Read my lips says Josh Mahoney

Whispering_Jack

Lever is 192cm, 1cm shorter then McCartin and loves to take the game on and make the move to the midfield.

Hope we take this kid over Petracca. Think Brayshaws a given with the other pick.

Forget Petracca, he is gone.

Seems to be widely speculated that we decided to go for the best of the best rather than settle for mere great midfielders, hence we haven't even bothered getting involved in deals for types like Greenwood/Hallahan and so forth. I'm assuming pick 3 + 12 + 23 was the currency we intended to work with, and when that fell to pieces the respective clubs probably demanded 2 & 3 or something equally insane. Roos is big on Brayshaw so he's probably canned the whole thing.

This frustrates the hell out of me because in a draft that supposedly goes deep for midfield talent, early picks hold much less currency. And for a club like ours, the difference between pick 3 and say ~10 is minor if we're trying to bring in a good young mid. Unfortunately all the other clubs would be acutely aware of that, and thus aren't entertaining our deal. Our only really hope was clubs desperate for a key forward and the Bulldogs went a different direction, and the Saints are basically guaranteed McCartin or Wright if they do the pick 1 for 4 & 6 trade.

So... we're up [censored] creek without a paddle. Someone said the club had big wraps on Lever, so I could've seen him slipping (ala Salem last year) and Roos still being able to get him with a pick downgrade like the Tyson deal last year. Unfortunately, the success of that trade means other clubs know our strategy and won't easily let us replicate it this year. It also serves other clubs well if we continue to take all the supposed high-end talent in the draft, only to keep losing senior players to free agency as we can't mature enough as a list to make it off the bottom of the ladder. Other clubs will make it nigh on impossible for us to poach any elite talent and inject instant experience into our list because they know that's exactly what we need to get off the bottom.

I know Garlett and Lamumba are starting 22 players for us, but let's keep some perspective: both players were pushed out by their previous club. Perhaps encouragingly, so were Cross, Vince and Riley last year.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/list-of-2015-free-agents.1043079/

The shopping list is being compiled. The cheque book is ready. Players wont sign early in the season for cheap deals if Melbourne had a million a season+ waiting. They will delay and consider their options. If their team struggles they will put contract talks on hold.

All it will take is maybe 7 or 8 wins (which will be a huge effort), some promising play from Hogan and Tyson and maybe one of our top draftees this year and we could garner a lot of interest from a free agent. Momentum is everything.

I doubt we will get Dangerfield. But it would be bloody stupid trading 2 and 3 for him this year before a change of fortunes next year puts him or a talent similar to him right in our ball park.

They paid ridiculous money and Griffen leaving provided the opportunity but all of a sudden the dogs became a destination.

surely we have a bucket load of cash to be used in Free Agency next year.

True, but you could double up on the celebration or the consolation by keeping one in reserve.

Thanks DD I have about 20 dozen in reserve so will celebrate or commiserate at will!

Lever was never rated as a pick1. Was considered a likely top selection but never a pick 1. That was reserved for McCartin and Wright before Petracca wove his magic this year.

Ian Kyte, Calder Cannons: "Jake had his knee reconstructed in December. He's back in training now and he'll be ready to go when he gets to a club. Had he played this year he would possibly have been the No. 1 selection, he's a tall, aggressive, competitive key defender who's a really good leader. He might have even spent some time in the midfield this year had he been able to play His leadership qualities have improved this year even though he hasn't been able to play and he hasn't missed a beat with his recovery, he does everything right, to the point we had to force him to take a break at times."

• Like 1

Seems to be widely speculated that we decided to go for the best of the best rather than settle for mere great midfielders, hence we haven't even bothered getting involved in deals for types like Greenwood/Hallahan and so forth. I'm assuming pick 3 + 12 + 23 was the currency we intended to work with, and when that fell to pieces the respective clubs probably demanded 2 & 3 or something equally insane. Roos is big on Brayshaw so he's probably canned the whole thing.

This frustrates the hell out of me because in a draft that supposedly goes deep for midfield talent, early picks hold much less currency. And for a club like ours, the difference between pick 3 and say ~10 is minor if we're trying to bring in a good young mid. Unfortunately all the other clubs would be acutely aware of that, and thus aren't entertaining our deal. Our only really hope was clubs desperate for a key forward and the Bulldogs went a different direction, and the Saints are basically guaranteed McCartin or Wright if they do the pick 1 for 4 & 6 trade.

