THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

Quite frankly, we would all be better off if they expelled Essendon from the AFL, established a new franchise in Canberra and let their 'innocent' players form the basis for the new team (to be coached by Bomber Thompson)!

• Like 2

All AFL players are lectured to and listen to whatever BS the club sticks on a whiteboard. When a 33 yr old premiership player recites propaganda from his new club, which Chappy has just done it indicates to me how the young kids (and their parents) swallowed the cr@p about the injections.

It just shows how hard they try to do their job. It shows to me what a disgrace that those officers of EFC who aremost guilty will be exonerated and those just trying be a team member will get flogged.

whatever is done to the players should be nothing compared to what is done to the people who have done all this. And I think it has to have been and still be so widely spread through the people running the club that there would be nothing left but the players.

Quite frankly, we would all be better off if they expelled Essendon from the AFL, established a new franchise in Canberra and let their 'innocent' players form the basis for the new team (to be coached by Bomber Thompson)!

Canberra is not the only option. How well are GWS doing there?

Big milestone approaching in Tassie, with AFL attending and meetings planned I believe...

Edited by robbiefrom13
  • Like 1

That is never going to happen they are simply too big and the total effect on the AFL would be large.

Please stop letting your hatred of the EFC get in the road of the real world position.

The vast majority of non EFC footy followers really don't care any more.

They want the competition back to normal and the penalties finalised ASAP.

Most people I know don't care about wada or international penalties.

Local small time attitude ? Yes

Just what I think the majority feel at this point.

• Like 2

That is never going to happen they are simply too big and the total effect on the AFL would be large.

Please stop letting your hatred of the EFC get in the road of the real world position.

The vast majority of non EFC footy followers really don't care any more.

They want the competition back to normal and the penalties finalised ASAP.

Most people I know don't care about wada or international penalties.

Local small time attitude ? Yes

Just what I think the majority feel at this point.

"Haters gotta hate!" . . Lance Armstrong attempting to put down his critics.

"Haters gotta hate!" . . Lance Armstrong attempting to put down his critics.

Can you explain to me how throwing the EFC out of the competition is of benefit to the AFL as a whole?

I am struggling with how dis enfranchising the second largest supporter group helps the AFL overall.

Can you explain to me how throwing the EFC out of the competition is of benefit to the AFL as a whole?

I am struggling with how dis enfranchising the second largest supporter group helps the AFL overall.

They have sinned and shall be cast from heaven! (it is Sunday isn't it?)

But disenfranchising the rest of the entire support base by there actions is ok?

I find the whole Ess is needed in the comp argument hard to swallow. The game will evolve and move on no matter what, it will take a hit but it's is probably needed. A wake up call for all clubs and the AFL.

• Like 2

But disenfranchising the rest of the entire support base by there actions is ok?

I find the whole Ess is needed in the comp argument hard to swallow. The game will evolve and move on no matter what, it will take a hit but it's is probably needed. A wake up call for all clubs and the AFL.

This where we differ Cards

What proof do have of your statement.

I know a lot of AFl devotees who are the reverse.

The mistake I see lots on here make is they assume that the general public feels the same as us fanatics on Demonland.

We represent 0.01% of the football lovers .

• Like 3

The mistake I see lots on here make is they assume that the general public feels the same as us fanatics on Demonland.

In Australia minorities are not always disadvantaged!!

So you have proof afl fans would be happy for Ess to get off or get off lightly.

I think that's right Doctor.

However, I am really sick of all the hypocrisy around drug use. I am not condoning Essendon's behaviour. They deserve sanction and punishment, however, lets be realistic. The Bombers are not alone. Perhaps the thing that differentiates them from others has been the fact that unlike others they have been caught and outed. In addition, Essendon had a highly organized program with a heavy injection regime over a short period of time. We have never before known of an organized and systemic program as that implemented by the EFC. The Club, its coach and club officials have not helped themselves in the way they have behaved since it became public.

However we know that drug use has been part of professional sport for decades. This includes the VFL/AFL. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fools paradise. The drug of choice from the early 1970's was steroids and other similar substances commonly found in gyms around the country, and were often taken over summer during weigh training and gym work. As gym junkies know they are often distributed by trainers and power lifters/bodybuilders.

Two successful clubs in the seventies had a reputation for this activity. As an aside, footballers who have taken or been on "the roids" take on a different look particularly jaw lines, neck, shoulders, legs etc. They become thicker through the trunk. The shape is not induced by weight training alone. Anyone involved in athletics knows the body type from looking at Olympic 100m sprinters. Anecdotally, it seems that drug use in footy has been more random and left to the individual rather than being part of a program initiated or endorsed by the club. In the past, players often did gym work away from the club or had contacts within the gym world. Clubs preferred not to know.

Since the early 1990s we have seen the impact of sports science and increased sophistication of drug use. We are all rightly suspicious about some of the power clubs from 1990-early 2000. For example, the use of growth hormone has been popular in sports such as athletics because of the difficulty of detection. Drug testing in the AFL has been very limited compared to other sports such as cycling. I have always been annoyed by comments from AFL administrators (particularly Demetriou) about the drug culture in cycling knowing what they must know. Its all about protecting and promoting "the brand." As with cycling there has been a code of silence within VFL/AFL about drug use. Administrators, ex-players and media commentators (particularly ex-players) have maintained the silence. Players seeking a competitive advantage are not going to tell others what they have done.

So by all means one can condemn Essendon but let's not pretend that others in the football world are innocent bystanders. Perhaps the scope and magnitude is different but lets not think that drug use has been confined to the EFC players.

Agreed - Justin Charles wanted to talk 15 years before the EFC story broke and the AFL didn't want to hear it.

Dale Lewis made comments (about recreational drug use) and was ostracised by the competition and media.

Maybe I missed something here, but what happened to that clause where if more than 2 players in the same sporting team are found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, then the entire team faces sanctions (ie. can't compete)?

I think it remains up to the relevant competitions discretion.

I think it remains up to the relevant competitions discretion.

possibly; but I read the code as imposing sone impetus and fabric to this.

Something will need to be meeted out as a punishment lest WADA get niggled me thinks

So you have proof afl fans would be happy for Ess to get off or get off lightly.

As I said only among friends and acquaintances Cards and I am not pretending that is a large survey.

All I am trying to say is that the hate by some on here I don't think is reflected in the general community.

Edited by old dee

As I said only among friends and acquaintances Cards and I am not prenending that is a large survey.

All I am trying to say is that the hate by some on here I don't think is reflected in the general community.

Cannot agree with that OD.

I think the average AFL non Essendon Supporter will hate them quite openly

It is only Rohan Conolly who is pushing the "People are sick of this, just let it go away wagon"