Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL National Draft 2014 Picks 2 & 3

Sigil

FWIW Shaun Mckernan is been invited to train with St Kilda.

He is a key forward/ruckman. If they grab him they will use him as a full time forward and almost bet any dollar they will select Petracca at 1

He is a key forward/ruckman. If they grab him they will use him as a full time forward and almost bet any dollar they will select Petracca at 1

Hnmm interesting Dazzle man, tell me more about him!?

Edited by picket fence

Nup, assuming the aints take Petracca, its gotta be Brayshaw at 2 and Mc Cartin at 3

I am an universally regarded as an "Astute" judge am I not ?? After all I did pick Ollie Wines !!

I thought Rory Sloane was a no brainer in his draft and can't believe we missed him...

2 Mids please... Taylor Walker FA.

• Like 2

I'm no draft expert but one thing I have learned from my time in football is to always go for the bulls. Macartin and brayshaw tick that box.

No skinny frame kids please go for the big strong guys. Pick 2&3 are a must get right this draft

Yeah, no Sloane's or Fyffe's. Who would want that....

• Like 1

Yeah, no Sloane's or Fyffe's. Who would want that....

Way to contradict yourself...

In the other thread you've expressed your concern that we'd be drafting a 'smokey' in Laverde. (Who is hardly a smokey in this draft, he's going to be a top 10 pick).

Yet Sloane and Fyfe were both outside the top 20. One of them would be in the top 5 midfielders in the AFL, the other is still an A grade mid and you make a post like this?

Short-sighted is exactly the word I intended to use initially...

But maybe I should now use nonsensical.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I just think the engine is where we need talent and x factor. I dont rate lever as highly because i havent seen any highlights where he takes contested possessions.

Laverde over mcmartin for me i think. I sense x tactor.

petracca is a man using brute strength against boys for mine.

Let him train with them. They'll pick Membrey with their first pick of the pre-season draft.

We pick McKernan with our pick two as payback for not getting Frost for free.

Happy days.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Way to contradict yourself...

In the other thread you've expressed your concern that we'd be drafting a 'smokey' in Laverde. (Who is hardly a smokey in this draft, he's going to be a top 10 pick).

Yet Sloane and Fyfe were both outside the top 20. One of them would be in the top 5 midfielders in the AFL, the other is still an A grade mid and you make a post like this?

Short-sighted is exactly the word I intended to use initially...

But maybe I should now use nonsensical.

Wow. Are you really that illiterate? That comment was in relation to recruiting 'bulls'. Feel free to read it again.

As for smokey's you're right. Gysberts, Cook and Tapscott were inspired and far sighted., Bwah ha ha. (mr T accent) Are you really such a fool...

Having followed the draft closely...

Gysberts was commonly rated around 20-30, but there were rumours that Geelong & Sydney were keen at their picks of approx 15 & 16.

Apparently had the best handballing skills of any kid to go through the AIS/AFL academy system. Wowee.

He did well in his first game against the cats, but mainly because they showed him blatant disrespect by neglecting to bother manning up on him. He was good enough to get a lot of touches, but I'm not sure how effective any of them were, as we got belted.

Cook was rated anywhere from 15-ish to 30.

I went hard on saying we would not select him and that I didn't think he was much chop.

After selecting him, I convinced myself I must've been wrong, and that BP was able to pick up something I was missing.

Looked a passable overhead mark. Seemed to have nice kicking skills. Was named AA U/18 CHF, so how bad could be be?

Ahead of Jack Darling no less, who'd been expected to be named in that spot, but had a horrible season and a litany of off-field issues.

Yep, Cook was a safe bet as a future tall forward, after we'd desperately hoped that one of Tom Lynch, Prestia or Heppell would slip through, to no avail.

Tapscott was rated anywhere between 10 and 30 according to consensus.

He was a flanker who pushed high up the ground, hit the contest hard, and had a booming kick.

He needed to build up his fitness, but many dreamed that he could become the next chapman.

A brick outhouse, forward turned into a midfielder, with a cannon of a foot... Wishful thinking?

Desperately so for all dees supporters.

• Like 1

I'm no draft expert but one thing I have learned from my time in football is to always go for the bulls. Macartin and brayshaw tick that box.

