How upset will you be if we finish bottom

Pates

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spot on dees 189227 - we should all be hoping for a win each week - even though we know that is unrealistic with the current list - acceptance of failure is pathetic.

(this is good - it is getting my posts up - at my age I don't want to remain a Rookie Demon)

You are selling Hughes and Smith way short beelzebub.

Anyway every rung up the ladder matters, every win matters - it is called progress, it provides HOPE, it sells memberships, it keeps young kids interested IT MATTERS!!

You are right that I am emotional about the Demons - I would call it passionate - it is a lifetime love affair.

Spot on dees 189227 - we should all be hoping for a win each week - even though we know that is unrealistic with the current list - acceptance of failure is pathetic.

(this is good - it is getting my posts up - at my age I don't want to remain a Rookie Demon)

I had some moments of optimism this year and they were the cause of joyous celebration. However, watching last night's game left me bitter and pessimistic. The universe that separates us from that level of footy seems unbridgeable.

PS. If you want to get your posts up ..foss, focus on smut and personal abuse.

Viney is our 5th highest, he would be around #150 - our average for our top 5 is #81

Sydney (AVE 32)

5 Kennedy

30 McGlynn

36 Parker

40 K.Jack

49 Hannebury

Hawthorn (AVE 50)

20 Lewis

44 Smith

47 Hodge

64 Shiels

74 Mitchell

Geelong (AVE 35)

3 Johnson

19 Selwood

33 Bartel

55 Stokes

65 Duncan

Freo (AVE 53)

8 Barlow

21 Fyfe

57 Mundy

77 Sandilands

100 Hill

cheers...for a change i'll say its an interesting stat :)

bit off the pace arent we !!

strangely Id think we're only 2-3 VERY GOOD players off changing our dynamics quite markedly. Shoud a 'star' pop his head up even better.

The original question was how annoyed will you feel. So I'd separate the personal feelings from the issues some have raised.

Sure being bottom may have an effect on next year's membership (though I doubt it would be significant). It may affect the player's morale (I have no way of knowing). On the other hand it may lead to better draft/trade options (heaven forbid tanking). etc. etc.

But in response to the original question, I personally don't care much. I have seen enough improvement and know we could have had a much better win/loss ratio with just a bit more improvement and luck. I don't care if others think we are a laughing stock as long as I feel confident in our future. I do.

• Like 3

Fossil...dont confuse acceptance of failure, mediocrity or otherwise with an acceptance of reality ..i.e..What is

Like an alcoholic the first step is to accept what you are and where you are and how you got there. Then you can change.

Im just not fussed that we might be last this year..as others suggest 16 17 18...its just a number

Fossil...dont confuse acceptance of failure, mediocrity or otherwise with an acceptance of reality ..i.e..What is

Like an alcoholic the first step is to accept what you are and where you are and how you got there. Then you can change.

Im just not fussed that we might be last this year..as others suggest 16 17 18...its just a number

I think the club has known it sucks for a while now

beelzebub and stuie - as I have posted before - my grandson is on the brink of abandoning the Dees "because we never win" - how many very young future life time supporters/members has the Club lost already - how many more are gone with each loss - it is not as though MFC is flush with young supporters - kids like winners. Young kids are the future supporter base/members of the club.

Simple.

And please tell me what Checker Hughes and Norm Smith (responsible for 10 of the 12 flags) would think.

No-one knows for sure if the future will be any better - we looked forward to what Jurrah would achieve - GONE - we looked forward to having the passionate Mitch Clark starring - sadly finished by injury etc.etc. (Templeton had a bung knee, good as he was, Schwarz would have been an absolute superstar but he did his knees etc. etc.). Trengove this year with his foot - don't take anything for granted in the future - So worry about the NOW.

Yeah cos we'll win sooooo many more supporters finishing second last...

• Like 1

thats the bit I dont quite get....its all relative semantics as to finish.

