Training - Friday 9th January, 2015

The Devil Inside

Kind of surprised at Tyson. Definitely needs a bigger tank.

I wouldn't worry. Saty was rolling alongside him on his scooter asking him about his interest in the EPL and where he gets his hair done. Hard to chat and run a good trial at the same time

Edited by binman
  • Like 6

I'm assuming the back half of that list came in very close to eachother, so while I don't like that Tyson and Jetta came in late, it may still not be worth getting concerned about.

More disappointed in Kent, Michie and particularly Garland. At this rate, Garland doesn't make my team..

Wrapped for Grimes, excited to see his return to form this year.

• Like 4

This is his first full pre-season... managed to be awesome last year so i'm not worried at all!

Also for what it's worth Gary Ablett is not in the top 15 at Gold Coast time trials.

• Like 3

With out being there you would find that less that a minute would have covered the players mentioned. Some players are elite runners at 3km to get with in 1 minute of these guys doesn't mean you are less fitter than them it just means they have the capacity to run at a higher speed for the 3km.

Lets face it a 3km time trial is to monitor your own progress not you against the team, I'm sure we will have a much fitter Tyson and Jetta and everybody else than we had last year.

Edited by drdrake
  • Like 5

McDonald, Bail and Nicholson seemed to be the dominant runners in previous years, so I'm not surprised to see McDonald and Bail up the front again. But I don't recall McKenzie's name being there previously. Is this level of fitness (or running ability) something new for him or have I just not previously noticed? I appreciate that being a good runner is in itself not enough to be a good footballer. But if you're not blessed with other skills, it's not a bad start.

McDonald, Bail and Nicholson seemed to be the dominant runners in previous years, so I'm not surprised to see McDonald and Bail up the front again. But I don't recall McKenzie's name being there previously. Is this level of fitness (or running ability) something new for him or have I just not previously noticed? I appreciate that being a good runner is in itself not enough to be a good footballer. But if you're not blessed with other skills, it's not a bad start.

For McKenzie as a tagger, having a dominant engine is 100% vital.

• Like 1

The gap between T-Mac and Tyson was 1 minute.

The gap between Tyson and Petracca was about 25 seconds.

The gap between Petracca and Garland was 30 seconds.

EDIT: Frost actually finished five seconds before Garland.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry. Saty was rolling alongside him on his scooter asking him about his interest in the EPL and where he gets his hair done. Hard to chat and run a good trial at the same time

Why do I seriously believe this.

Anyhow some really surprising names down in the bottom half. Also shows how Petracca has a long way to go. Was expecting Toumpas Salem Kent and Michie to be a bit up further aswell.

Good on JKH absolutely wrapt for him.

My surprise is Mitchell White.

Thats actually reads alot better now.

Cheers for that!

• Like 1

JKH finishing 21 seconds after T-Mac is a brilliant result for a second year player.

Positively rapt for the kid, he's clearly worked his ass off since last season ended, both on weights and endurance. Have a feeling he'll hit the ground running from round 1.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 3

JKH finishing 21 seconds after T-Mac is a brilliant result for a second year player.

Positively rapt for the kid, he's clearly worked his ass off since last season ended, both on weights and endurance. Have a feeling he'll hit the ground running from round 1.

Absolutely its a remarkable effort. I never knew he was a good long distant runner. I know Loves half forward who have a big engine and can run up and back like Ben Mcglyn.
  • Like 1

Did T-Mac run a PB?

This would probably be McKenzie's first full pre season, I'm not sure he's ever done a pre. From my memory he's always been in the rehab group at this stage of the year. Maybe people should remember this before writing him off.

• Like 3

The gap between the 2 as players, light years.

• Like 1

He dislocated his patella on the 19th Dec, so I doubt he's conditioned right now to run the time trials.

Of course! I forgot about that. He might have been able to push T-Mac if he was fit.

I think the club was looking for all players to do PB's not so much the actual time/finishing place. Hopefully, we get to hear about the PB's from the club.

If Jordie is getting a game in 2015 then we have not developed or improved as a team as much as we all wish / need to.

Or alternatively McKenzie has improved exponentially...

Very impressed with White's reported placing in the time trial.

I keep forgetting who he is, and thinking "Jeff is still at the club?"

Didn't realise he was such a good runner, but he beat a few that are lauded for their running ability, at the same stage of their careers (Brayshaw and Stretch) and even Toumpas has a couple of years in the system on him.

Great effort at this early stage. Maybe a decent fine for us, although not going to participate in the hyperbole.

• Like 1