Selection of Paul Roos successor

All the Jacks

Just to throw a massive smokey into the mix, Todd Viney has senior coaching experience, extremely highly rated assistant, has been sitting in the background under Roos, has the red and blue passion we need.

i'd not be the slightest bit disappointed if it were Todd Viney.

could it be strange that he could be coaching his son though?

I find that a tad odd.

could it be strange that he could be coaching his son though?

I find that a tad odd.

Potentially, but it's a highly professional enviorment, I think between he and the other assitants they'd understand the need to treat him as just another player

both Todd and Jack will always put the MFC first imo

Just to throw a massive smokey into the mix, Todd Viney has senior coaching experience, extremely highly rated assistant, has been sitting in the background under Roos, has the red and blue passion we need.

i'd not be the slightest bit disappointed if it were Todd Viney.

This... and the serious suggestion of Bomber Thompson... are just too much.

You cannot be serious!!

This... and the serious suggestion of Bomber Thompson... are just too much.

You cannot be serious!!

Cmon, I have no problem with people disagreeing, i'd like to know why though?

Bomber is a two time premiership coach, who has developed a team from our position to that point.

Todd Viney has senior coaching experience, highly rated assistant coach, great relationship and familiarity with the players, loves the contested ball game Roosy is basing the plan on

I think there is merit to both personally.

Really? Ok then.

I disagree but seriously CBF'd going into it right now.

Maybe later.

Fair enough, i'll give ya some time to think of something ;)

I can see Todd Viney being the father of Jack being an issue, but one they could work past, i'm sure Tyler Roos being Paul son wouldn't rule him out of discussions if he happened to be the best option at a particular pick.

Bomber, I suppose his involvement in the drug saga could be an issue, really depends on what comes out of that but Roosy has confirmed his Is on the list so clearly not too concerned and doesn't think it's as stupid as you obviously do.

Can't see how it could work with Bomber. Different coaching styles and game plan. They obviously enjoy each other's company but a working relationship would be very different. Much more likely to go for a successor to be moulded in the Roos brand.

Thompson's attack and Roos' defense.

When the ball is in dispute or the other team has the ball you do what Roos says. When you have the ball you do what Thompson says!

They'd work together for a year and Bomber would sit back and take in Roos' advice and then after that I think Bomber would just take the club the way he sees fit.

It would certainly be much different to the plan which is for a coach to do 2 years under Roos and then continue on a more stable way for the players. As long as you appreciate that it's different it could work.

That said I'd say it's about 1% chance Bomber has any interest in being a senior coach again. He doesn't need the money. He doesn't need the stress.

Cmon, I have no problem with people disagreeing, i'd like to know why though?

Bomber is a two time premiership coach, who has developed a team from our position to that point.

Todd Viney has senior coaching experience, highly rated assistant coach, great relationship and familiarity with the players, loves the contested ball game Roosy is basing the plan on

I think there is merit to both personally.

In all honestly the father son combo just wouldn't work at all.

Denis Pagan left the roos because of all the up roar and politics that went against him when he had his son on the Roos list.

Not all players will see eye to eye in this situation.

From what I been told Todd Viney is really enjoying his current job as we speak.

Paul Roos has to know in himself about the final commitment.Its detrimental to Melbournes future and past history.He'll know what he needs to know and the committment to the finals campaign will be inevitable.

A fully fledged run at it, with a measured and decisive outcome with positive expectations if it's not the right time then we all got to accept that and so does MFC.

Melbourne have historically performed in final campaigns and again they are proving their worth but is it going to be enough.

Another year these boys will believe more in themselves like their supporters believe in them.Any case there always is therapy.Another 50 years, oh we'll we will see about that demons.

TA

In all honestly the father son combo just wouldn't work at all.

Denis Pagan left the roos because of all the up roar and politics that went against him when he had his son on the Roos list.

Not all players will see eye to eye in this situation.

From what I been told Todd Viney is really enjoying his current job as we speak.

