• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who is shaping as a surprise packet for Melbourne in 2015?

Whispering_Jack

Jones will still be our best but I expect Tyson to at least be his equal by the conclusion of 2016. He is capable of cementing himself as an A grader (or what I determine to be an A grader) next season.

I don't underrate Tyson my friend. I just don't think he'll be one of the top five players in the league next season. Are you still standing by that btw?

I know you don't...

Top 5 mids I'll still go with just not sure how we will measure it. Brownlow votes, AA honours or Mikes top 50.

I would lock him in to break Jones' Bluey run.

I know you don't...

Top 5 mids I'll still go with just not sure how we will measure it. Brownlow votes, AA honours or Mikes top 50.

I would lock him in to break Jones' Bluey run.

The only one I will absolutely rule out is Mike's Top 50.

• Like 2

Wow.

34 posts into the thread and nobody has mentioned Jack Watts.

Over 100 and no mention of Col Sylvia, surely this is his year.

• Like 1

It shapes for an exciting year with so many 'potential' surprise packets. 3 & 4 yrs back it was Watts or Sylvia.

I loved Salem's work last season and think that Roos managed him really carefully. Another preseason and he should be primed to spend more time on the park. Just needs fitness to run both ways for a regular game in this team but he has elite skills and smarts.

Hogan is the next Buddy Franklin.

I would love to think you are right BUT the guy has not even played one game for the Dees. (Not counting pre season games). He looks a very likely prospect but we shall have to wait and see what happens.

I remember John Tilbrook only too well. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying Hogan is another Tilbrook.

I would love to think you are right BUT the guy has not even played one game for the Dees. (Not counting pre season games). He looks a very likely prospect but we shall have to wait and see what happens.

I remember John Tilbrook only too well. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying Hogan is another Tilbrook.

It's a very safe bet though - it's not like he's a 17 year old who has only played junior footy... we've already seen how good he is in the VFL, last year's NAB cup and he's blistering on the training track. There's very little chance that for some reason he won't work out as an AFL player.. injury is about the only thing that can screw him.

It's a very safe bet though - it's not like he's a 17 year old who has only played junior footy... we've already seen how good he is in the VFL, last year's NAB cup and he's blistering on the training track. There's very little chance that for some reason he won't work out as an AFL player.. injury is about the only thing that can screw him.

I think Hogan is much fitter and more adaptable, but I also look at someone like Hawkins who after a great debut took years to find his true form and even Jay Schulz, who is now a reliable key forward at Port who had to change clubs to get to that level.

Then there's someone like Joe Daniher who's a great talent but can go from kicking 4 one week to 4 touches the next.

Hogan will have his good and bad days for sure this year. What I'm excited about is that he wont be afraid to have a go. So unless he really struggles he should be able to do something positive most weeks that keeps us excited. Even Salem this year, even though he was a sub and didn't have the match fitness, most weeks he laid a strong tackle, or dished off a clever handball or kick or used his body to protect the ball.

I don't know whether it qualifies as a surprise packet but I'm hoping Newton can just slot in and make an impact virtually straight away, as Tyson did last year.

The addition of just a single extra competent mid would do wonders for Jones, Tyson et al.

If Salem and Toumpas can also put some consistent footy together, then we'll be well on our way I think.

I also like the fact that many other posts in this thread have advanced some convincing arguments about why other players on the list could, should and will lift this year.

It enables me to dream that just maybe we are all correct and 2015 will be a good one for the MFC.

• Like 1

You mark my underpants....I mean words......JFK will not disappoint in '15.

By the way, I had an excellent steak frite all washed down with a bottle of young, fruity Cote du Rhone.

I thought so!

Jokes aside that sounds like a nice way to spend lunch time on this glorious Melbourne day.

Edited by old dee

Please see below for links to some great CHFs who Hogan may be compared to. Turn your attention to the first two seasons of their careers:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-hawthorn-hawks--jarryd-roughead

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-brisbane-lions--jonathan-brown

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-adelaide-crows--wayne-carey

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-st-kilda-saints--nick-riewoldt

Now I understand that Hogan has been with us for a couple of years already, but considering he hasn't played a single AFL game yet, I don't think it is unreasonable to treat this year like any players first.

If he kicks over 40 goals I will eat my hat.

Edited by Davos
  • Like 1

Probably a fair comparison to look at all those players' second years

Roughead - 20 games 12 goals
Brown - 25 games 38 goals
Carey - 21 games 38 goals
Riewoldt - 21 games 22 goals

in which case you are correct, 40 goals would be quite a feat in a side that will finish about 10th IMO

• Like 1

Probably a fair comparison to look at all those players' second years

Roughead - 20 games 12 goals

Brown - 25 games 38 goals

Carey - 21 games 38 goals

Riewoldt - 21 games 22 goals

in which case you are correct, 40 goals would be quite a feat in a side that will finish about 10th IMO

i don't think these were permanent full forwards in their first 2 years

I just watched the training footage on the Melbourne website and whilst it only goes for a couple of minutes Jones is clearly on another level compared to most players. Any surprise packets will need to step up a long way to have an impact for Melbourne.

what a bizarre comment - have you got on the gas early or something?

so you watch 2 minutes of footy (footage that just shows a bunch of blokes running around reveals absolutely nothing BTW)

and your conclusion is that we have 43 rubbish players on the list

seriously dude wtf

• Like 2

so you watch 2 minutes of footy (footage that just shows a bunch of blokes running around reveals absolutely nothing BTW)

seriously dude wtf

I'm waiting for my boy Viney to explode in 2015, he looks like a ball of muscle ready to rip at it. Its all about the younger guys going another level with HL, Gartlett, Newton stepping in and taking a lot of pressure of those guys.

Edited by BrisbaneDemon

I'm waiting for my boy Viney to explode in 2015, he looks like a ball of muscle ready to rip it it. Its all about the younger guys going another level with HL, Gartlett, Newton stepping in and taking a lot of pressure of those guys.

according to Clint he is an absolute hack based on the 2 mins of training footage he doesnt even appear in

I just watched the training footage on the Melbourne website and whilst it only goes for a couple of minutes Jones is clearly on another level compared to most players. Any surprise packets will need to step up a long way to have an impact for Melbourne.

Amazing conclusion. All I could conclude is that the surface they were playing on would make the Ethiad ice-rink look stable.

• Like 2

seriously dude wtf

Reading not your strong point?