So... we're up [censored] creek without a paddle. Someone said the club had big wraps on Lever, so I could've seen him slipping (ala Salem last year) and Roos still being able to get him with a pick downgrade like the Tyson deal last year. Unfortunately, the success of that trade means other clubs know our strategy and won't easily let us replicate it this year. It also serves other clubs well if we continue to take all the supposed high-end talent in the draft, only to keep losing senior players to free agency as we can't mature enough as a list to make it off the bottom of the ladder. Other clubs will make it nigh on impossible for us to poach any elite talent and inject instant experience into our list because they know that's exactly what we need to get off the bottom.

I know Garlett and Lamumba are starting 22 players for us, but let's keep some perspective: both players were pushed out by their previous club. Perhaps encouragingly, so were Cross, Vince and Riley last year.

I'm pretty surprised/disappointed we haven't been able to shake loose one of the Giants mids like Shiel, Coniglio, Smith even Greene. Sure the Giants wouldn't let them go without a fight nut throw a kid a tonne of cash and he's likely to move - ironically even more than someone 25-27 who may see the light at the end of the tunnel of their career coming and are more desperate to get to a club that can compete for a flag sooner. This is the greatest flaw in the FA system the AFL has implemented if you ask me.

• Like 4

Ian Kyte, Calder Cannons: "Jake had his knee reconstructed in December. He's back in training now and he'll be ready to go when he gets to a club. Had he played this year he would possibly have been the No. 1 selection, he's a tall, aggressive, competitive key defender who's a really good leader. He might have even spent some time in the midfield this year had he been able to play His leadership qualities have improved this year even though he hasn't been able to play and he hasn't missed a beat with his recovery, he does everything right, to the point we had to force him to take a break at times."

Do we really want to draft another kid with an injury cloud hanging over his head? I don't know maybe he'll be fine but it hasn't worked out well for us recently.

I'm pretty surprised/disappointed we haven't been able to shake loose one of the Giants mids like Shiel, Coniglio, Smith even Greene. Sure the Giants wouldn't let them go without a fight nut throw a kid a tonne of cash and he's likely to move - ironically even more than someone 25-27 who may see the light at the end of the tunnel of their career coming and are more desperate to get to a club that can compete for a flag sooner. This is the greatest flaw in the FA system the AFL has implemented if you ask me.

With Griffen and Petracca added, is it possible a $7m player might not make the side?

• Like 1

Ian Kyte of the Cannons rates him a potential #1. Sort of like Michael Turner - best player to ever come through the Falcons!

Take your point though DD, i wouldn't complain if we got Lever if he has fully recovered. Think he is now 194cm, according to a recent article.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-07/phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Do we really want to draft another kid with an injury cloud hanging over his head? I don't know maybe he'll be fine but it hasn't worked out well for us recently.

Worked out for Selwood, Judd and Stringer.

Lever will be the best to come out of this draft, mark my words. Quick, good overhead and loves a contest. Even had leadship qualities about him, meanwhile Petracca is just a see ball, grab ball, kick ball type of player.

Forget Petracca, he is gone.

I have a personal view that Petracca will not spend a lot of time at a lowly club. It's just a hunch.

I would not be upset if we missed out on him.

Just having Paul Roos at our club isn't good enough for a big star to come to our club we need to start winning games otherwise why would you want to come to a club when your own best player don't want to stay?

Let use this year to get some good young players in, win some games then throw a $1,000,000 offer at Dangerfield.

Just having Paul Roos at our club isn't good enough for a big star to come to our club we need to start winning games otherwise why would you want to come to a club when your own best player don't want to stay?

Let use this year to get some good young players in, win some games then throw a $1,000,000 offer at Dangerfield.

I agree and I dont..

the bit I dont is that , and I assume you refer to Frawley and Clark, they weren't our best. Not really, would have been...both, but werent , they are both flawed.

I dont rate their loss as monumental in tye least: but the first bit of your post referencing winning I do .

2015 is all about put up or shut up. Our club could be incredibly different in 16 if 15 produces some decent footy.

