• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Whats the prediction of how we are going to go next season

ruddo

Guest Demon Abroad

Robbie Flower said he always went into every game thinking we could win. I think he meant it. Otherwise, why bother?

This thread is like listening to the experts all holding forth on who's useless and what draft pick would be overs and so on.

We hold on against the crowing naysayers, don't we? Suspend disbelief if we have to, but stick with it, talk up the good things. Like, Roos is a proven developer of under-respected players. And almost every year some club comes up out of nowhere, like we did in 87.

Why would I want to set down a guess against my team doing any good - so I can win a prize for knowing stuff before it happens? So I can have my 15 minutes like GNF did? No, I'd prefer to be a supporter.

Dunno what will happen, but so long as I can stand it, I'm there for them. And f off if you want me to tell you we're no good.

Airy fairy rubbish

We are no good - FACT

Guest Demon Abroad

This thread borders on nonsense. Youll get all the MFCSS brigade no doubt foaming all over themselves with negativity.

We havent finished assembling our list. We dont know yet who's 'training the house down' as they say. We dont know how some will come back from the Doc's house sts. We don't know how they'll gel. They could be anything. Sometimes groups/teams just click. Who honestly knows but to start off now with the idea that all is doom and gloom I honestly question why some bother.

its not a case of unrealistic expectiatons its a case of not giving in to unrealistic defeat.

We had some promise this year. yet some think we'll be dead in the water despite some bettering of the list.

I dont get some of you lot.

The list won't have to many more additions in the form of experienced players from now on and we have been down the road of expecting too much of draftees and this is not Roos model anyway

Also we have heard training the house down for years - it means nothing, every other clubs will claim the same

Also based on the last 8 years I would say that realistic expectations are bottom 2

Oh ye of little faith .... I believe 8-10 wins next year, around 12th and then the next year let the party begin!

Remember, we will not be "expecting / hoping " that that guy now at Geelong will suddenly reappear, so have moved on and will hopefully have Hogan firing.

Frost, who wants to play for us, will give a hell of a lot more than Chip, who didn't

Another preseason under Misson, and another preseason under the Roos plan will surely see improvement.

• Like 1

If we are to start to climb the ladder, we're going to need to see significant levels of improvement from the likes of our young guns (Toumpas, Salem, Tyson, Viney, Kent, McDonald, Gawn), while certain senior players need to reach another level (Dawes, Watts, Howe, Garland), and our best players from 2014 will need to perform consistently for 22 games (Jones, Vince, Cross, Dunn). On top of that, we need to have all of our fringe players performing strongly both at Casey and in the firsts so that solid performances are required to retain a spot at senior level.

I just see too many holes in our list at the moment, and our midfield doesn't even compare with most of this year's top 8 teams. I think we'll win 4-6 games, but will be more competitive over the full course of the season. We desperately need to address some needs both at the draft table this year, and through free agency and trade in 2015. There are some fantastic free agents available next year, while we've got a great opportunity to pick up some elite young talent next month. Getting another preseason into our young guys will help our cause, and I believe that while we won't escape the bottom four in 2015, there is cause for optimism from 2016 onward.

• Like 1

Of the 2015 players approx:

12 didn't play in the infamous '186' ie not scarred by that traumatic day.

13 are Roos recruits ie never 'scarrred' by Neeld or '186'

approx 6-8 had only 5 months with Neeld

Of those who endured both the186/Neeld trauma...Dunn, N Jones, Mc Donald seem to have survived ok.

So approx 30 players will be 'unscarred by the past'. Leaves about 10 'problem-children'

I tip Roos to fix the mental scars, drop the players he 'can't fix', have us playing AFL standard footy and winning this years 'winnable' games.

6-8 wins. Not fussed about ladder position.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Suspect some of the younger ones Viney and Hogan will add something as we hope will Lumumba and Garlett. So my guess is that we will stand or fall on the performance of our ruck stocks and the 2015 out of contract players on 'death row' . Depth if you like eg. Garland, Bail, Fitzpatrick etc.

We should be well placed with young players on the books after the ND - Salem, JKH, King, Frost, Brayshaw, Lever, 43 and 53. Believe something good will come from what appears to be the young talented group.

Should be capable of being competitive and causing the odd upset or two.

Next year we can really crank up the involvement in FA with serious $$$

• Like 1

From memory, we had less scoring shots than our opposition in every one of our wins this year. So for all the talk about unlucky losses, we also had some lucky wins.

This is a very ordinary group and we are a genuine wooden spoon chance for next year. Probably only St Kilda will match our mediocrity.

this is a depressing thread. it'll be interesting to see what people are predicting in March when we have wiped 2014 from our memory, finals anyone?

remember we were ahead in the last Q of 10 games this year (I think?), no reason to think we wont improve with another pre-season of Roosey and the young guys getting fitter. I predict 8-10 wins

Carn the Dees! only 6 months til round 1. woo hoo!! :-)

• Like 1

I'm very excited about next year. This year played out pretty much as I expected, which was a great effort, considering the loss of Mitch Clark and Jesse Hogan for the year. They were HUGE holes in this year, and too many forget that. We were much more competitive, defensively accountable, and as a consequence, in winning positions much more, where we were NOWHERE near it the previous year. The group predictably tired toward the end, and had too many passengers (e.g. Chip Frawley) but I enjoyed watching the team in 2014.

