• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Talking Point: What does the Melbourne Football Club stand for?

Whispering_Jack

Good to see you've become more moderate now that you've changed your alter ego to abstemious BBO.

if this is serious? case closed

It is now all about winning games. If we don't do that the clubstands for nothing

Wins will get the place rolling

oh, swyl

Jack, as you might remember, I'm one of the many teachers on Demonland. A much respected colleague of mine once suggested that a school's reputation is usually based on the things that happened 6 - 10 years ago. I think footy clubs are similar. The hard yards that are being made will be recognised in a decade and when, as others have suggested, we start winning, all the things that we want to stand for now will in fact be openly respected by other clubs and their supporters. Well, here's hoping anyway.

What we stand for seems like another expression for 'culture'. This appears to be one of the key reasons for Goodwin's appointment. He is big on culture in Roosy's view. Hope he can walk the walk. Then we'll stand for something.

culture, we have to stop being run by anal snobs, & open up to the world, like the wall coming down. let the people in free to choose if they like or if they do not.

bring the organisation back to the people, & being a true 'Club' again.

Success in an organisation is about clarity of expectation. If people are unsure of what is required/expected of them they will not perform at their best. Success comes when every "difficult conversation" about performance is framed by a shared understanding of the organisation's expectations.

You can call it culture or whatever you like, but without a shared understanding, success will not come. It's not enough to hope for success, or for individuals to do their best; it's about everybody working as one to achieve a shared goal.

The MFC has to stand for something. An uncompromising belief in our ability to be successful would be a good start.

this is more inward isolationist looking twaddle about Us.

... and not about being open & accessible to the ones who would like to be attached the people want attachment, not to be looked down upon from melbourne supporters from Up High. kings of the small pond this attitude.

we have to look into the eyes of those disenchanted with what we've become, accept how 'they feel & see it', & take the responsibility, that we are not popular for reasons.

​What does any club stand for?

the love of the supporters & their method of passionate support describes that question, ask them.... I can't answer for Us. I don't know what 'We' stand for because it isn't obvious; maybe its 'tweed' or 'fawn velour'. don't know.

but whatever it is, it isn't anything to be proud of, or passionate for. maybe we should all be ',judges in fawn jackets', sitting in judgement of the whole footy world. at least we'll be taken seriously, & roundly Hated vehemently. this is what we may be closest to atmo?

how can the players love this value, no wonder they all locse their passions. and g4et selfish & lazy. our recent old ways have killed their passion.

if this is serious? case closed

oh, swyl

culture, we have to stop being run by anal snobs, & open up to the world, like the wall coming down. let the people in free to choose if they like or if they do not.

bring the organisation back to the people, & being a true 'Club' again.

this is more inward isolationist looking twaddle about Us.

... and not about being open & accessible to the ones who would like to be attached the people want attachment, not to be looked down upon from melbourne supporters from Up High. kings of the small pond this attitude.

we have to look into the eyes of those disenchanted with what we've become, accept how 'they feel & see it', & take the responsibility, that we are not popular for reasons.

"Twaddle"? Oh well, twaddle is in the eye of the beholder. If it it makes you feel good to be dismissive, knock yourself out.

We must be feared!

Smashing the opposition will get us a long way to achieving that position.

Nailed it Pig.

When our opposition team has a sleepless night before a game that is what the MFC must stand for again

I am sure this was what Smithy and Checker demanded during both of our 3peats years...

• Like 1

"Twaddle"? Oh well, twaddle is in the eye of the beholder. If it it makes you feel good to be dismissive, knock yourself out.

dismissive, that's your interpretation.

I wasn't being dismissive, I was saying here is exhibit 'A'...

'dismissive' is what some people receive, from those who think they're superior, & their shyte is sweeter, somehow purer. it all goes in & it all comes back out thin the same manner.

but dismissive behavior is given out by the intolerant narcissistic types, mostly.

We must be feared!

Smashing the opposition will get us a long way to achieving that position.

we need to regain that tenacity we had been developing, which started to show up in late 86-87

but more-so, (we the whole club, supporters) have to lower our elevated opinions of ourselves & become normal again... this will allow the players to keep their feet on the ground, & keep their feet as it were. or keep their heads switched ON.

dismissive, that's your interpretation.

I wasn't being dismissive, I was saying here is exhibit 'A'...

'dismissive' is what some people receive, from those who think they're superior, & their shyte is sweeter, somehow purer. it all goes in & it all comes back out thin the same manner.

but dismissive behavior is given out by the intolerant narcissistic types, mostly.

I think you missed my point, but that's okay. You're entitled to to your opinion.

It's a football club, not a political party or lobby group, so please don't as the question 'what does the club stand for' of MFC or any other sporting club - it's painful.

Sadly, we do need to represent something. If you don't like the phrase 'represent something' then I would rephrase that into 'needing a brand'. Any good company will tell you that you need some kind of association when your name is mentioned. We have that. Unfortunately, for the time being, it isn't a good association.

Sadly, we do need to represent something. If you don't like the phrase 'represent something' then I would rephrase that into 'needing a brand'. Any good company will tell you that you need some kind of association when your name is mentioned. We have that. Unfortunately, for the time being, it isn't a good association.

agreed CBF.

I think what Jimma stood for, & his family is love & tolerance, humanity & equality, forgiveness & a fair go. all great qualities for a person & an ethos for a Club. the same values were Robbie flowers.

Its a human trait that does not sit with a 'look down on judgmentally attitude'... Lets for goodness sake lose this political correctness & become ordinary people doing normal people things & looking out for one another.

the culture thats invaded the club I loved makes me sick. or is it that I just hadn't noticed it before internet?

