St. Kilda's Pelchen quits

Whispering_Jack

Off Twitter

It probably won't affect the first draft selection but who knows?

doubt it...theyve got it locked up Im sure.

The Saints are in lose / lose situation . if they don't take Petracca they will slaughtered as he is bound to have an impact next year , if they don't one of the 2 tall options and they hit there straps in 1-2 years when Riewolt is all but finished they will be slayed for not picking the right one for nothing - I love it

• Like 4

Heard a whisper, some dissention in the camp over who should be number 1 draft pick might have been the straw that has broken the camels' back!

Let the guessing begin!

Who was Pelchen after and who were the Saints after? I'm guessing that Pelchen was after a tall and the Saints were after Petracca.

• Like 2

Heard a whisper, some dissention in the camp over who should be number 1 draft pick might have been the straw that has broken the camels' back!

would not be surprised. I would follow Pelchen If I were them.

the saints don't have a great record of list management & success, recent or long term.

The Saints are in lose / lose situation . if they don't take Petracca they will slaughtered as he is bound to have an impact next year , if they don't one of the 2 tall options and they hit there straps in 1-2 years when Riewolt is all but finished they will be slayed for not picking the right one for nothing - I love it

Let the guessing begin!

Who was Pelchen after and who were the Saints after? I'm guessing that Pelchen was after a tall and the Saints were after Petracca.

I'm guessing your right. as they traded that tall out...???

I wonder if any of this is due to failing to get the P-1 trade happening to GWS for the 2 pick return; & they wanted Jaksch somehow as well. missed out on all these crucial efforts... is this linked to what they did to us Re Frost ?

Pelchen does seem to wear out his welcome at clubs but he does leave their playing list far better off when he departs. Hawks. Port. Hawks again. Saints.

I'm not sure he did much at Port. He really hasn't done a lot for the saints. His reputation is based on his Hawthorn stint as list manager and pulling the right reigns on who to trade out. He didn't recruit the stars. He had a crack at recruiting and was shizen at it. I think he owes a lot to Clarko and the team around him at Hawthorn.

At the same time I'm sure he has good list management skills, it's just how you keep him in that box that's important.

I'm not sure he did much at Port. He really hasn't done a lot for the saints. His reputation is based on his Hawthorn stint as list manager and pulling the right reigns on who to trade out. He didn't recruit the stars. He had a crack at recruiting and was shizen at it. I think he owes a lot to Clarko and the team around him at Hawthorn.

At the same time I'm sure he has good list management skills, it's just how you keep him in that box that's important.

He has done a huge amount for the Saints. Their list management and trading has been excellent during his tenure.

He cleans his desk in the next week which means that he's not hanging around for the draft. You would think with first pick in the draft he would have hung around to enjoy the glitz and glamour of draft night.

Surely, if he takes a job elsewhere, he would be conflicted if he played a part in its planning for this year's draft.

hmmn, was Dermie right about Pelchen? i thought it was Pelchens baby, the list? If so, who was their recruiting guru?

Edited by dee-luded

He cleans his desk in the next week which means that he's not hanging around for the draft. You would think with first pick in the draft he would have hung around to enjoy the glitz and glamour of draft night.

Surely, if he takes a job elsewhere, he would be conflicted if he played a part in its planning for this year's draft.

Yeah....Carlton is SOooooooooo ethical :rolleyes:

He has done a huge amount for the Saints. Their list management and trading has been excellent during his tenure.

He joined them in Aug 2011:

2011:

Milera, Saad and 25 for pick 20 -- Fail

Tom Lynch for 37 -- Fail

Tommy Walsh for 35 and 68 - Win

2012:

Goddard out for 1st round FA - Ok

Sign Dylan Robertson - ?

Tom Lee, 24 and 45 for 12 - Fail

Hickey 25 and 46 for 13, 36, 55 - Hmmm?

Dennis-Lane for 46 - Fail

2013:

Dal Santo for a 2nd rounder plus Delaney for 77 - decent

McEvoy, 24, 59 for 18, 19 Savage - very good

Longer for 25 - ok, does seem to undo the McEvoy trade

Bruce for 48 - ok

2014:

Stanley and 60 for 21: Seems good so far

Moving backwards in 2012 for somewhat questionable players will be the legacy and making sure they recruited the right guys with picks later (which it seems they did).

It took balls to move on Dal Santo and Goddard. If St Kilda get stuck in mediocrity for years it wont look very good. If the draft picks do very well and they climb back up the ladder he might look smarter.

• Like 1

Pelchen signed the letter inviting me down to Hawthorn as 16 year old back in 91 - can't have been too good of a recruiter..... Although I did last a until the under 17s and 19s were disbanded...that year! They got to find out I was too short, too skinny, couldn't kick over a jam tin but was ok as an inside type. however was up against a few blokes who turned out ok ( 3 are now senior coaches! - and a few premierships at various clubs came out of that batch.) He got some very right but then again recruited little old me. :)

• Like 6

Let the guessing begin!

I have a feeling it might be the other way around. Fascinating time to go though.

HA! Are you saying this is their Watts vs Nic Nat moment?

Where are their forums at?

Let the hand-wringing commence!

• Like 1

Chips! A perfect accompaniment to a refreshingly cold Duff! Ohhh yeahhhh!

Would hate to be in St.Kildas shoes, pick 1 is a tough one. You get the dynamic mid or the tall you need. Seriously feel like there were options available to Saints but it seems they were caught napping- didn't extract any value and have forced themselves against a wall with trading out Stanly, now it looks like they either go tall or sell themselves short!

They should have downgraded and gotten one of the talls and a fancied mid. Now they have to chose. Idiots!

• Like 1