Players to target at the end of the year

Not calling you a liar, Rjay, I believe you but I didn't think he'd be like this, but each to their own I guess.

Shiel going very well today. What a player.

Haven't noticed any GWS player going good.

I would very much like Shiel, watching the kid today highlights how good he can be, in such a [censored] team.

Also Trealor and Coniglio, both are absolute jets.

Do we throw the kitchen sinks at them or someone like Patton?

While were on the kitchen i'll throw in a pair of knives.

I would very much like Shiel, watching the kid today highlights how good he can be, in such a [censored] team.

Do we throw the kitchen sinks at them or someone like Patton?

Patton moves about as fast as a kitchen sink. No thanks.

The 3 midfielders are obvious talents but they all spend a lot of time going backwards and sideways at half back due to a lot of the supporting cast. The worry is you'd need to take them backwards in development to teach them how to play proper football if they get entrenched in this crud. Collingwood are doing that with Taylor Adams right now. Tyson might've been lucky to miss so much footy in his first 2 years.

• Like 1

Patton moves about as fast as a kitchen sink. No thanks.

The 3 midfielders are obvious talents but they all spend a lot of time going backwards and sideways at half back due to a lot of the supporting cast. The worry is you'd need to take them backwards in development to teach them how to play proper football if they get entrenched in this crud. Collingwood are doing that with Taylor Adams right now. Tyson might've been lucky to miss so much footy in his first 2 years.

I think we got the best one of the big 3...Patton, Boyd and Hogan if we can get him on the ground. The next one is McCartin for me but we won't get this pick.

We need to get blokes like O'Rourke and Plowman, guys who haven't been as exposed to the GWS style

We need to get blokes like O'Rourke and Plowman, guys who haven't been as exposed to the GWS style

Why do we want O'Rourke? he doesnt find the footy enough. I would rather take someone from the draft who can find the pill. I really believe that there are other midfielders on the GWS list who we could look at infront of him.

As for Plowman, i'd love him

Shiel, Treloar and Coniglio should be jets.

They need some senior leadership or could suffer Jack Trengove's fate.

We all hope Jack can get back so nobody should be discounting those GWS boys.

watching GWS now

Playing like a team of players that cant wait to leave at the end of their contracts and who can blame them

Will be disappointed if we cant land 1 or 2 of their young guns at seasons end, there will certainly be a mass exodus

I didn't see or hear the game or result until after the game.

I agree in part with Georgiou R.R. Martin's post, in the GW$ debacle thread.

And it may be clear now to all, that GWS need to import quality experienced mature players, & quickly. Maybe 3 players from the ilk of Sewell, Frawley, Porplyzia, Enright, Firrito, or a Cornes, Gwilt.

Maybe GWS will have to do trades to get their needs met? I can see the feathers flying with Hawks, Eagles, Pies, & Bombers circling, with the Cats ready to pounce.

Coniglio is best friends with Dom Tyson. Maybe Dom should get in his ear and get him to come to the MFC :D

O'Rourke is a decent talent. You don't go pick 2 for no reason. He still needs to fill out a bit more, and due to injury his fitness levels are poor. He will win more ball as he gets fitter and start damaging teams with his run.

Any of Coniglio, Shiel, Treloar or O'Rourke would be good pick ups. Treloar is the best and most proven of the bunch at present, but all 4 have potential to be damaging midfielders long term.

Can't see Roos going after a expensive superstar. His swans had gun players but he picked these blokes up from the scrap heap. I think we will get more Riley and Mitchie types. Blokes we have never heard of who will turn out very well for us.

• Like 1

Coniglio is best friends with Dom Tyson. Maybe Dom should get in his ear and get him to come to the MFC :D

O'Rourke is a decent talent. You don't go pick 2 for no reason. He still needs to fill out a bit more, and due to injury his fitness levels are poor. He will win more ball as he gets fitter and start damaging teams with his run.

Any of Coniglio, Shiel, Treloar or O'Rourke would be good pick ups. Treloar is the best and most proven of the bunch at present, but all 4 have potential to be damaging midfielders long term.

