Potential Trades [Warning: Reading this thread may self-destruct]

Dr evil

Not sure about the quality of O'Rourke? My mate describes him as a "Cale Morton" type! That sends shivers down my spine! My mate also said we are showing interest in Tomlinson.

I'd love Tomlinson, but I'd have thought if GWS let Jaksch go, which they will, they'll hold onto Tomlinson.

More about who he and others would like at the club rather than whispers. Although Tom Mitchell also being discussed at their get togethers.

I'd love Tomlinson, but I'd have thought if GWS let Jaksch go, which they will, they'll hold onto Tomlinson.

True. But they have a plethora of talent and can't keep them all.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of getting O'Rourke, ........

Based on what ? Serious question. A few on here are keen on him

I understand he spent pretty much all of 2013 injured but this year I've not seen anything in J O'R that suggests he's an unfulfilled talent that we could magically transform

Tyson by comparison had injury concerns but he also had a Rising Star nom along with a few other good games. His exposed form was pretty good. I just don't see that in J O'R. Help me out here.

• Like 1

I understand he spent pretty much all of 2013 injured but this year I've not seen anything in J O'R that suggests he's an unfulfilled talent that we could magically transform

Tyson by comparison had injury concerns but he also had a Rising Star nom along with a few other good games. His exposed form was pretty good. I just don't see that in J O'R. Help me out here.

I think it's based on Tyson, even though you are correct in saying O'Rourke hasn't had the exposed form like Tyson has. What many supporters see is another very high draft pick getting limited chances and interested in coming home - so they want to throw our first rounder out there for him (and someone like Frost...) like we did last year. It doesn't make much sense to me either as I think getting a Brayshaw would be better, or we could possibly find a far better deal out there.

Frawley will go, so we should get pick 3. I reckon this time we will keep 2 and trade 3. That way we can get our Petracca or Brayshaw (although I believe Saints will take the tall) and do a good deal on 3 to whoever. All positives in my book.

• Like 1

Frawley will go, so we should get pick 3. I reckon this time we will keep 2 and trade 3. That way we can get our Petracca or Brayshaw (although I believe Saints will take the tall) and do a good deal on 3 to whoever. All positives in my book.

I would rather keep both picks and get Petracca and Brayshaw if Saint Kilda go tall.

• Like 2

I liked him as a junior.

Undoubted ability, limited opportunity. Good character, competitor. Good physical attributes, decent skills.

I like the idea of bringing in, like Tyson, a kid who has had the requisite couple of years development, so he should be ready to contribute immediately, with decent guidance.

It's all dependent on cost, of course. Like anything.

I'd happily give pick 2 or 3 for Tomlinson & O'Rourke, if the club thinks that deal is good enough.

I obviously defer to their expertise and trust the people now in those positions.

So basically, if the club sees fit to do the deal, I'd be happy with it.

Trade pick 3 for pick 7 and 15 and brayshaw could well slip to 7 anyway and we get Liam Duggan as a freebie

Maybe. Big risk if you're very keen on him.

Also, often there's a handful of talls that are overrated by punters leading into the draft, and they slip through in favour of mids.

Wouldn't be on Weller, Duggan, Ahern or the like necessarily slipping through to 15.

Maybe. Big risk if you're very keen on him.

Also, often there's a handful of talls that are overrated by punters leading into the draft, and they slip through in favour of mids.

Wouldn't be on Weller, Duggan, Ahern or the like necessarily slipping through to 15.

I agree, it's a big risk, but I think

Saints take McCartin

mfc take Petracca

GCS take Lever/ Durdin

Lions take Wright

Dogs take Durdin

Blues take Marchbank

mfc take Brayshaw

there is a chance the teams above us will all feel the need for key position players is much higher than the need for Mids, and the 2015 by reports is chock full of quality mids which is a consideration

Seems more likely than not the Saints will be taking Petracca with 1. I'd fully expect us to part with pick 2 and 3 if that's the case.

Offer it up to any teams that need a KPF and see what we're offered in return. The two picks would effectively be Wright and McCartin, win win for anyone who wants a tall. I can see the Bulldogs getting on that deal in a heartbeat. Fremantle too?

