Jeff 'Wiz' Farmer

dazzledavey36

What a player! Everyone talks about Eddie Betts and Steven Milne as the best modern day small forwards. The Wiz was their equal and x3 for excitement. Thise 3 years 1998-2000 were incredible football and he was a big part of it. And he played well in finals, a rare gift.

He is up there with Jakovich, Schwartz and Jurrah as players who made you go to games. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

What a player! Everyone talks about Eddie Betts and Steven Milne as the best modern day small forwards. The Wiz was their equal and x3 for excitement.

Late last year Eddie slipped past Wiz on games / goals but their records are remarkably similar. Farmer played 249 games for 483 goals; Eddie has 14 more games and 27 more goals, with both averaging 1.94 goals a game. Milne's record surpasses both - 275 games for 574 goals at 2.09 goals a game.

Interestingly, Jeffy (277 goals from 156 games) has more goals in fewer games than Cyril (273 goals from 185 games).

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

Late last year Eddie slipped past Wiz on games / goals but their records are remarkably similar. Farmer played 249 games for 483 goals; Eddie has 14 more games and 27 more goals, with both averaging 1.94 goals a game. Milne's record surpasses both - 275 games for 574 goals at 2.09 goals a game.

Interestingly, Jeffy (277 goals from 156 games) has more goals in fewer games than Cyril (273 goals from 185 games).

Love that stat GV. Wish you could get it to Bruce and the other commentators who wax and ooze and dribble on every time Cyril gets near the ball. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pates said:

Why'd they have to choose the goal against us after the siren first up?! I was shattered when he left, him winning the game against us with a kick after the siren was just the dagger in the heart! :(

But they definitely got the rest right. He was the wizard at Melbourne but Jeffery Farmer at Freo. His 9 goals in one half springs to mind first for me, but 8 goals in a prelim is phenomenal. There are very few who could say they have done that. 

I was at the game but still in the corridors when he took that amazing mark, he was totally robbed of MOTY but he got GOTY for that run against the Hawks. I think back then you got a car for both so they couldn't give him both!

IMO it wasn't even that good a moment, hardly representative of what made the wiz the wiz. It was a free kick in front of goal...hardly "Wiz" material. I get that it was against his former side which gave it preference, but still. He had a number of really great games at Freo, pity that was the one they those to use.

15 hours ago, Pates said:

Why'd they have to choose the goal against us after the siren first up?! I was shattered when he left, him winning the game against us with a kick after the siren was just the dagger in the heart! :(

The worst part was Neitz jumping into Farmer's back.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2017 at 9:21 AM, Petraccattack said:

Glad they got #1 right.  Eight goals in a prelim final is amazing...  doubt it has been done since.

Reckon Byron Picket had the wood on him until that final as well. Good time for the Wizard to even the ledger.

2 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

good stuff gv. i'll bet the wiz's stats were better for his mfc time

2 hours ago, Tony Tea said:

The worst part was Neitz jumping into Farmer's back.

I was working that night, taped the game without knowing the score. Thought it was wrapped up, 2 seconds left then that free kick, in our backline, against Neitz of all people, to the Wiz of all people. Could not believe it, sat there stunned for about 15 minutes

4 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

Yeah but only Cyril has 'special' goals

A particular part of his work that I liked was that in clutch games (esp finals) he was often up and about early when the game was there to be won, hitting the scoreboard in his exciting way. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. From memory one of his sons is about 14 and is a prospect (Kobe?), certainly helps father son nominations if he is down here with dad.

Loved the Wiz, wish he had never left. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

Paul Wheatley plays in that comp to, he dominated last year, Matty Whelan has also played in the same vets comp, rumour is A Yze will line up along side Wheatley this yr....

Article says Wiz will be playing alongside Brad Flower, son of Robbie.

I think the Wiz did an interview with Robbo (as in Russell, not Slobbo) and admitted he regretted leaving. He also said that while he played marginally more games with the Shockers, he considers himself a Demon.

10 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Article says Wiz will be playing alongside Brad Flower, son of Robbie.

Yes correct, Brad Flower a great local level player. I was just highlighting the fact that there are a few ex demons also running around in that veterans league. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Adzman said:

Interesting. From memory one of his sons is about 14 and is a prospect (Kobe?), certainly helps father son nominations if he is down here with dad.

Loved the Wiz, wish he had never left. 

Has his family moved with him? He wants Kobe to play for the Dee's, so as Dazzle says... the timing is interesting.

He is a great dad and would do anything for his boys.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I think the Wiz did an interview with Robbo (as in Russell, not Slobbo) and admitted he regretted leaving. He also said that while he played marginally more games with the Shockers, he considers himself a Demon.

I never would have thought that he'd played more games for Freo than us.

I would think that in the eyes of most people, he's a Dee.

17 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I never would have thought that he'd played more games for Freo than us.

I would think that in the eyes of most people, he's a Dee.

Marginally more for Freo but his best footy was clearly at Melbourne. That's what makes him a Demon.

That Collingwood game couldn't have been scripted better. Was sitting with a Collingwood mate of mine and he was giving it to me until half time. I think Jeff even got dragged from the field which was rare for him in those days. His goals after half time and the Melbourne win gave me plenty of ammunition.

Like the stories I read about the past players reuniting at local levels to play with each other. Shows the bond and respect that happens when players work hard and make sacrifice for each other to achieve a level of success. In those days we played finals regularly. Happens at AFL and local levels

• 2 weeks later...