Post Match Discussion - Round 18

Demonland

After reviewing the game for the second time i cannot believe how good Nev Jetta is... His work in traffic is amazing and his ability to slip tackles is really good, he is composed by hand and foot. Actually i want to see him given some time in the midfield next year, think he would certainly mix it with the best in there, as long as his tank is improved!

• Like 1

All those players may make mistakes Bob, but they are fast getting rid of it.

I would like Jack Grimes to succeed and if he just played on quickly rather than overthink each disposal his mistakes wouldn't be so blaring. This deliberating exacerbates his errors.

He made some fantastic spoils.

I was at the game and I've only read the first 4 or 5 pages of this thread.

My first observation is that we have progressed from a team that was regularly beaten by 100 points to a team that is now fairly competitive most of the time. We still get bashed up by the really good big bodied teams (Freo, Geel) but rarely at other times. We have learned to get ourselves to a position where we can win but not surprisingly for a team that won so few games in the last few years we don't yet know how to win. We are getting some real time training in that this year and will get better at winning games when the opportunity arises.

Secondly I just can't stand the Grimes bashing. For those that weren't at the ground you may have missed the number of times he ran and supported team mates, spoilt and literally put his body on the line countless times. He is a player that will make skill errors but to want to blame him or even single him out for our failure is just silly. How about you look at Howe's kick out to a two on one contest when the majority of our players were on the other flank and the complete inability of Tapscott and Blease to show anything other than one or two cameo's for the day. We had some shocking non contributors but I've not read much about them, probably because they didn't get the ball often enough to make a mistake.

A word of praise for Ro Bail. Unless you watch him you just can't believe how much running he does. The goal he kicked in the last when he started the forward thrust on the defensive side of the wing and ended up kicking the goal was an example of how he is able to bring numbers around the ball. He's limited as a player but his application and gut running courage is something to be admired.

Jack Watts was sensational in the third and Hinkley may well have won the game when he took Kane Cornes from Jones and put him on Watts in the last. You'd have to think Watts should play that third quarter role for the rest of the season.

No love for Jordie? Kept Boak to a mediocre contribution and the only goal Boak got was when Jordie wasn't on him. There is undoubtedly a place in the team for a good tagger.

Lastly we looked spent in the last. When we had the ball from a mark there was often no movement. None, and so often we just kicked it to a stagnant situation. Roos game plan is very physically intensive and our young bodies are tiring.

Very disappointing to lose, very encouraging for the future.

Grimes bashing ? There are the usual suspects that constantly get bashed no matter what they do. McKenzie, Bail ( who you pointed out played well) and Frawley being three others that constantly get a whipping on here.

• Like 1

Couldn't see it mentioned but did anyone else see Jones hit a Port player (not sure who it was) in the upper body when they were both on the ground?

Would have been about 3 minutes left and it was 20 metres out from our goals. Haven't seen anything about it but we'd be in big trouble if he and Vince both were to get weeks.

• Like 1

Couldn't see it mentioned but did anyone else see Jones hit a Port player (not sure who it was) in the upper body when they were both on the ground?

Would have been about 3 minutes left and it was 20 metres out from our goals. Haven't seen anything about it but we'd be in big trouble if he and Vince both were to get weeks.

Big trouble?

And what could we possibly be risking this season if either or both players missed a few weeks?

Half the side could start wacking their opponents every week in the next few rounds and it would have little if any impact on 2014. Might make a few feel better though ^_^

After reviewing the game for the second time i cannot believe how good Nev Jetta is... His work in traffic is amazing and his ability to slip tackles is really good, he is composed by hand and foot. Actually i want to see him given some time in the midfield next year, think he would certainly mix it with the best in there, as long as his tank is improved!

Jetta is as slippery as anyone in the AFL. He has gone past Pedersen for most improved, not because he was starting off such a low base but because he is just so good now.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 2

Please tell me this is a rhetorical question.

No Nutbean its not.The question is; they are young we are young and they run out games better than most. So why cant our team?

Saw and if it made contact he will get 2 weeks for it...

Big trouble?

And what could we possibly be risking this season if either or both players missed a few weeks?

Half the side could start wacking their opponents every week in the next few rounds and it would have little if any impact on 2014. Might make a few feel better though ^_^

Not sure about you, but personally I'd like a couple more wins on the board for this season.

No Nutbean its not.The question is; they are young we are young and they run out games better than most. So why cant our team?

We can run out games. We did. Against them, less than 24 hours ago. We also did against Essendon, the dogs etc.

Not sure about you, but personally I'd like a couple more wins on the board for this season.

Exactly

Blows my mind that some supporters dont care if we win any more games after they [censored] we've been through the last 7 years

They probably still think high draft picks will save us

Careful Django don't get too excited.

Wins are not something we do all that well.

Seriously me too but it is hard to see it from my seat.

Exactly

Blows my mind that some supporters dont care if we win any more games after they [censored] we've been through the last 7 years

They probably still think high draft picks will save us

Aaaawwwww!!!!! poor you, been through the last 7 years, of course every supporter wants to see wins, tempered by where we are at, at the moment, yesterday was a sign that after a poor couple of weeks, we may have righted the ship again and a win or two becomes slightly more possible

• Like 1

Yep I saw it but only the once.. A lot will depend where he got him wether it be chest or face, but if it's the latter I think he'll miss the Brisbane game unfortunately

Average skill level.

and...

Average fitness base

Our top end /older footballers are nowhere near the ability of Ports. ( hence bringing in the likes of Vince and Cross)

And I think it is as simple as looking where we have come from last season as opposed to Port.

Aaaawwwww!!!!! poor you, been through the last 7 years, of course every supporter wants to see wins, tempered by where we are at, at the moment, yesterday was a sign that after a poor couple of weeks, we may have righted the ship again and a win or two becomes slightly more possible

Yes that one word says it all

Aaaawwwww!!!!! poor you, been through the last 7 years, of course every supporter wants to see wins,

No idea why you're being a smartass

I said 'we've'

As in all MFC supporters. If you can show me where I said only me or a few supporters please point it out

I was at the game.

A word of praise for Ro Bail. Unless you watch him you just can't believe how much running he does. The goal he kicked in the last when he started the forward thrust on the defensive side of the wing and ended up kicking the goal was an example of how he is able to bring numbers around the ball. He's limited as a player but his application and gut running courage is something to be admired.

Very disappointing to lose, very encouraging for the future.

The Bail running was evident even from the TV, and was a strong part of our ability to get up off the canvas at 30 points down. He kept popping up around the ground - late in the third quarter he was even down deep in Port's forward line, isolated one out with Westhoff in a marking contest, and brought the ball to ground against the odds. I'm sure that wasn't the desired match up, but just as well Ro was at the contest.

It's no wonder Ro is in the small group who have played every game this year - work ethic and effort would be highly prized by Roosy and the other coaches.

• Like 1

Melbourne may have lost yesterday, but we got ALL the votes in The Age:

PORT ADELAIDE v MELBOURNE
(Ashley Porter)
Dom Tyson (Melbourne) 8
Ollie Wines (Port Adelaide) 7
Colin Garland (Melbourne) 7
Neville Jetta (Melbourne) 7
Nathan Jones (Melbourne) 7

• Like 1

Melbourne may have lost yesterday, but we got ALL the votes in The Age:

PORT ADELAIDE v MELBOURNE

(Ashley Porter)

Dom Tyson (Melbourne) 8

Ollie Wines (Port Adelaide) 7

Colin Garland (Melbourne) 7

Neville Jetta (Melbourne) 7

Nathan Jones (Melbourne) 7

I don't agree at all, clearly the best 3 players on the ground were the umpires.