• Like 2

Seems more likely than not the Saints will be taking Petracca with 1. I'd fully expect us to part with pick 2 and 3 if that's the case.

Offer it up to any teams that need a KPF and see what we're offered in return. The two picks would effectively be Wright and McCartin, win win for anyone who wants a tall. I can see the Bulldogs getting on that deal in a heartbeat. Fremantle too?

Great idea but who are they going to give up?

Will Freo give up Neale or the doggies Stringer. It would have to be someone like that to get the deal.

Disagree, I don't care what anyone says the Saints will not pass up a key forward prospect like Pat McCartin for a mid, there are good mids in the draft every year, key forwards are a lot harder to find, the only way Petracca goes pick 1 is if the Saints trade the pick.

i'd happily trade pick 2 and 3 though, if someone offers up something good, I wonder if Peter Wright would tempt the dockers enough to throw up Neale or a couple of good players,

Logically, I'd say the Saints would be bloody idiots to take Petracca with pick 1. They desperately need a replacement for Riewoldt, and they need to get him at least 2 years of experience alongside Nick before he retires. Otherwise they'll be up [censored] creek a lot longer than most people currently foresee.

Doesn't alter the fact that they might go after Petracca anyway. You'd have to assume the moment we get tipped off about their intentions, we'll trade out the picks for lower first rounders. Roos isn't drafting talls, and that's likely what 2 and 3 would be. We could still get a great midfielder around pick 6 or 7.

• Like 1

Logically, I'd say the Saints would be bloody idiots to take Petracca with pick 1. They desperately need a replacement for Riewoldt, and they need to get him at least 2 years of experience alongside Nick before he retires. Otherwise they'll be up [censored] creek a lot longer than most people currently foresee.

Doesn't alter the fact that they might go after Petracca anyway. You'd have to assume the moment we get tipped off about their intentions, we'll trade out the picks for lower first rounders. Roos isn't drafting talls, and that's likely what 2 and 3 would be. We could still get a great midfielder around pick 6 or 7.

You might be correct there, but the Saints also badly need high quality mids, and Petracca is that in spades. I believe they'd be crazy not to take him at 1.

• Like 1

You might be correct there, but the Saints also badly need high quality mids, and Petracca is that in spades. I believe they'd be crazy not to take him at 1.

every draft has high quality mids, not every draft has key talls like McCartin and I think that will be where their decision is made, the rebuild is going to take time, talls take time and quality mids are a lot easier to find, I think they would regret it if they passed McCartin up for a mid

every draft has high quality mids, not every draft has key talls like McCartin and I think that will be where their decision is made, the rebuild is going to take time, talls take time and quality mids are a lot easier to find, I think they would regret it if they passed McCartin up for a mid

I feel that the same point could be argued about us (with Clark going?). We have Dawes and Hogan. Fitz doesn't use his size and pace well, Gawn the same (both have upside, but so do StKilda's younger forwards coming through). So Riewalt(unbelievable still)+Stanley (a better fitzy) versus Hogan (untried-could be gun)/Dawes(cannot 1 grab a thing).

Sure nick is old, but he has 2 more years to go.

On top of this:

1) Last year Petracca did very well as a key forward behind Boyd and that other guy (was it Apness). So he would be a great third/4th sized tall.

2) Saints are keen on GWS Jaksch at 196cm.. if they get him without swapping pick 1 for another pick, then they may be more likely to take petracca.

I don't know what i want to be honest. I like Mitchell from the swans (pick 2 or 3), or take both Petracca and Brayshaw as options or McCartin/one of them as our key position stocks are low.

Bring on trade week :)

• Like 1

On the theory that sometimes what is needed is a fresh start., Toumpas for O'Rourke?

Plainly it is a fair swap, without any need to be playing abstractions about what they are worth.

Very simple exchange of similar players, both top 5 picks in the same draft, who both have been behind the 8-ball for the first couple of years of their career with injury and poor form.

That thought also put it in my mind that both Toumpas and O'Rourke are in very, very similar situations to where Dom Tyson was not so long ago...

I've said before and will keep saying; I believe in persisting with Toumpas and that he will be a quality player.

• Like 1