Jack Trengove

FireOath

Agreed with the addition that if the medical staff thought he was no chance at all to play again they would have paid him out and delisted him and freed up a spot.

in one sense don't disagree nut, however, at the same time Trenners has a different background to say an under performing fringe player. Ex-Captain, committed loyal servant who renewed his contract early, dedicated trainer. In short an all round class act and a good role model for others. Remember the club has been heavily criticized for its handling of Junior and others. Would have been a very bad look to have delisted him.

• Like 1

The OP asked what would happen with JT if fit.

For me it's a no brainer, at 100% fit, he would be one of the first players picked after Jones and Tyson.

Whether we ever see him at 100% is another question, but if he can make it back he can be an out and out star IMO

• Like 7

in one sense don't disagree nut, however, at the same time Trenners has a different background to say an under performing fringe player. Ex-Captain, committed loyal servant who renewed his contract early, dedicated trainer. In short an all round class act and a good role model for others. Remember the club has been heavily criticized for its handling of Junior and others. Would have been a very bad look to have delisted him.

He has been in a moonboot/crutches/limping for what will be the best part of two seasons.

Not a good look to retire Mac Jnr whose body was starting to fail as opposed to a player who has limped for two years.

If the medical opinion came back conclusively that Trenners is going to struggle to ever play football again then I would suggest that club would have parted company and said that the medical opinion is that he will never be able to handle the rigors of AFL Football,

I truly believe that the medical jury is out whether he can come back. I understand the bad look theory but if the medical report came back that he wouldn't play again then release the report and say we would love to keep him but have a look at the prognosis.

I tend to agree that it is a bad injury to came back from and the odds are not with him but I don't agree with the theory that club is keeping him on knowing he wont play again.

If the foot hasn't healed by the end of the season.

Then put him up for trade. ( I doubt anyone would touch him )

If we don't get value then he get's delisted.

If he wants to nominate for the Rookie draft, he's welcome but don 't expect anyone to pick him up.

If the foot has healed and he has proved he can run fast without pain.

You take the gamble and keep him.

A good strong club should have tough love.

Don't hold on to players who are seriously injured.

• Like 5

He has been in a moonboot/crutches/limping for what will be the best part of two seasons.

Not a good look to retire Mac Jnr whose body was starting to fail as opposed to a player who has limped for two years.

If the medical opinion came back conclusively that Trenners is going to struggle to ever play football again then I would suggest that club would have parted company and said that the medical opinion is that he will never be able to handle the rigors of AFL Football,

I truly believe that the medical jury is out whether he can come back. I understand the bad look theory but if the medical report came back that he wouldn't play again then release the report and say we would love to keep him but have a look at the prognosis.

I tend to agree that it is a bad injury to came back from and the odds are not with him but I don't agree with the theory that club is keeping him on knowing he wont play again.

fair enough a well reasoned opinion

I firmly believe that if JT plays again it will be for another club. Either that or he retires.

The poor bloke desperately needs a change of scenery and hopefully for his sake (not ours) he gets a change of luck elsewhere.

After all the crap he's been through at the MFC, something tells me that the aborted trade to Richmond was the last straw for JT.

If he gets himself right by the end of the season, I can see a goodwill trade that will see JT move to the club of his choice for a 5th or 6th round pick or a swap of 4th or 5th round picks.

If the foot hasn't healed by the end of the season.

Then put him up for trade. ( I doubt anyone would touch him )

If we don't get value then he get's delisted.

If he wants to nominate for the Rookie draft, he's welcome but don 't expect anyone to pick him up.

If the foot has healed and he has proved he can run fast without pain.

You take the gamble and keep him.

Agree with all that except for the bit about looking for trade value. Be lucky to get a packet of chips given his injury issues.

The poor bloke desperately needs a change of scenery ...

Not disagreeing, but with a changeover of 20+ players in the last 18 months, especially the mature/solid players who have come in, plus changes to the coaching staff, I'd suggest that there's probably enough of a change of scenery gone on without him having to look outside his present club if that's what he needs.

JT is 24 or so. Slow but classy when fully fit. Great tackler and game thinker. Good overhead so a hard match up forward. Oooozes character.

N'ah bugger it. We are all sick of supporting a crap team so let's get rid of him. My angle:

(1) Trade for value but don't trade to free up a spot on the list or

(2) hope (yes I know, it's slim) that he fully recovers and plays another hundred games at the same level as the first 80.

I would keep him because he was given a [censored] sandwich by our club and never flinched. Plus he seems like a great bloke who would add to a (by then) winning culture (whatever the hell that means).

HFF.