You're probably right, but I really rated Viney as a coach, felt he had alot right, values tackles and effort, must do the hard stuff, must be willing to bleed for your team

it's probably going to be Kirk but i'm sure Roosy and PJ have looked at all sorts of options

Bomber Thompson is like a little kid around Paul Roos.I reckon he's taking the [censored].

TA

The Buckley succession was handled poorly - I doubt if PJ / PR would make the same mistake.

Misery to some other teams, but do you mean miserly*?

*mean, niggardly, close-fisted,parsimonious, penny-pinching,cheeseparing, Scroogelike; tightfisted,stingy, tight, mingy, money-grubbing,cheap; penurious.

Actually, I thought it was handled pretty well. Malthouse might have been pretty grumpy and didn't remain as he was contracted to do (probably to the benefit of both parties). But Collingwood didn't actually have to "sack" Malthouse, had the added bonus of an unexpected Premiership in the middle of the transition and still have Buckley as their coach. All in all, I'd say "mission accomplished".

I've been weighing up my options and damn it all, I'll do it!

$750,000k pa + incentives to get my team out of the mire, it's worth the pay cut. When do I start?

• Like 3

When I first saw Bolton interviewed prior to coaching Hawthorn I thought it was a late April Fools joke. He reminded me of myself. But how can you not be impressed with what he did with a (albeit champion) team at the time ravaged with injuries and seemingly heading for a slump. Later we heard from those he has coached he is a lot tougher and switched on that his persona suggested. 5 wins from 5 and he slips back into obscurity. He has to be in the mix.

• Like 2

Barassi was living with Norm Smith, treated sort of like a son. Apparently some stresses, but it didn't do too much harm, did it? Some school teachers can teach their own kids, and some can't. So, I don't think Viney is out of the question on grounds of Jack being there. Not that I think it looked the way you'd've wanted it to when he (ie Viney) did have the reins. Then again, back then, could you possibly say he (Viney) had a clear run at it? So, who knows...

Edited by robbiefrom13

When I first saw Bolton interviewed prior to coaching Hawthorn I thought it was a late April Fools joke. He reminded me of myself. But how can you not be impressed with what he did with a (albeit champion) team at the time ravaged with injuries and seemingly heading for a slump. Later we heard from those he has coached he is a lot tougher and switched on that his persona suggested. 5 wins from 5 and he slips back into obscurity. He has to be in the mix.

Welcome to the nut house Palace Dee.

Your photo fits in really well here at Demonland.

Good luck.

Edited by DemonOX

Rumour flying around albury where Kirk is from are that it's him and it will be announced as soon as fremantles season is over, Fremantle are apparently aware of this as Kirk wanted to give them ample time to find a replacement, it's just a rumour but alot of people in albury know Kirk really well so might be truth to it

my money's on Captain Kirk

If that were to be the case, then we'd definitely need Roosy around the club in some capacity, just to help translate to the players what Kirk is trying to say. Very odd character indeed.

Are you basing this on one (scripted) television performance many years ago, or something else? If we need Roos there just to translate messages than Kirk is the wrong man.

Kirk has no such communication issues.

I think to say such things you'd have to have serious limited knowledge of the man.

Exactly right, Kirk is a great communicator, and he is great in terms of being able to rate to the MFC because he's been written off, he's had doubts but he has simply worked too hard not to make something of himself,

he embodies a lot of what I think the MFC is beginning to stand for, team first, being the hardest working stuff, rolling up your sleeves and doing the hard stuff, nothing pretty but it works

• Like 1

Are you basing this on one (scripted) television performance many years ago, or something else? If we need Roos there just to translate messages than Kirk is the wrong man.

no, i ran in to him once and had a little chat. Let's just say, the conversation i had and the tv intro he gave are consistent with one another. He just goes about explaining things a little differently.

Eg. when going from A to B, one would think to take the most direct route, whereas Kirk went to C & D before finding his way to B.