Mark Neeld head of development at the Bombers

Jack Jack Tappy

irrelevant poster

Irreverent, Irrelevant, indelible, implausible, iridescent, illuminating, infuriating, infatuating, yep all of these, but I am above and beyond the irrepressible "Picket Fence"

• Like 1

Give me a break guys, talk about looking in the rear-vision mirror and hitting the tree.

I can tell you from a personal level, Neeld was out of his depth 1 month in at this club - he personally told me. If you think that the win/loss impact of Roos (who according to the associated avatars on this forum has more nous than any coach going around) was $equivalently different from what Mark Neeld delivered, then shoot me down. The guy had his reputation, his career and his income smashed in the experience at MFC and just for your info, he was on pretty low $. Maybe that's all he deserved I hear you saying.....get a life, move on and leave the poor bloke alone. If you want to blast me, maybe focus the replies on Lyon and co who decided he was the man for the job.

I'm out, you guys are a pack of rabid drifters - and if you need to learn the definition of a drifter, read some Napoleon Hill

Really good post M'kaaay. As soon as I read the title for this thread, I felt pleased. For Mark Neeld.

Neeld was clearly out of his depth at this club. I agree, this was not entirely his fault - although he did seem to contribute to it. Pretty actively.

That said, I think he did what he felt was best for the club whilst he was here, and he should be respected for that.

I too wish him good luck with the next gig. Endorse these sentiments absolutely.

Stoked that our coaching panel now consists of Roos, Goodwin and McCartney though.

• Like 3

Give me a break guys, talk about looking in the rear-vision mirror and hitting the tree.

I can tell you from a personal level, Neeld was out of his depth 1 month in at this club - he personally told me. If you think that the win/loss impact of Roos (who according to the associated avatars on this forum has more nous than any coach going around) was $equivalently different from what Mark Neeld delivered, then shoot me down. The guy had his reputation, his career and his income smashed in the experience at MFC and just for your info, he was on pretty low $. Maybe that's all he deserved I hear you saying.....get a life, move on and leave the poor bloke alone. If you want to blast me, maybe focus the replies on Lyon and co who decided he was the man for the job.

I'm out, you guys are a pack of rabid drifters - and if you need to learn the definition of a drifter, read some Napoleon Hill

If he was so far out of his depth, why was he incapable of writing his own B&F speech???

His reputation at collingwood{personal friend tells so}was pretty good at development and he was highly regarded.

Walked into a beartrap here and didnt have the coconuts to work through it.

Doesnt mean hes not a good development coach though.

• Like 2

Great post and I respect you for coming on here and defending the guy.

At the end of the day its good from a human nature point of view that he has a job in the AFL again. He really was a very highly rated assistant coach at Collingwood just ask Scott Pendlebury.

He tried what what he thought was best for the footy club and he did install proper AFL training standard. Its not like he got appointed to try and fail this club im sure he tried his best just like we all do when we head into a new working environment.

All the best Neeldy.

• Like 14

I agree. Leave him alone.

If Mark got a job as a coach at a more successful club, I have no doubt he would still be coaching at AFL level.

He had to make some tough calls with our list and turn over quite a lot of players. It didn't help that Jesse Hogan was ineligible to play when we were screaming out for a forward line.

The media basically treated him like a pedophile before he was sacked.

He was clearly not ready to take on a club with so many problems, but was clearly highly rated before coming to the Dees, so good luck to him at the Bombers.

Edited by jezhug
  • Like 3

Wow. That's.... proportionate.

And...

Mark Neeld personally told you within a month of starting that he was out of his depth?

And he continued as senior coach, knowing he was failing?

Yeah, that totally turns things around.

Anyway, apparently he was an effective assistant coach at the Pies. Maybe he'll be fine at Essendon.

Best of luck to him, interesting to see he and Neil Craig back together.

Maybe he'll find himself as the emergency stand-in senior coach if Thompson is moved on, then Hird is ejected, Bassett wisely says no, and the place generally implodes.