I think we need to establish our credibility as a team before anything and then we can start establishing great rivalries. Start beating the likes of Sydney or Adelaide on a regular basis both at home or away and we should be able to say with honesty that we represent the biggest city in our state and not just a small suburb that forms a part of it.

• Like 2

​What does any club stand for?

Hawthorn.......winningness? That's what I would like to stand for.

Virtues such as Truth, Justice, Fairness, Honesty etc are all things that you can stand for.

Winning or being feared by an opponent aren't but are what all clubs play for and aspire too.

As I have posted earlier it is an exercise in futility in trying to name any club that actually stands for something tangible.

Virtues such as Truth, Justice, Fairness, Honesty etc are all things that you can stand for.

Winning or being feared by an opponent aren't but are what all clubs play for and aspire too.

As I have posted earlier it is an exercise in futility in trying to name any club that actually stands for something tangible.

In certain eras, clubs have stood for certain things.

Richmond 60-70's: Ruthlessness.

Hawthorn (Since 1961): Discipline.

Carlton (70's-80's): Professionalism/Arrogance/Success

North (70's): Innovation

Sydney (00's onwards): Accountability/teamwork

Sometimes these reputations fade. Richmond's reputation morphed from one that symbolized ruthlessness in the pursuit of success to symbolizing a chronic impatience and a need to feed a completely unreasonable supporter base. Carlton's reputation morphed from one of success to one that couldn't hear the train coming until it was much too late (see their 2002 season).

Sometimes these reputations fade. Richmond's reputation morphed from one that symbolized ruthlessness in the pursuit of success to symbolizing a chronic impatience and a need to feed a completely unreasonable supporter base. Carlton's reputation morphed from one of success to one that couldn't hear the train coming until it was much too late (see their 2002 season).

Melbourne since 1964: Soft underbelly in many areas of the club..

What do we stand for?

Misogynist old boys club, conservative reacts poorly to change, bitter, anger, frustrated. Not trusted by the governing body of the competition, the AFL, to elect its own board and hence competently run its own affairs. Overtly political.

Perceived ageing male dominated membership. Due to prolonged poor on-field performance is no longer relevant to the youth of today. Moving closer to its used by date, unless MFC can become competitive in memberships, sponsorships and gate receipts with other major Victorian clubs.

Resilient core group that have done an amazing job mentally to remain loyal and positive. Empathy / Sympathy from the public due to us being the founding forefathers of the competition but their patience is running thin - bad media ie tanking, poor recruiting , incompetent board selections etc has created an external believe of self inflicted problems.

Glimmer of hope with Roos and Jackson culture and on-field performance can be fixed. Have time but the clock is ticking. Winning will help but it will not solve all the issues.

• Like 1

What does this question even mean?

What does Hawthorn 'stand for'? Success? What does Collingwood 'stand for'? Something different?

If the question is 'how is Melbourne viewed by the public?', the answer is a combination of pity ('I feel sorry for them') and disgust ('I'm sick of this rabble wasting a spot in the competition'), and the only way to cure that is to win games.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 3

Basically all those listed stood for winning, so does this mean only the most successful clubs over various periods stand for anything ?

Bottom line is you can only stand for one of two things, winning/success or losing/failure, those mentioned above didn't stand for those things it's just a description of how they achieved success, and if they hadn't won anything would we think thats what they "stood for".

Doubtful.

What does the club stand for? community the club does a lot of things exp. Read like a demon, bring poor kids to games, pink lady night, so I don't know what some are talking about the club being snobs, I think that's a myth even some of our supports have fallen for, what do other clubs do that is similar? And about tanking we are only looked down upon because we did not win flag out of it like hawthorn,Collingwood, west coast, and Sydney I am sure if we had a extra 10% of our salary cap like they have had for the last 10 years then we would have been as successful as them, every team that has had that extra salary cap has done well, when Brisbane had the three peat they had extra salary cap. So what does west coast stand for? Letting a drug users playing and they did nothing about cousin and Kerr, why because they were winning, some times winning does not mean a good culture, likewise with the bombers hird know what was going, on Bruce Reid warned them about it, even the ceo knew what was going on, but you see winning makes everything like alright,

• Like 1

Basically all those listed stood for winning, so does this mean only the most successful clubs over various periods stand for anything ?

Bottom line is you can only stand for one of two things, winning/success or losing/failure, those mentioned above didn't stand for those things it's just a description of how they achieved success, and if they hadn't won anything would we think thats what they "stood for".

Doubtful.

Not necessarily. Each of the adjectives I mentioned could be perceived as positive but they by no means were synonyms of each other.

Teams without a history of success can stand for things as well:

St. Kilda: the party club

Doggies: the battlers/the club of the (south) western suburbs

Us: the club of the 50's

Without any context put in, those descriptions could be perceived as either positive or negative.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I think a related but different question to ask for this thread is "what differentiates our club" and also "how would we like to be differentiated in the future". From a marketing point of view you need more than just success to be a powerhouse (although it helps) and also a club may "stand" for great and noble values but it may simply be a marketable player or likeable logo or song that converts young children or adults that are new to the game to support a club.

The A-League has demonstrated how far behind Aussie Rules is in terms of atmosphere on match day and I can't help but feel that the first Aussie Rules club to get something similar happening will win a lot of new supporters. I also think the Dees could allow some of our likeable characters such as Bernie Vince to have a bit more creative license in the media as frankly the interviews at our club are too scripted and bland for my liking. Anyone else agree?

Edited by Romey
  • Like 1