Edited by Left Field

All..and every reasonable outcome rests on him becoming 100% fit.

Lets consider that...100% fit....but also with a fwd window of staying 100% fit.

Consider JTs track record. Whats the realistic chance of him maintaining this ?

Its not good is it.

Now everything needs to be built upon this reality. Trengove knows it only too well.

• Like 1

Given what's revealed in the medical tests he has an uphill battle to return to fitness. He has further uphill battle to establish his value this year to justify a contract extension. If was he was fit and MFC weren't going to re contract him then it could organise a mercy trade to another club for a low grade pick to at least give the kid another go at AFL.

Disagree with this - the offer from the tigers was a Brock McLean type of offer that couldn't be refused IMO - especially if the suggestion is true that we trying to use pick 12 coupled with pick 2 or 3 to land a marquis player.

I think the club knows his abilities when he is fit and have very little to lose by letting his injury and recovery play out this season.

As most have said - whether he can get back or not is the million dollar question.

I'll let medical professionals smarter than me work that one out.

So Nut

On What basis would you give him a new contract at the end of this year

What criteria would you use?

Really gotta feel for the kid. With everything he has gone through, I hope he can get back to playing some good footy.

I know I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that he'll make it back and run out for us again.

• Like 2

I think people are underestimating both his talent and determination. Maybe it's pie in the sky but I think we have not seen the last of Jack and I hope the club sticks by him.

CF...the reality is it will have nothing to do with either of these qualities...and I agree they are admirable. It all comes down to ...Will his foot be good enough to sustain the rigours of AFL footy.

He can be as determined as he likes but if his foot won't toe the line then he's not going to make it. He cant will his foot better. If its stuffed, its stuffed.And I think its stuffed.

But I concur with the many..its a damn shame. Nice bloke

• Like 1

This thread is distasteful.

JT is a guy that has worked tireslessly for our club. He get Sweet FA respect from some here and he deserves more.

Has clearly received devastating injuries and is working his backside off to try to come back and play again.

No-one knows whether he will return but he is giving it his best shot which is more than can be said for some our players over the past decade.

He has my support and I wish him the very best. His best football is fantastic. Lets all hope he can get back on the park to show us.

• Like 10

This thread is distasteful.

No its not and I take umbrage at the suggestion.

We are talking about a player and his ability to play. pretty straightforward...if youre offended...may I suggest you dont read or contribute

• Like 2

No its not and I take umbrage at the suggestion.

We are talking about a player and his ability to play. pretty straightforward...if youre offended...may I suggest you dont read or contribute

You can take your umbrage and do with it what you will.

You clearly don't like JT. I do.

I think he needs our support. And he deserves it.

You can take your umbrage and do with it what you will.

You clearly don't like JT. I do.

I think he needs our support. And he deserves it.

You nong...Show me ANYWHERE where I have suggested I dont LIKE Trengove... go on or plss off

I have time and time again said I respect his efforts and determination. What i counter that with is REALITY...you dont like that well tough shlt !!

hes got a dud foot and is highly unlikely imho to ever resume at AFL level. Thats not DISLIKE you fool thats acceptance

• Like 1

You are all forgetting that Mitch Clark has had the same injury, almost the same time off and has depression, Geelong snapped him up quick smart.

Yep. And he is injured again

And older.

Problem with Jack is The Club and himself played with injury for 2 years

He is now paying for that.

Thrash a nice motor without regular maintenance and it will crack the head amongst other things...

• Like 1

You are all forgetting that Mitch Clark has had the same injury, almost the same time off and has depression, Geelong snapped him up quick smart.

injuries may be similar... but the intricateness and details are probably different as to one individual and another.

I'm surmising upon evidence presented. he hasnt ahd any real success in its healing. It was worse that first thought and the remedial efforts didnt take hold as hoped.

By all means lets hoe for a full recovery. Hes got ability. But he'll need to regain total fitness, total confidence in ability to load foot, The body has to reciprocate that confidence and hold up over time and rigour. He has to find fitness, match fitness and form...if and a BIG IF he can even get foot to come to party.

i dont question the lad, i question the reality of him ever playing again. Shouldnt be hard to apportion a difference. Is apparently :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Emotion getting the better of people Beeb

There is no way JT should have kept playing when he could not run or kick over 30-35 metres.

It was irresponsible from all concerned

Playing an injured JT just because he was Captain.

What a cop out that whole Captain thing was.

Schwab desperation is my bet on that.

What a pack of stroppy angry old men we are.

Don't hold back, let it rip you cranky basturds. Ah gotta love it, the smell of napalm in the morning.

• Like 1