The pick-ups we've got so far are excellent. Speed and x-factor in Lumumba and Garlett. I don't think many on here understand how significant a fit, happy Jeff Garlett can be. He is an elite small forward. Lumumba is also an elite of the AFL, whether you like him or not. And he will have an enormous effect on 'straightening us up' out of the backline. Frost is 21 years old. At his height and size, he's got enormous upside. He's a great mate of Dom Tyson, and coming home to his family. He reminds me of David Neitz in his attributes. Billy Stretch, whilst young, has well reported professionalism and diligence. And he's got skills. I don't have a single doubt that picks 2 and 3 will be used for talent and exactly that kind of diligent culture, something we've stuffed up in the past. Not now.

I also have confidence that Michie, Riley, Salem, JKH and Viney are going to have big percentage improvements.

Then there's Jesse Hogan. If he plays 18 or so games on top of a full pre-season, all the signs point to a game changing contribution to this team.

Gear up people, Roos, Goodwin et al are building a club and a team we can be proud of, and that has pride in themselves as a 'team'. Don't discount that last bit, cos it alone will put lesser teamwork to the sword next year, and scare some of the 'big boys' of the AFL along the way.

GO YOU MIGHTY DEES!!!!!

• Like 8

We will improve, but so will most of the others.

I reckon:

• we can almost bank on solid progress from Salem and JKH;
  • we should see improvements in the likes of Tyson, Kent, Gawn, Viney and Toumpas;
  • between them, the recent trades will add some much needed run and carry, improved decision making, flexibility and proven goal kicking spark to our lineup;
  • Hogan is almost a known quantity. His inclusion should add maybe 30 or 40 goals directly from him, as well as affording less attention to the likes of Dawes, Watts and the resting ruckmen, enabling them to kick a few more, as well as increasing goal-kicking opportunities for our crummers and mids.

Combine these with:

• another year to practice and build on the Roos game style;
  • the greatly improved knowledge that the coaching staff will have acquired about our current list (coming off a very low base); and
  • with the luck that we surely deserve, a full pre-season from most of our list; and

I think we will score 85 to 95 points per game more often than we will score sub-60 points. That will make us competitive in a lot more games, and earn us maybe 8 to 10 wins.

A lot will need to go right (and it rarely has over the last decade) ............... but I've always been an optimist.

• Like 1

Hey Weber are you as excited as this time last year?

Different kind of excitement. I was very happy about Roos and George Stone, and the admin stability, and thought we'd improve on field, largely on account of a fit Mitch Clark.....hmmmm. I was aware there would be teething issues with a new way though. So I'm anticipating a much more obvious playing improvement for 2015.

I feel good about our defence.

Our midfield as it stands is the worst in the AFL, but with real greater contributions from a developing Viney, and contributions from some of the kids we can improve that standing.

A fit Hogan and a firing Garlett could make an enormous amount of difference in the front half.

I feel that we will have greater depth in 2015 with more numbers of AFL standard players on the list.

Speed through the centre will still be a major issue.

We are still largely an unknown quantity as our results are going to dependent upon improvement of youngish players which as Dees supporters we do not expect. I want to expect it now, like other clubs do.

Edited by jabberwocky

Footy is a funny game, unless you're losing all the time then one doesn't laugh too much. The game though , despite a growing trend to measure it by numbers , is really about what binds those numbers together..i.e the +, the - , the x and the / . A lot of this stems from playing together as a team, in unison , to the one beat. When this happens , things happen and can do so at an almost exponential rate. Experience, confidence, maturity. These aspects can be the difference between a well put together string of passes and handballs as compared a fumble and a turn over.

Footy is often described as a game %10 below the neck and the rest between the ears. Over the years I've played a few sports , some team and of those there were the ones that gelled and the ones that didn't. Not much in between. When you gel as a group synergy develops and the two effects are + and X. You can suddenly pull off those team plays and get to that tackle or punch . It works, you get the upper hand and the opposition is under the pump. Their game is being thwarted by the - and /.

Footy is almost a classic 'sliding doors' scenario. Things that could be, or aren't and often it's only a blink or a hesitation between them.

It's interesting to note the types now coming into the mix. I'd describe them as doers. The likes of Lumumba and Garlett will back themselves AND their team mates to perform and just get on with it. This will complement the styles of Tyson, Vince , Jones Viney as I predict there will be less 2nd guessing and reverting to bad habits. With the right players those training drills DO transpose to the game. The Game Plan IS understood and carried out. With a good team sheet all are on the same page and this is , for mine, where the old adage comes to mind: a Champion team and not necessarily a Team of Champions .

If you get the mix right you end up whereby the sum is greater than its components suggest. All too often everyone keeps their sights peeled for this 'saviour' champion to arrive. He'll fix it all, he'll make it happen. We'll be OK then.

A machine won't work if you don't have all the parts, or it may work but not effectively. That's been us. I don't think our version of the machine is any world beater yet but I think at least all the parts are there now. Some could be refined, enhanced even , but the list is starting to look like a capable team. If this is the case then I see no reason to be dour on our potential to play a competitive brand of footy, and again, footy's a funny game.

Go Dees

• Like 3

Let's see the Fixture. Last couple of years have been fair to us - we haven't delivered. How many times will we play Tiges and Saints?

I'm thinking four wins next year if we had the same draw.

This time last year I not picked us to beat Adelaide over there and finalists Carlton, Richmond. And if we had to have one win all year I would have picked my hated Essendon and we got it. But I would not have picked it.

Then we dropped games we thought we could win - one of the Doggies matches, GWS, Saints.

For us, it really depends on the mix of the draw. And the start.