The Frawley Domino

TGR

Frawley I've been confident on all year until a good chat I had with a knowledgeable footy mate of mine last night.

I said I was confident he was Staying, direction etc etc, and he told me to produce a statement where Frawley said I want to stay.

He said footballers will use their buzzwords but until you hear that, they're as good as gone.

Gibbs said it in a statement, Fyfe has said he wants to stay at Freo, the best we've got out of James is his blood bleeds Red and Blue.

I Think he's made up his mind long ago...

I think you're paying too much heed to your mate's half-baked theory.

• Like 1

1. No player in the history of AFL has told his club he will go to another before his last game.

2. Frawley is worth $850k to the Dockers who are entering a premiership window. We aint and hence he is worth less. I recall Lloyd putting an appropriate price on his head earlier in the year in FC.

3. This is his last contract and he would be a fool to turn his back on a few hundred grand a year for what? A good culture? Come on. Money plus late-September action = no-brainer. We will be well-compensated so what is the problem...let him decide....whatever will be will be.

4. This thread was not really about staying or going, but what can happen when you have the guts and brains to shuffle your side a little; and how one event can cascade into something.

Edited by TGR
  • Like 3

I reckon we will match any offer chip gets, but we need to lock in a successor and look like we could make finals potentially as soon as next year

1. No player in the history of AFL has told his club he will go to another before his last game.

2. Frawley is worth $850k to the Dockers who are entering a premiership window. We aint and hence he is worth less. I recall Lloyd putting an appropriate price on his head earlier in the year in FC.

3. This is his last contract and he would be a fool to turn his back on a few hundred grand a year for what? A good culture? Come on. Money plus late-September action = no-brainer. We will be well-compensated so what is the problem...let him decide....whatever will be will be.

4. This thread was not really about staying or going, but what can happen when you have the guts and brains to shuffle your side a little; and how one event can cascade into something.

If someone said they would offer you pick 5 or 6 for Chip you would tell them to come back when they were serious; that's what we are looking at if he walks so I can't see how we will be well compensated.

I understand what the thread is about, but let's not undersell chip and suggest he's worth an ordinary pick. If this is like the 2003 draft we could be looking at swapping him for Brock McLean.

• Like 2

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Nathan Bock told the Crows he was going to GC before the season was out.

Back on the topic of Frawley though, I wish he had the same attitude as this guy.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Nathan Bock told the Crows he was going to GC before the season was out.

Back on the topic of Frawley though, I wish he had the same attitude as this guy.

I thought this, same with Phil Davis, but I think the catch is that the Crows didnt play them again once they told the club, so it's technically correct.

*might be wrong, they may have played a game or 2.

But I don't think so.

Second last game of the season if I recall and I also remember what happened - Immediately dropped - didnt play those last games. Exactly the same thing I would imagine Roos would do. If you are going you dont play.

It seems Geelong is keen to enter the Frawley race, if an article on the AFL website is to be believed.

I always assumed they were anyway, since they'll need KPDs desperately soon, and Chip played for Vic Metro with Selwood.

Anyway, I don't think he'd be doing himself a great service moving down to sleep hollow.

They want him because they'll have little backline depth left once the pensioners go, and the club is on the slide.

That and the fact I'll key the bastard's car if he leaves it in the KP parking lot.

• Like 2

It seems Geelong is keen to enter the Frawley race, if an article on the AFL website is to be believed.

I always assumed they were anyway, since they'll need KPDs desperately soon, and Chip played for Vic Metro with Selwood.

Anyway, I don't think he'd be doing himself a great service moving down to sleep hollow.

They want him because they'll have little backline depth left once the pensioners go, and the club is on the slide.

That and the fact I'll key the [censored]'s car if he leaves it in the KP parking lot.

haha machsy, you'd have to join a long queue

Is he? When is the last time he said that?

Where did this imaginary deadline come from?

How do we know he hasn't already gone to club and said "work out a deal with my management" and they are quietly doing just that?

Oh, because you expect a leak... How often has this regime leaked?

Did it ever occur to you maybe the club could be keeping any news under wraps for a big feel good announcement later on?

None of those hypotheticals may work out, but who's to say that they won't?

Like any smart player, he is waiting.

There's no rush. For us or him.

Firstly, he was talking about direction about two weeks ago in a DeeTV interview, but on a different basis to his original comments. Hence, shifting the goalposts.

Why would the club keep news like that under wraps, when it puts additional pressure on their player? At what point in a 4-8 season is it really going to be worth a 'feel-good' announcement?

Having said that, you are 100% right in saying there's no rush!

2 things, I think Freo are heading out of their window not entering it. Sandy & Pav near the end. I would also think Frawley has 2 contracts unless this one is for 5 or more years, probably 2 x 3 year contract minimum so this one is not necessarily as crucial as some think. Think Lake with the Dogs/Hawks.

• Like 1

My biggest problem with frawley going is the morale aspect. It also sends a really negative vibe through the club.

It also just proves FA is just a system for lower clubs to be a feeder system for the power clubs.

My biggest problem with frawley going is the morale aspect. It also sends a really negative vibe through the club.

It also just proves FA is just a system for lower clubs to be a feeder system for the power clubs.

Yep, the fact that Geelong wouldn't have to 'pay' anything in terms of their current list or draft position makes it a huge gimme for them.

In a standard trade, they'd be looking at having to give up their first rounder and a young player.

As it is, well, fine, we pick up a first round pick, but they lose nothing.

Just imagine if Carlton had been able to recruit Judd without giving anything up. They could have been top-4 the last three years with Kennedy and two extra first round picks in hand.

System is broken.

That said, good luck to Frawley whether he stays or goes. The Melbourne Football Club is now strong enough to cope with losing a quality player. No longer the drowning man pulling down everyone around him in desperation.

• Like 4

We will leapfrog the Cats in 2015

Would be funny if Chip was stupid enough to go there

I love that no matter how many times you make the "big statement" and end up with egg on your face it doesn't seem to stop you buttering up again.

I admire your dedication to the cause ( and the omelette look you are sporting)

• Like 1

I love that no matter how many times you make the "big statement" and end up with egg on your face it doesn't seem to stop you buttering up again.

I admire your dedication to the cause ( and the omelette look you are sporting)

I have some sympathy regarding big statements. My big statements at the beginning of last year about Watts becoming our most important player, pushing for AA selection by 2014 and having 3 AA selections by about 2017 are looking a little shaky. Damn Roos and his focus on players just playing their role!!!

Didn't even cross my mind to suggest it would actually be Dunn making AA

Can I just say that the rules allow players reps and clubs to talk during the month of October - that doesn't mean the relevant October either - which is why Ablett was done a year in advance and the same with Scully.

So it wouldn't contravene rules for a pre-conceived contract to be in place - just ethics.

I am up for any eventuality really but I am not about to tell him how to conduct his business and the most important contract he will ever sign. He loses my patience if he has already sign but as with a similar situation - I will take him at face value.

I reckon we will match any offer chip gets, but we need to lock in a successor and look like we could make finals potentially as soon as next year

We do not have the option of matching offers.