• Like 4

Source is the 7 news tonight. Reason I'm so shocked is his lack of relationship with players. However he apparently did have a good relationship with the Collingwood players. As a head coach he was an ar@@sole!

Cheers Brent

• Like 1

lol @ the Neeld - Craig reunion

at the Bummers of all places

Well at least when Hird gets banned for life they will have 3 guys that have coached AFL ready to replace him

forgot about that... Is quite interesting certainly.

Essendon are epitomising the notion of 'Strangelands"

Good luck to him and good to see him in back in the AFL.

At the end of the day he wasn't right for us (or senior coaching) but he did what he though was right for the club.

The vitriol hurled at him by some here make it seem like he murdered someone....not coached a football club.

Anyone laughing, slandering, wishing him to fail etc. are pathetic. That's fact.

• Like 3

Good luck to him and good to see him in back in the AFL.

At the end of the day he wasn't right for us (or senior coaching) but he did what he though was right for the club.

The vitriol hurled at him by some here make it seem like he murdered someone....not coached a football club.

Anyone laughing, slandering, wishing him to fail etc. are pathetic. That's fact.

I don't think you know what happened at the club when he was there. I thinks it's important we remember.

lol @ the Neeld - Craig reunion

at the Bummers of all places

Well at least when Hird gets banned for life they will have 3 guys that have coached AFL ready to replace him

Ironic that we've exchanged some MFC DNA (Craig, Neeld) for some Essendon DNA (Jackson, Goodwin).

Probably on the better side of this trade.

• Like 3

Ironic that we've exchanged some MFC DNA (Craig, Neeld) for some Essendon DNA (Jackson, Goodwin).

Probably on the better side of this trade.

as we are with our new development coach.

Thats not a disguised go at anyone...just a simple statement of fact.

Essendon isnt proving a particularly desirable destination for a lot of people.

Most interesting thing on the Bombers website is that the Club has two Senior Coaches.

That place must be a nightmare to work for.

Plus they they spell Nathan Bassett name as Nathan Basssett.

Can they get anything right?

I assume its either ASADA or the AFL fault for these issues!

Edited by DemonFrog
  • Like 1

I don't think you know what happened at the club when he was there. I thinks it's important we remember.

If you mean inside the club then you're right I don't know. Can you enlighten?

I'm aware he was a hard taskmaster and upset some. Ironically that's what a lot of us were asking for after Bailey.

How many times have the players backhanded the neeld era with a comment on how the club is a positive place to operate in 'now' . Roosy has implemented a management style that works . Authority barking pretentious bully boys need not apply . Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes . Bombers are on a role lately .

I'm laughing at this 'development' news not because I wish him to fail or any personal bitterness towards Neeld, but because I hate the Bombers & can see this as potentially another nail in their coffin under Hird. Obviously by that statement however, I don't rate Neeld much for this role. And why would I based on what I saw of him here, he was hardly brilliant with youngsters as our head coach, thrusting them into leadership roles they shouldn't have had placed on them, pushing them to play through injuries before their young bodies were ready!! Maybe he's toned it down a bit since then?!?!?

Enjoy the development youngsters at EFC, he did wonders for our boy's careers!!

Hahahahahaha

Wow. That's.... proportionate.

And...

Mark Neeld personally told you within a month of starting that he was out of his depth?

And he continued as senior coach, knowing he was failing?

Yeah, that totally turns things around.

Anyway, apparently he was an effective assistant coach at the Pies. Maybe he'll be fine at Essendon.

Best of luck to him, interesting to see he and Neil Craig back together.

Maybe he'll find himself as the emergency stand-in senior coach if Thompson is moved on, then Hird is ejected, Bassett wisely says no, and the place generally implodes.

His actual words to me were that he hadn't come across such negativity from a group AFL players and that at a purely personal level with them, he was struggling to see a way through the black-dogs that he was working with....can I recall Roos saying something similar, maybe more succinctly?

Anyway, a done argument, time to move on as none of this really goes anywhere

• Like 4