No skinny frame kids please go for the big strong guys. Pick 2&3 are a must get right this draft

That's the wrong lesson to learn I reckon Jim. There is plenty of examples of clubs taking the skinny frame early and getting it right. Freo with Stephen Hill comes to mind straight away.

That's the wrong lesson to learn I reckon Jim. There is plenty of examples of clubs taking the skinny frame early and getting it right. Freo with Stephen Hill comes to mind straight away.

This is just my view on not taking a risk as the strong boys are 9 times out of 10 the safe bet with the likes of hodge,wines,Martin,cunnington and viney the safe way to go. The outside type is the cream you go for later in my view. I'm just thinking of playing safe with such high picks. Hogan was a great pick as he is a bull and I would take him over Martin in the mini draft as hogan is just a safe way to go.
  • Like 2

This is just my view on not taking a risk as the strong boys are 9 times out of 10 the safe bet with the likes of hodge,wines,Martin,cunnington and viney the safe way to go. The outside type is the cream you go for later in my view. I'm just thinking of playing safe with such high picks. Hogan was a great pick as he is a bull and I would take him over Martin in the mini draft as hogan is just a safe way to go.

I do agree with you to a point, but there are 18 year olds out there that haven't quite grown into their frame and that needs to be considered.

My non-negotiable would be firstly that they hit the ball hard and can win a contest.

Fyfe's name continually comes up as an example, he was a skinny kid, not particularly quick but had great hands and had a kamikaze attack on the pill. He is a beast of a midfielder now.

Big Jim Terry Wallace did a review of the top 10 draftees from 2000 to 2010 during the year and broke up the selections into inside mids, outsiders/Flankers and talls if I remember correctly. He found the success rate of the inside mids was around 75 to 80%, they went on to play 100 games plus. The outsiders and talls were around the 30 to 40% success rate. It makes some sense as highly rated inside mids are likely to be aggressive, physically ready and have probably captained their underage sides and developed leadership skills. There will always be X factor talent with the others, eg Rioli, but it is harder to get right.

• Like 4

If Mahoney says that Wright is "around the mark" and Roos has previously suggested that we won't take Wright then you could be forgiven for thinking that either Mahoney and Roos don't communicate, at at odds or something else is going on.

I can confirm that we are "into" other players with Roos himself having very recently conducted interviews with the players and families.

Clubs can not speak to any players from after the combine to until they have finished any exams.

Clubs can not speak to any players from after the combine to until they have finished any exams.

He can talk to the families !!

Stay at home FFs don't survive in the game today.

You need to have the agility and to cover ground to be a success.

He might be "meant to be" a lot of things, but I've not witnessed any of it.

He's aggressive and a good contested mark, but the rest needs too much work for me to justify taking him ahead of others.

And his kidding is bloody ordinary.

I'd want him to have a laser-like boot for the hype that is being bandied around.

That has nothing to do with my objectivity... but keep making those assertions.

Id say hawkins is a stay at home FF and he goes alright. Has played a little ruck over his time but not much recently.

Id say hawkins is a stay at home FF and he goes alright. Has played a little ruck over his time but not much recently.

I'd also add Tex Walker, Jay Schulz, Jack Riewoldt as stay at home FF's who aren't particularly agile/ don't cover heaps of ground.

• Like 1

I'd also add Tex Walker, Jay Schulz, Jack Riewoldt as stay at home FF's who aren't particularly agile/ don't cover heaps of ground.

That's 3 out of about 700 players.

It highlights that if that is the role that you are going to play, then you need to be exceptional at it. How exceptional is McCartin going to be?

• Like 1

That's 3 out of about 700 players.

It highlights that if that is the role that you are going to play, then you need to be exceptional at it. How exceptional is McCartin going to be?

Dunno, but he is probably more exceptional than Walker, Schultz and Riewoldt at the same age.

We need mids, mids and more mids. We need Key forwards but they need to be close to a sure thing and nothing fill me with that. Laverde's attributes excite me and Brayshaw is the closest to a sure thing 200 gamer you would see. Petracca would be great to get but my limited viewing makes me wonder whether he has the endurance to be an AFL mid and how much of his current dominance is brute strength against boys. Any of the three would make me happy.

• Like 1