Changes vs Western Bulldogs

What

Absolutely no way Garland will be dropped & Gawn will never be played along with Jamar, Pederson & Dawes in the same side.

Riley & McKenzie out

Blease & Mitchie in

Why not? You're not the only one who considers Garland untouchable, but on current form he's pretty much 22 out of 22 right now, and he's adding very, very little to the side. His best is obviously very good but this year he's not there and he's currently, IMO, a liability more than an asset out there. No idea what's wrong, but he's not finding it in the seniors right now.

Garlo has too many runs on the board to be dropped, but he'd want things to turn soon. He will be his toughest critic right now I suspect.

I agree, but jeez he has been average since coming back. Particularly in terms of turnovers.
  • Like 1

Well Garland didn't have a pre-season, is coming off surgery and he's missed a lot of the game time where the other defenders were gelling with the game plan.

Don't have a problem if he's not contributing as much as the others, but he's not going to find form and build his knowledge of Roosy's defensive gameplan at the Casey wasteland.

Edited by Lamashtu

Salem hasn't had a lot of game time and shouldn't need a rest - I think he just struggled with North's hard-running, pressure and physicality which is part of the learning process. He'll feel under less pressure against the dogs. Could be the emergency again and ususlly does well in that role.

So we write off a spot in the starting 22 of an AFL team because a bloke misses out on 8 weeks running? Give it a rest !!!

A lack of conditioning has bugger all to do with poor decision making and turn overs. The truth is Garland is horribly out of form and for our side that mean he is a major liability as we need 22 solid contributors to be competitive week in week out.

So we write off a spot in the starting 22 of an AFL team because a bloke misses out on 8 weeks running? Give it a rest !!!

A lack of conditioning has bugger all to do with poor decision making and turn overs. The truth is Garland is horribly out of form and for our side that mean he is a major liability as we need 22 solid contributors to be competitive week in week out.

Hahaha this is the funniest thing i have read in ages!

fatigue absolutely effects decision making and turn overs, it only takes your mind being 2% off it to cause constant turn overs at AFL level and the game is taxing enough without having no pre season, garlo will be fine we know he's a quality player.

Not in the first 10-15 minutes of a quarter Mike Nolan maybe the last 5 minutes of a quarter. He is averaging 14 disposals a game - Horribly out of form.

perhaps we can put it down to an honest mistake in the instance you are referring too, i'd back Garlo in though, was our second best player last year and i have no doubt he can get back to that form again

• Like 1

Dropping Garland would be stupid. He is underdone and has shown before that he needs time to regain touch. McKenzie for Blease. Maybe time for Salem to have a full game at Casey...not sure who for.

Garland's ability to play on a tall or a small makes him more valuable than others plus he's in the Leadership group and nothing to be served by sending him back with the absolute spuds at Casey

I also think Salem might have rest for Terlich.

Does that make you feel good behind your keyboard does it, have bookmarked ready for the next 'spud' who comes in from Casey

As a defender of players normally it may surprise some for me to say that Garland is in very poor form at the moment, but agree he is probably his own harshest critic, although I don't think Roos counts if you are in the leadership group or not if he thinks you need 'a rest'

Dropping Garland would be stupid. He is underdone and has shown before that he needs time to regain touch. McKenzie for Blease. Maybe time for Salem to have a full game at Casey...not sure who for.

I would have thought is Salem is rested, JKH may come back in as the sub?

perhaps we can put it down to an honest mistake in the instance you are referring too, i'd back Garlo in though, was our second best player last year and i have no doubt he can get back to that form again

Nor do i, but there is no doubt he is out of form and if his form does not improve at some point i think he will be dropped. Of course he had an interrupted pre season but its not as if he was rushed back in. He played 3 games at Casey didn't he? And he's played, what 4 games in the seniors. Fitness isn't the issue - or at least not the main issue.

Perhaps as someone suggested, having missed the early games he has struggled to adapt to the Roos plan or to gel with the back half players. Perhaps also Dunn is playing the role he was playing last year (intercept marks, run it out etc). Maybe he is down on confidence - it looks that way.

Whatever the case he is a long way off his best form and of most concern he is turning the ball over and making bad decisions. It's a concern because good foot skills and decision making are two of his strengths and our current back line already has T Mac, Terlich and to a lesser extent Grimes who can sometimes butcher the ball so we need him to display those strengths.