I agree and I dont..

the bit I dont is that , and I assume you refer to Frawley and Clark, they weren't our best. Not really, would have been...both, but werent , they are both flawed.

I dont rate their loss as monumental in tye least: but the first bit of your post referencing winning I do .

2015 is all about put up or shut up. Our club could be incredibly different in 16 if 15 produces some decent footy.

They both would be picked in our best 22 so yes they are our best.

They both would be picked in our best 22 so yes they are our best.

being in our 22 does NOT make them our BEST...just puts them in our 22....thats logic

edit...when was the last stepping on the park for Clark.. and Flawley is hardley a shadow of his supposed AA ability.

Personally I reckon the Hawks have been conned.. Yep I know,,the premiers. Just wait til Hogan tears him a new one !! and dances on it

Edited by beelzebub

When you think about it, it makes sense that Melbourne would not make a major play in 2014. This year should be about the national draft, an opportunity to draft some of the most exciting kids in the country. Granted our history however I still have faith in Roos and the Jackson admin. Imagine Brayshaw + Heeney + Goddard + Stretch this year. 2015 wont hold much in wins guys, were not climbing that quick. Not until this time next year. Then we land the big fish, Dangerfield, Shuey, Sloane....im salivating!

I don't begrudge Paul Roos having holidays but surely having them at this time of the year is not giving due diligence enough to the job. Mahoney would have him on speed dial but it's not the same. Picks 2 & 3 MAY become great players but we need big bodied mids NOW. This is what Roos has stated previously. And I can't wait for the puff piece on the website saying what a successful trade period it has been for us. Because it hasn't. Feeling deflated at the moment. This club is becoming irrelevant and it will affect our future.

• Like 3

I don't begrudge Paul Roos having holidays but surely having them at this time of the year is not giving due diligence enough to the job.

I agree actually. If we were a tier 1 club , then maybe...We arent. We need anything and everything we can conspire to aid us.

Quite frankly this is a fukk up Mr Roos

When you think about it, it makes sense that Melbourne would not make a major play in 2014. This year should be about the national draft, an opportunity to draft some of the most exciting kids in the country. Granted our history however I still have faith in Roos and the Jackson admin. Imagine Brayshaw + Heeney + Goddard + Stretch this year. 2015 wont hold much in wins guys, were not climbing that quick. Not until this time next year. Then we land the big fish, Dangerfield, Shuey, Sloane....im salivating!

Because those 3 will all be banging down on our door? For one year under Paul Roos and an unknown future with Goodwin?

This was the key trade period that we desperately needed to get in the personnel to get us the hell off the bottom, and give us some hope leading into Roos' final year. If we end up bottom 2 again, we will be the most unattractive team in the league.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 4

Worked out for Selwood, Judd and Stringer.

Lever will be the best to come out of this draft, mark my words. Quick, good overhead and loves a contest. Even had leadship qualities about him, meanwhile Petracca is just a see ball, grab ball, kick ball type of player.

Same can be said for Brayshaw.

I don't begrudge Paul Roos having holidays but surely having them at this time of the year is not giving due diligence enough to the job. Mahoney would have him on speed dial but it's not the same. Picks 2 & 3 MAY become great players but we need big bodied mids NOW. This is what Roos has stated previously. And I can't wait for the puff piece on the website saying what a successful trade period it has been for us. Because it hasn't. Feeling deflated at the moment. This club is becoming irrelevant and it will affect our future.

I agree it's not ideal, but i'd rather have him around the club come draft time and over the entire draft night - start of season, than if he were to stay during the entire trade period. He would have told all who needed to know at the club what he wanted to do, and as previously stated would be on speed dial if need be.

Plus, better to have a coach who is away than no coach at all like a GC or Bulldogs, even if they just traded in last year's #1 pick (and gave up the farm for both him and part of Griffen's salary.

I agree actually. If we were a tier 1 club , then maybe...We arent. We need anything and everything we can conspire to aid us.

Quite frankly this is a fukk up Mr Roos

Is it? Or is it just leaving Mahoney, Viney and Taylor to do their jobs? I doubt Roos would have pressed the 'reject' button when he saw his phone ring.

I'm not putting forth an opinion either way - just presenting the flipside to your argument.

• Like 6