Selection of Paul Roos successor

All the Jacks

Rumour flying around albury where Kirk is from are that it's him and it will be announced as soon as fremantles season is over, Fremantle are apparently aware of this as Kirk wanted to give them ample time to find a replacement, it's just a rumour but alot of people in albury know Kirk really well so might be truth to it

I dont get this but. Clubs aren't just allowed to interview assistant coaches during the season I think thats part of the coaches association rule.

They would have to wait till the end of the year for interviews.

I also highly doubt the Dockers would have a Melbourne assistant coach in the box. Mick Malthouse gave Neeld the flick as soon as he was named senior coach.

I dont get this but. Clubs aren't just allowed to interview assistant coaches during the season I think thats part of the coaches association rule.

I also highly doubt the Dockers would have a Melbourne assistant coach in the box. Mick Malthouse gave Neeld the flick as soon as he was named senior coach.

Is there a difference between "an interview" and a "chat between close mates"in the Coaches' Association rules?

Certainly there can be no written commitment, but IF Roos and Kirk agreed that he would be appointed a assistant / successor-in-waiting then it would be as good as a signed contract.

Just to get us fully informed, what are Kirk's coaching credentials / cv since his playing retirement?

Edited by monoccular

Ross and Roosy are best mates, so who knows, like I said it's just a rumour so who knows

Because as Peter Jackson has said, too often this club has appointed the best "Melbourne-person" for the job, and not the best person. Remember Connolly?

but is he not qualified? did he not love the club? he's as good a candidate as any other.

however if there was an obviously better candidate then we should take the best option.
Just suggesting that james has had the experience that is required to become an assistant of sorts.

Whatever it takes to keep Roos at the club in some capacity.

I have heard something like that before, somewhere.

Are you suggesting perhaps that there is some sort of experimental, non- approved for human use, substance that we could inject into him, of course with his (un)informed consent, somewhere close to but off site from the club, that would make him stay?

but is he not qualified? did he not love the club? he's as good a candidate as any other.

No he's not unfortunately. He is very inexperienced and working in a club with an average to poor culture having come from similar.

• Like 1

I gotta say that i really think Brett Ratten would be ideal. He would definitely have a hunger to fulfil his ambition that was cruely lost at the hands of the Blue balls , when he was an assistant with us sometime ago , i definitely saw influence and improvement from him at the back end, in fact from reports, he left the club cos he found danners would rarely listen to him on game plans and had a concern he was taking over, that was opinion of some there at the time. He had a good defensive style to his game and he was a mid that knew his way around a pack/ground well.

• Like 1

No he's not unfortunately. He is very inexperienced and working in a club with an average to poor culture having come from similar.

he's been coaching longer than most of the 'preferred candidates'.

and the judgement of GWS culture is all speculation.

We can make that call if their key players opt to leave or if someone from within the club actually implies it.

until then how could we know.

Edited by Deez

We can make that call if their key players opt to leave or if someone from within the club actually implies it.

He's worked under a coach in absence, Sheedy and an untried coach in Cameron. Just doesn't have the runs on the board.

He might have been treated poorly by the club but it doesn't mean we pay him back by handing him the keys.

I gotta say that i really think Brett Ratten would be ideal. He would definitely have a hunger to fulfil his ambition that was cruely lost at the hands of the Blue balls , when he was an assistant with us sometime ago , i definitely saw influence and improvement from him at the back end, in fact from reports, he left the club cos he found danners would rarely listen to him on game plans and had a concern he was taking over, that was opinion of some there at the time. He had a good defensive style to his game and he was a mid that knew his way around a pack/ground well.

IIRC our midfield was going gangbusters when Ratts was our mid coach, and his demise at the Cheaters was largely political I believe. Could do a lot worse - and have done so often enough :-(((((

Still, Kirk should be more in with the Roos plan.

He's worked under a coach in absence, Sheedy and an untried coach in Cameron. Just doesn't have the runs on the board.

He might have been treated poorly by the club but it doesn't mean we pay him back by handing him the keys.

not suggesting that we repay him in anyway.

But at the very least, I think he would be a handy midfield coach.

He was a fantastic leader, a great play reader and a great player - all australian in 2006 from memory.

If he is now or could be tutored in to a valuable coach through roos, then I think he is worth a look in at the least.

not suggesting that we repay him in anyway.

But at the very least, I think he would be a handy midfield coach.

He was a fantastic leader, a great play reader and a great player - all australian in 2006 from memory.

If he is now or could be tutored in to a valuable coach through roos, then I think he is worth a look in at the least.

Hey guys - in these long threads, how about instead of saying "he" put in a name. Without trawling through the thread it is hard at times to know who is being discussed.

Makes it a lot easier to follow, especially if one only has a phone to follow it at times.

Edited by monoccular

Hey guys - in these long threads, how about instead of saying "he" put in a name. Without trawling through the thread it is hard at times to know who is being discussed.

Makes it a lot easier to follow, especially if one only has a phone to follow it at times.

Makes sense, sorry 'mono'.

I have heard something like that before, somewhere.

Are you suggesting perhaps that there is some sort of experimental, non- approved for human use, substance that we could inject into him, of course with his (un)informed consent, somewhere close to but off site from the club, that would make him stay?

Please................... This was Jim's mantra long before the Scum even thought of using it as their druggy slogan. How dare they sully Jim's creed for the rest of eternity.

Going to throw it out there a second time, he has as much experience as Ling and is still playing if they win a flag this year great way to sign off and do a 2 year apprenticeship. Coaches on field and one of the smartest footballers I've ever seen

Hodge

But having said that don't rule out Rawlings

The Buckley succession was handled poorly - I doubt if PJ / PR would make the same mistake.

Misery to some other teams, but do you mean miserly*?

*mean, niggardly, close-fisted,parsimonious, penny-pinching,cheeseparing, Scroogelike; tightfisted,stingy, tight, mingy, money-grubbing,cheap; penurious.

Damn ipad !

• Like 1

apologies, reading back, it could def be confusing

I think you read back far enough, the subject was james mcdonald.

Just to throw a massive smokey into the mix, Todd Viney has senior coaching experience, extremely highly rated assistant, has been sitting in the background under Roos, has the red and blue passion we need.

i'd not be the slightest bit disappointed if it were Todd Viney.