I'm not suggesting dropping him and i'm sure he'll come good but if he does not it will be interesting to see how many games he gets before going back, particularly given we have Terlich and Gergiou who could come in for him (and perhaps even the Toump or Blease, both of whom have played off the half back flank at Casey)

Edited by binman

Nor do i, but there is no doubt he is out of form and if his form does not improve at some point i think he will be dropped. Of course he had an interrupted pre season but its not as if he was rushed back in. He played 3 games at Casey didn't he? And he's played, what 4 games in the seniors. Fitness isn't the issue - or at least not the main issue.

Perhaps as someone suggested, having missed the early games he has struggled to adapt to the Roos plan or to gel with the back half players. Perhaps also Dunn is playing the role he was playing last year (intercept marks, run it out etc). Maybe he is down on confidence - it looks that way.

Whatever the case he is a long way off his best form and of most concern he is turning the ball over and making bad decisions. It's a concern because good foot skills and decision making are two of his strengths and our current back line already has T Mac, Terlich and to a lesser extent Grimes who can sometimes butcher the ball so we need him to display those strengths.

I'm not suggesting dropping him and i'm sure he'll come good but if he does not it will be interesting to see how many games he gets before going back, particularly given we have Terlich and Gergiou who could come in for him (and perhaps even the Toump or Blease, both of whom have played off the half back flank at Casey)

we could consider moving him forward for a week and putting chip back, i'd say as long as he is negating a forward Roosy will see him as playing his role, is Georgiou able to return? i thought he was only able to play while Riley was on the long term injury list

we could consider moving him forward for a week and putting chip back, i'd say as long as he is negating a forward Roosy will see him as playing his role, is Georgiou able to return? i thought he was only able to play while Riley was on the long term injury list

He could work up forward, for sure - though that won't help him gel down back i guess. He is agile enough to play on one of those play making half backs (eg Harry O) so perhaps as defensive forward?

Perhaps they could have tried that last week rather than swapping Dunn and Frawley (ie swap Garland and Frawley instead).

Roos likes big mids - he could try him in the centre.

Garland's ability to play on a tall or a small makes him more valuable than others plus he's in the Leadership group and nothing to be served by sending him back with the absolute spuds at Casey

I also think Salem might have rest for Terlich.

Maybe if he plays with the "absolute spuds" at Casey he may regain confidence and touch ? That is usually the idea of sending players out of form back to the secondary competition which is full of "absolute spuds".

Not in the first 10-15 minutes of a quarter Mike Nolan maybe the last 5 minutes of a quarter. He is averaging 14 disposals a game - Horribly out of form.

As a defender, I'm not concerned about him getting 14 disposals. I'm much more interested in him stopping his man kicking goals.

I don't think he is playing the best footy of his career, but he took some good marks last wekk (and dropped a howler) but he wasn't on his own in having a poor game.

And regardles of being out of form, he wasn't in our bottom 5. Salem and Riley had 6 disposals between them. Frawley only had 8 touches. Kent and Bail eacdh had 9 touches and didn't do anywhere near enough.

And if we are picking on defenders, Howe only had 10 touches, dropped a "speccy" which cost a goal, and punched a ball over the top into space where north ran onto it and kicked another goal. 2 brain fades.

Given McKenzie is out, I'd suggest there are at least 3 changes before Garland gets considered, and even then I doubt he would be next cab of the rank.

As a defender, I'm not concerned about him getting 14 disposals. I'm much more interested in him stopping his man kicking goals.

I don't think he is playing the best footy of his career, but he took some good marks last wekk (and dropped a howler) but he wasn't on his own in having a poor game.

And regardles of being out of form, he wasn't in our bottom 5. Salem and Riley had 6 disposals between them. Frawley only had 8 touches. Kent and Bail eacdh had 9 touches and didn't do anywhere near enough.

And if we are picking on defenders, Howe only had 10 touches, dropped a "speccy" which cost a goal, and punched a ball over the top into space where north ran onto it and kicked another goal. 2 brain fades.

Given McKenzie is out, I'd suggest there are at least 3 changes before Garland gets considered, and even then I doubt he would be next cab of the rank.

Good points. Howe did make a couple of big errors and the one where he was one of 3 dees players flying for the ball leaving their opponents free (and goal side) was terrible and came at a bad time as the resulting goal helped the roos steal the momentum