Breaking our 10 game losing streak v St Kilda?

Bring-Back-Powell

I know we've been terrible since 2007 but it's quite amazing that we haven't beaten our fellow struggler since 2006. The last time we beat them was round 10 2006 when Neitz kicked a bag and Byron Pickett was at his best.

Since then, St Kilda have reached their highs and lows, but we're still outclassed every time we play them. We had a genuine chance of beating them in round 5 2012 on a wet Saturday night at the g, but Hayes and Milne got them over the line, as we failed to score in the last qtr.

This year we play them in round 11 at Etihad on a Sunday evening, and have a return bout in round 17 at the MCG on a Sunday arvo. Does anyone think we'll finally break our long losing streak against St Kilda?

Edit- thanks hogans heroes for pointing that our last win against them was the 2006 elimination final. I can't believe a die hard like me overlooked that amazing win!

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

The last time we beat them was round 2006 when Neitz kicked a bag and Byron Pickett was at his best.

Last win against the Saints was the Elimination final of that same season

But your points all stand. Sick to death of losing to them

Apart from cameos from Clark, we haven't had a an imposing forward (to counter Reiwaldt at the other end) since Neitz retired in 2008 nor have we had a decent midfield over those years (vs, St. Kilda's). This year I am hopinng it is a different story if the current list is fit come game day. We will demolish them in both matches!

• Like 1

I reckon we would have beaten them last year in round 1 but for the fact that we lost Tom McDonald (who was covering Riewoldt) and Jack Fitzpatrick early. We were already very short of tall timber and key position players and on top of that kicked ten points in a row after kicking the first two goals. The tide will turn this year - we'll beat them easily both times.

• Like 4

I don't think it's amazing, as you put it, that they haven't beaten St Kilda since 2006. As you said, Melbourne has been terrible during the period, but the Saints were very good after 2006 and played in two grand finals. It's more the inability to beat them in the last couple of years, since they've been dragged down to our level, that has been disappointing.

• Like 1

I don't think it's amazing, as you put it, that they haven't beaten St Kilda since 2006. As you said, Melbourne has been terrible during the period, but the Saints were very good after 2006 and played in two grand finals. It's more the inability to beat them in the last couple of years, since they've been dragged down to our level, that has been disappointing.

Mind you, we've only played them once in each of the last two years and we've been horrible ourselves in that time.

If we can't beat St Kilda this year what hope do we have of winning any game.

I'd like to think that we will beat them but wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar result to round 1 last year.

There mids in Joey, Jack and Armitage are as good as ours and Riewoldt is still playing good footy so I am not getting to confident.

We were only beaten last year because Riewoldt got off the chain once TMac was injured.

All things being equal would expect us to turn that around this season.

• Like 1

And North. So much North. Ridiculous how we could put up such a streak of losses against them.

The saints are very old at the top and young at the bottom with only a few - Armitage, Steven maybe Dempster in their prime years. Same with the Dogs.

We now have a bit of maturity especially after bringing in Lumumba and Garlett. In fact we can field pretty much a full side and not much off our best 22 with guys who have now done 3 preseasons and played more than 20 games. That doesn't really sound amazing but if we are actually fit for once there's no more excuses of being a young team.

Ie:
FB: Jetta Dunn Garland

HB: Grimes McDonald Howe

C: Vince Jones Lumumba

HF: Kent Hogan Watts

FF: Pedersen Dawes Garlett

Foll: Jamar Tyson Cross

Int: Viney M Jones Terlich Bail

So besides Hogan who hasn't made his debut but has done the 3 preseasons everyone else has at least 20 games experience as well as the 3 preseasons. And there's others like Spencer, Fitzpatrick, Newton, Michie, Frost, McKenzie, Gawn, Riley who have done the time at lower level and have to consider themselves ready to perform, not to mention the highly rated youngsters whom I hope we see.

But there's no reason we should go in to any game next year thinking we can't compete. And when we come up against the Saints or Dogs most players on the field should say they are either more experienced than their opponents or fresher and in their prime.

Didn't it had been that long since we beat them and that depresses me. I always think of North as the ones we can't beat and it sh*ts me to tears. We should've beat St Kilda Round 1 last year but fluffed it at the end. If we don't beat St Kilda this year then we may as well have not bothered showing up. They're where we were 3-4 years ago, and if we lose it just shows how slow we are progressing.