WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HERITIER LUMUMBA

Moonshadow

Well said mate.

Well said again. Anybody who dares to utter philosophies or beliefs outside the cookie cutter mould of twenty-something male sporting mantras is going to raise the ignorant criticisms of many. Pure tall poppy-ism. He's different, and if people can't cope, then that's about them, not HL.

I heard Luke Ball talking about him on the wireless a few weeks ago, and his praise for him as a footballer and person was both genuine and glowing. It spoke volumes.

• Like 5

Can't believe Roosy would allow this clown into the team. Not a team player and hopeless one on one.

Prince Hertier? I'm sure it's actually Princess Hertier.

Cut out the sexism and get some class.
  • Like 8

Sexism?

Are you incapable of discerning the metaphorical from the literal?

Yeah, totally. You implied there was something wrong with a Princess, which believe it or not, is the feminine. The more you know. Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

Yeah, totally. You implied there was something wrong with a Princess, which believe it or not, is the feminine. The more you know.

Again, the English language is not your strong point, is it?

A cursory glance in a dictionary would give you the metaphorical definition: self righteous, over sensitive, self absorbed etc. All adjectives which aptly describe Hertier Lumumba's behaviour on numerous occasions to date.

And he still can't win the one on ones.

• Like 2

Again, the English language is not your strong point, is it?

A cursory glance in a dictionary would give you the metaphorical definition: self righteous, over sensitive, self absorbed etc. All adjectives which aptly describe Hertier Lumumba's behaviour on numerous occasions to date.

And he still can't win the one on ones.

Yeah, I struggle with English. So where's Princess come into it? You seem to have glanced over that one again.

• Like 1

It is truly ironic that posters on Demonland who spit out damning opinions of Lumumba label him 'self righteous'.

Can the guy play footy? Will he improve our list? Does he fit Roosy's plan? Is the trade fair? The rest is bulls**t.

Roos wants him. That's good enough for me.

• Like 7

"Cursory" that's a nice one, I'll bet you didn't even have to look it up. But why so serious, Princess?

Watch these projective objections dissolve the first time H runs from HB to the wing and bombs it inside fifty.

I thought his speech was a thinly veiled FU to the CFC about values and them pushing him out when he is obviously talented (finishing 4th in their B&F).

I liked it, the Collingwood Football Club has gone from the club of the working people with community values, to a glorified corporate bogan devoid of values and ashamed of their roots.

Welcome Prince!

:)

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 8

It's not what HL says, it's how he says it. He seems a little bitter and twisted.

On the contrary, it's a great speech with a sharp subtext - very Roos in fact. As others have suggested, he paid tribute to what he's been through with them, and what the club has done for him on & off the field - but only up to 2011. Though he did not bag them, it was notable that in this tribute he left out the Buckley era entirely.

And everybody in that audience would have been acutely aware that despite being their 4th best, they're actually giving him the flick. Awkward!! The implication is that they could handle him as "Harry O'Brien" but not as Heretier Lumumba. And that's a serious cultural weakness in 2014, especially for a club that thinks it's just a bit better than everyone else. It brings up echoes of their Nicky-Winmar-Michael-Long days of 20 years ago. They still don't "get" diversity, in any of its forms.

And best of all, his message in the "Prince who is gifted and has the last laugh" line is that he goes with his head held high, and he expects that with us, he's going to have the last laugh on them! And he'll bust his guts to make it happen!

So ... "thanks for what we've been through together" (but only up to 2011) ... but "I'm leaving with my head held high" ... and "I'm going to have the last laugh."

What's not to like?

• Like 13

This sort of carry on can affect the locker room, and thats the last thing we need.

Given that the (senior) Collingwood players have plenty of praise for HL, and that along with doing very well in the Copeland year after year, Harry also managed to pick up a "Best Clubman" award, I'll just put your concerns in the "no basis in fact" basket.

• Like 2

Dee-L, love your posts son, but I can't decipher this one.....

they had seemingly a winning combination under M&M a few years back until E'd "who wants to B a zillionaire" gave birth to his own brainchild of an IDea; so he pensionerd off M&M & installed his other brainlove-child to create his Own bunch of team "who'sa zillionaire's"

he's cut, chopped & diced the original combo back to I don't know what.

has he tried to build "a superclub" & lost the plot of what is a footy club, himself ? ............. see the recent foibles of the Australian Cricket Test Team, Pre "BOOF"

Big Ideas can really come unstuck

• Like 1

It would appear the right-wing faction of Demonland is upset at recruiting someone with leftist attitudes.

It would appear the right-wing faction of Demonland is upset at recruiting someone with leftist attitude.

Pretty sure I remember a video of him visiting some less fortunate parts of the planet years ago and using his status and personality trying to help their inhabitants.

Can't say where but I was impressed (and surprised given where his abode was).

His drive to be somewhat different to your average yobbo is no new thing, I would observe.

Someone with some belief system?

It's not what HL says, it's how he says it. He seems a little bitter and twisted.

so was Martin Luther King, Jr. & most others who have passion & fire in the belly to get justice & change for the better for all.

you have to have some bitters & twisties to turn your gut enough to fight for change.

If your saying we don't want passion & fight & change at the Dees, than join the exodus of so many before you who want the Status Quo & just go along. like 50 yrs now & still counting.

we need passion in the grandstands, in the board meetings, & in the rooms at training days or nights, & in our non social club.

we'll fight them on the beaches, we'll fight them at the cliffs, out on water, or at the 'G'... but fight them we WYL. :wub:

• Like 1

Pretty sure I remember a video of him visiting some less fortunate parts of the planet years ago and using his status and personality trying to help their inhabitants.

Can't say where but I was impressed (and surprised given where his abode was).

It was the Congo, going in search of his roots. It had a big impact on him, hence taking his father's name.

• Like 1

We all have values and beliefs of varying persuasions. Its just that Heritier wears his heart on his sleeve.

He is using his public profile to further his cause, nothing wrong with that. He is just a different, slightly weird, cat. Rather him than some of our recent highly paid party-boys and downhill skiers!

• Like 3