Dr. Your rants have always been far more out there than mine

The Carlton template really worked out well didn't it. You blabbed an entire summer on that one...

Laugh....

i don't care what you think Dr. Your rants have always been far more out there than mine

The Carlton template really worked out well didn't it. You blabbed an entire summer on that one...

Laugh....

Then we promptly followed their model and employed a Pro-Scout ( opposition analysts) - hahah so who is laughing now. Thanks MFC we are now reaping the benefits - better quality trades. Go Demons.

So you would have then taken Scully well before you would have taken Martin.

Scully was a training machine - had to be held back at sessions - from his earliest days he was determined to be the very best he could be ?

You have no problems with the likes of McKenzie and Bail ? - have all the attributes in terms of attitude - your suggestion that the other attributes can be learnt seems to amiss here.

And now you are also shifting the goal posts with Toumpas - he would have been drafted on attitude alone - that isn't where his problem is. The other attributes you are alluding to that you say can be learnt seem to be the ones that are missing in Toumpas - not the attitude.

• Like 1

Paige Cardona had us taking Wines in her mock draft - but she had Toumpas going at pick 2.

So you would have then taken Scully well before you would have taken Martin.

Scully was a training machine - had to be held back at sessions - from his earliest days he was determined to be the very best he could be ?

You have no problems with the likes of McKenzie and Bail ? - have all the attributes in terms of attitude - your suggestion that the other attributes can be learnt seems to amiss here.

And now you are also shifting the goal posts with Toumpas - he would have been drafted on attitude alone - that isn't where his problem is. The other attributes you are alluding to that you say can be learnt seem to be the ones that are missing in Toumpas - not the attitude.

toumpas does not have the attitude for the midfield.

Can you really see him playing a vote winning game in September Nut?

$cully is an iteresting one. Yes he has good attitude but his body hasn't filled out.

He is actually built like a long distance runner

Schwab thought modern football was that.

Teach the athlete to kick....

A big solid midfield will thrash $cully every time

But he will keep trying. He just doesn't do much damage.

It would be great if one of these harry hindsight types could show some foresight (now) and name the player we should have picked if either Petracca or Brayshaw aren't A graders

• Like 1

toumpas does not have the attitude for the midfield.

Can you really see him playing a vote winning game in September Nut?

$cully is an iteresting one. Yes he has good attitude but his body hasn't filled out.

He is actually built like a long distance runner

Schwab thought modern football was that.

Teach the athlete to kick....

A big solid midfield will thrash $cully every time

But he will keep trying. He just doesn't do much damage.

I can't see how you can comment so dogmatically on The attitude of Toumpas. Only those close to him could comment on that.

From what I've seen he comes across as committed and quite intense - from a distance confidence may be the main issue.

• Like 2

I read the first 2 pages of this thread, but not reading the other 7 as it looks like it's devolved into a slanging match about why we didnt draft x instead of y.

Back to the Open Mike itself, I did enjoy some of the anecdotes about Todds days playing chess on the beach with RDB in Hawaii, the Scuds dad being every

bit the monster everyone assumed he was, and of him being gobsmacked to see Robbie Flower pick him up from the airport and took him to his family home in
Croydon with his man cave, for Flower to come out the next morning at breakfast in a silly outfit. Great stuff.

Was also heartbreaking seeing the footage of two of them knowing Tulip is no longer with us. (plus, I still want one of those Adidas tracksuits they had on!)

• Like 1

I can't see how you can comment so dogmatically on The attitude of Toumpas. Only those close to him could comment on that.

From what I've seen he comes across as committed and quite intense - from a distance confidence may be the main issue.

That is the point though Chook.

Attitude is confidence and confidence is attitude.

They feed off each other.

Ollie had it from the first Bounce of his first game

So did JV.

Imagine those twin exhaust systems pumping the engine of an MCG Midfield in September....

Toumpas. Sorry he just aint got it. We picked all the wrong attitudes under Schwab. The only reason we got Viney was F/S

Attitude & Aptitude are so important that so many recruiters do not factor in nearly enough.

As i said earlier Branson's empire is built on attitude. The rest can be taught because it is reputition. Attitude is the drive