There will no doubt be some 'management' of the team in the final hurrah(s) of the season . Some players ( with any sense ) will put in their best efforts, some who plainly dont get it ...will ( i,e...a DCM) And the games will be played to win as best as possible...and we'll probably still end up 17th or 18th. The difference ? :unsure:

I have a theory that because we follow our own club so closely we are so familiar with names like Grimes, Garland, Howe, McKenzie etc etc that our perception is that they are much better than what they truly are in the pool of AFL talent. We're so shocked when our best player is so low in the AFL player rankings because we think he's amazing, when maybe he's good but not as good as what we convince ourselves out of familiarity.

Roos has done what he can with the list he has. I'm not advocating tanking, we've seen the damage that did, but I'm not going to celebrate finishing second or third last and not having as much bargaining power come trade time.

That covers it stuie

Demon supporters constantly over rate their players.

The results show how good our list is at present.

Someone said earlier we have been very unlucky this year.

That fits in the same area, luck has little to do with the fact we will finish in the bottom three or four.

Lack of ability is 95% of the reason.

• Like 2

anybody who wouldn't hate getting the wooden spoon is totally lacking in ambition or desire, is mentally disabled or has a hide thicker than a rhinoceros

come to think of it that probably covers a fair few supporters :lol:

Don't agree dc

The majority of our supporters are so beaten down by eight years of uncompetitive crap and have languished at the bottom so long that we accept our lot.

Do we have a hide as thick as a Rhino? NO

Just a beaten mental attitude, it is now water off a duck's back.

Edited by old dee

beelzebub and stuie - as I have posted before - my grandson is on the brink of abandoning the Dees "because we never win" - how many very young future life time supporters/members has the Club lost already - how many more are gone with each loss - it is not as though MFC is flush with young supporters - kids like winners. Young kids are the future supporter base/members of the club.

Simple.

And please tell me what Checker Hughes and Norm Smith (responsible for 10 of the 12 flags) would think.

No-one knows for sure if the future will be any better - we looked forward to what Jurrah would achieve - GONE - we looked forward to having the passionate Mitch Clark starring - sadly finished by injury etc.etc. (Templeton had a bung knee, good as he was, Schwarz would have been an absolute superstar but he did his knees etc. etc.). Trengove this year with his foot - don't take anything for granted in the future - So worry about the NOW.

Mate I lost my daughter to the Bombers 20 years ago for the very reasons you are listing.

However IMO It will make little difference if we win one, two or no more games in the final analysis for 2014.

The only thing that will get children to the MFC is winning more than we lose and playing finals the rest makes no difference

• Like 1

Looking at the existing Ladder it is quite possible Melbourne could win the wooden spoon even though we have doubled the amount of games won already compared to that won by the end of last years season .

Even though we have had a better season on field with no thumping's compared to those received last year.

Even though we have had a number of games we have lost by under 20 points,

We are still at risk, and last season we didn't get the wooden spoon.

However at the moment it is a real possibility.

My question is what affect if any do you think this would have on the Melbourne Football Club & players as well as supporters??

How would this impinge on the thought process of both the players and the club should this eventuate ???

I want the MFC to stay away from the wooden spoon it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth .

We have seen the past and what has occured .

But to me the wooden spoon is still the greatest insult a club can receive .

Call me old fashion call me diehard but if we did get the spoon I would see it as a poor reward for where I feel Melbourne our football club, is at in real terms

There is no doubt we have improved but ?

For me as a Loyal Melbourne FC supporter over many many years the wooden spoon is a stigma I dont want our club to have to bear again.

I will be absolutely devastated. Finishing last and below GWS and GC at the same time and after so many high draft picks would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to the club at this time.

The likes of Jones, Watts, Frawley, Dunn, Jetta, Grimes must be absolutely sick of it and they can't let it happen.

The club has to stand up and not let it happen. If it does, it may be very hard for me to get up for next season.

