THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

I am always amazed at this situation.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out 90% of them. If my memory is correct didn't the HUN publish the list some time ago?

Agree OD...attempts to protect (hide) are futile. They WILL be outed...as they should.

Agree OD...attempts to protect (hide) are futile. They WILL be outed...as they should.

They most probably will but they've got good reason to protect the identities of those concerned ... if it was public knowledge, and all 34 players were being constantly named, you'd reckon that eventually at least one of them would 'spill the beans" to a hungry media (in reality, the media haven't been anywhere near hungry enough)

As it stands, the solidarity has been remarkable and I'm astonished that not one player has broken ranks publicly (with a tell-all)

Sporting clubs can be very 'tight' when they want to be but what about those who have been delisted? ... draw your own conclusions on that one 'bb' ^_^

They most probably will but they've got good reason to protect the identities of those concerned ... if it was public knowledge, and all 34 players were being constantly named, you'd reckon that eventually at least one of them would 'spill the beans" to a hungry media (in reality, the media haven't been anywhere near hungry enough)

As it stands, the solidarity has been remarkable and I'm astonished that not one player has broken ranks publicly (with a tell-all)

Sporting clubs can be very 'tight' when they want to be but what about those who have been delisted? ... draw your own conclusions on that one 'bb' ^_^

Fear is also a powerful motivator

Macca..its not that hard to figure out the most of them. Its ridiculous pretentiousness.

Me thinks the dam's cracked anyway;)

Macca..its not that hard to figure out the most of them. Its ridiculous pretentiousness.

Me thinks the dam's cracked anyway;)

Fear is also a powerful motivator

Yep, so is money. What player would want to curtail his own earning capacity? Players would be acutely aware about keeping their own house in order - going back to the average wage is for most of them, a huge fall.

Money can motivate in other ways of course - 'settlements' are often reached. Employee agreements even after termination can be binding can't they?

Macca...id say the EFC have already trodden on the contractual obligations !! If a player id be treading heavily back.

But then im not as stupid as most of this lot. Just saying

Macca...id say the EFC have already trodden on the contractual obligations !! If a player id be treading heavily back.

But then im not as stupid as most of this lot. Just saying

What we're witnessing is an aberration though ... why have so many kept so quiet? I agree with you on what you'd do if you were a player and I'd almost certainly do the same.

But ... we're not directly involved so let's look for the logical answer ... in my mind it's a mixture of protecting their own career, they've been brainwashed, they don't want to admit guilt, they may have been paid off (or have reached a settlement) and as old dee suggested, they're fearful of the consequences of coming clean.

Careers can be over very quickly in the AFL and a lot of players still aren't very well prepared for life after footy - especially if you're in your early 20's.

Macca.. I in essence concur. From the get go its all been bizarre. I dont get the stance shown by players. Its odd.

In this case the players are on a winner.

If they are absolved of participating in a drug enhancement program they continue in an almost exalted role as a continuing player with attendant rewards and long term compensation from the club for their loyalty

If they are seen to use drug enhancement program they sue the bejeesus out of the club for long term compensation

It's no surprise that the story was "broken" by Robbo. He's essentially become their head of media relations since this whole saga began. I'd like to see them try this because they won't win any friends at the AFL, and it'll just cause more backlash for the players and club.

So fricken sick of this, Hird's dragged it out based on his own ego and now is bringing the players to his level by trying to create a "woe is me" situation. That said I admire the players claim to want to protect the identities of those facing the music. Feels like they're drawing out the inevitable though.

He is cheap! - 2 bottles of chianti and a pizza.

Come to think of it that aint bad after all

• Like 1

The other thing to remember is that if one of the 34 were to break ranks and admit guilt, he'd probably have to do it 'Martin Vinnicombe' style. That ended badly.

We've heard every excuse in the book over the years from spiked drinks to "it was in the steak I ate" (slimming tablet anyone?)

Quite frankly, I don't believe the public could 'stomach' another excuse ... especially when considering the amount of injections (thousands)

The other thing is do you put your mates in it?

Former teammates are often still 'mates'

I personally think guys like crameri, monfries, Ryder will think about their career ahead of the club who did the wrong thing, I'd say if anyone was going to confess its them

Dank was just on ABC radio repeating his line that he will only provide his side of the case to a proper legal process, presumably a court. No one ever seems to ask him under what law would such a proceeding be held? What would be the criminal charge or is he just hoping all the truth would be revealed in an action for libel? Is he calling for a Royal Commission?

Hot air.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Dank was just on ABC radio repeating his line that he will only provide his side of the case to a proper legal process, presumably a court. No one ever seems to ask him under what law would such a proceeding be held? What would be the criminal charge or is he just hoping all the truth would be revealed in an action for libel? Is he calling for a Royal Commission?

Hot air.

Was he standing by the fence at the time?

Hot air.

I still don't see why the TGA or the medical board can't investigate or deregister him. Surely he has to be licensed by someone to prescribe 16000 injections of hocus pocus.....

He seems to walking the streets without anyone holding him to account. How is that so??

I personally think guys like crameri, monfries, Ryder will think about their career ahead of the club who did the wrong thing, I'd say if anyone was going to confess its them

My money would be on Ryder, he did seem pretty keen to leave the place.

The other thing is do you put your mates in it?

Former teammates are often still 'mates'

This is what I think Little and Lard have been relying on...mates dont dob etc. Tis folly. Fair dinkum outfits dont experiment on players. The bombers (players) have themselves been played....to a tee.

Id have no hesitation once realising the truth and self predicament with calling the AFLPA and if no help then ASADA themselves. Id also be comnanding big bucks to talk to the media. Me and my family would come first. .especially after being thrown under the train by your own club !!!

Edited by beelzebub

Hot air.

Hird it too sue. He's certifiable. Kept going about bringing asada and afl to justice but could not articulate how he was going to achieve this

I don't think you can be found innocent.

You may be not guilty but this may be a long way from being found innocent.

You may be guilty as hell but with insufficient evidence found not guilty, if you know what I mean.

Joh Bjelke Petersen says 'Hi'.