GWS and Brisbane are absolute must-wins. IMO, for the sake of the club moving forward and gaining respect, not finishing last, and holding their own against the Hawks and North are integral in the closing weeks.

Finishing last would be a true indictment on the improvement the team has made, and it would demonstrate just how hard it is going to be for the club to move forward. This is the chance to move forward and that means getting off the damn bottom of the ladder!

The Saints are a legitimate chance against GC. I am not confident anymore going into the Brisbane game. If we are last after the next round, I fear the team will never get off it.

Watts, Grimes and Frawley have done stuff all to prevent it

getting picks 1 and 2 now will certainly be a lot better than when we got them in 2009. This time wed have genuine reason to believe we will get 2 young superstars as we have guys like Roos and Stone etc who actually know about player development

Still praying we avoid the spoon though

AHHHHHHH picks 1 and 2 Brilliant just what we need What a waste it was

That covers it stuie

Demon supporters constantly over rate their players.

The results show how good our list is at present.

Someone said earlier we have been very unlucky this year.

That fits in the same area, luck has little to do with the fact we will finish in the bottom three or four.

Lack of ability is 95% of the reason.

Stuie most are under no allusion as to the quality of the list get over it please.

Roos said earlier in the season its not about winning and loosing at our stage of development, but about getting our structures and team plan together. This he has started to do, but there is only so much he can do with the group he has. The wooden spoon should just be another thing to spur the team on to better things next year. Yes we will loose some supporters but they are probably supporters we would loose anyway, being equal last on points but with a higher or lower percentage will not keep someone supporting the club if they are not happy with the lack of wins. Though I still think that most supporters see improvement and recognise that this year Roos has turned things around and that next year with some more good trading, drafting and improved pre-season training we will be putting a much better side on the ground. No one wants to see us get the wooden spoon, but at the same time we need to recognise the benefits what little there are in finishing near or at the bottom of the ladder.

• Like 1

FFS read all his posts on this subject he isn't planning on finishing second last. We are being asked about how it will make us feel if we win the spoon. If you don't care and think it doesn't make a difference then IMO the last 7 years have just mentally screwed you. We are currently sitting 17th and were sitting 16th when this question was asked.

We have 5 games left this season and if we play to our potential there are 4 games we can win.

Lions - Yes Etihad and they are playing well but right attitude and effort we can win

Hawks - even the most optimistic supporter wouldn't back us in this game, they are gearing up for the finals and getting back to their best, effort over 4 quarters is the most important thing in this game

GWS - back at our home ground and if we bring the right attitude and effort and game again we should win

Meth Coast - at Patersons and danger game Coxy's home farewell, but so was Hafey's and Cassisi's. They are ripe for the picking and front running flat track bullies of the highest order, don't allow them a start and turn it into a fight and it is very much a winnable game

North - again it is Etihad but last game of the season and we all know there are always shock results in the final round and which North turns up. By god do we owe North for the last 7 years and despite our improvement it was one of our worst performances of the season. They will have their eyes on the final the following weak and I hope our boys are keen to atone from our loss to them earlier in the year

So I am clarifying why I will be pi55ed if we win the spoon, I see 4 winnable games which if results go our way will see us finishing as high as 12th, I don't care that it rules out us getting Petracca. The last 10 years has seen enough Selwood, Dangerfield, Wines, Heppells, Salems etc coming at around that mark. We are instilling a new culture and we have an opportunity to finish the season on a high like the Doggies did last season and enter the trade period and off season with optimism and positive media, which will assist us greatly both on and off the field.

So again I will be absolutely livid if we win the spoon from here, I want to finish with as many wins and high as we possibly can

Go Dees

• Like 7

it has become obvious to me watching some of the games over the bye that our list is a long way off the mark. We have some good players but realistically only 1or 2would make it into the top 10 of any other side. Our good honest triers like McKenzie, Terlich, Matt Jones, Bail and may I suggest Grimes would not get a game anywhere else. It's 2 - 3 drafts away and we can't afford any misses.

• Like 2