I see Shiel, from what I've noticed, has the ability to drive thru/past tackles, to advance the ball, to be in the style of LMatthews/DMartin style player. With aggression, & power thru the legs/hips/core.

I don't see that we have anyone with this natural ability amongst our Mids, & this In my mind, IS the Perfect foil, to any speedsters that we add onto our list. I don't think these types come around too often.

He is competing against more mature, bigger bodies atmo, but as he grows, he'll don't argue all over the place. & be a powerful goal kicking Mid.

This would give our Mid rotations the variation, of power, endurance Jones/Cross, class & quick hands Tyson/vince, aggro/tenacity Viney, with speed, & height to come in.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Shiel, Treloar and Coniglio should be jets.

They need some senior leadership or could suffer Jack Trengove's fate.

We all hope Jack can get back so nobody should be discounting those GWS boys.

Can't see Roos going after a expensive superstar. His swans had gun players but he picked these blokes up from the scrap heap. I think we will get more Riley and Mitchie types. Blokes we have never heard of who will turn out very well for us.

that's why we have to trade them into the list before they arrive as Name players. like I wanted Danger & Boak about 3 or 4 years back. when they were no names. & watch GRohan over the next 2 yrs.

Edited by dee-luded

Adam Treloar is the one I would offer the big contract/big $$$'s. he will be a star !!

we need more than just stars, we need a broad base of talents across the list, so we can build a champion team,,, rather than a team of champions.

so we need the small stepping mids, the strong tall mids, the fast running mids, & the powerful drivethru mids.

we need more than just stars, we need a broad base of talents across the list, so we can build a champion team,,, rather than a team of champions.

so we need the small stepping mids, the strong tall mids, the fast running mids, & the powerful drivethru mids.

Whilst you're correct, we have an abundance of talent yet to truly shine through.

Trealor would be the necessary midfielder needed to complete our midfield on paper. (obviously performance is another issue).

But talent is definitely there

Kent, Toumpas, Watts, Viney, Tyson, Jones, Vince, Michie, Salem, Grimes, Trengove, JKH, maybe Riley and Howe.

The talents there, we need a big gun

that's why we have to trade them into the list before they arrive as Name players. like I wanted Danger & Boak about 3 or 4 years back. when they were no names. & watch GRohan over the next 2 yrs.

Roos & Stone would know this one, from the outside looking in he would be a good pick up for me but maybe his injury has left him with scars that he has struggled with. We could do with his size and leg speed though.

Roos & Stone would know this one, from the outside looking in he would be a good pick up for me but maybe his injury has left him with scars that he has struggled with. We could do with his size and leg speed though.

Cognilio and O'Rourke both pick 2. Shiel and Treloar both would've been top 5 picks if not for prelisting. Dangerfield and Boak were both top 10 picks that even at their lowest value would've taken a first round pick to budge. Gary Rohan was what pick 5? His injury has set him back a long way but he'd still have significant value.

The point is to get one of those guys just like getting Dom Tyson you have to give up a lot. And sometimes it's better to draft and develop your own rather than to pay money and draft picks for a guy who looks great on the upside but may not be so wonderful. Tyson worked out, but going down the same route may be risky. Or the bigger reality is there might not be another Tyson willing to come.

The swans under Roos spent first round picks at times - Darren Jolly was one. But a lot more went for the 3rd round picks for guys like McGlynn, Kennedy, Ted Richards, Marty Mattner, Rhyce Shaw etc.

Sometimes trades make sense, some times you have to let the recruiters do their job. I don't think their is a set game plan but my first guess is depending on the deals available that Roos would actually be a fan of getting some top end speed and skill in the draft. Some more Salem, JKH, Viney like types. And these are much easier to find with early picks. To find role players to balance the list I think he'll go more with later picks.

Whilst you're correct, we have an abundance of talent yet to truly shine through.

Trealor would be the necessary midfielder needed to complete our midfield on paper. (obviously performance is another issue).

But talent is definitely there

Kent?, Toumpas?, Watts?, Viney, Tyson, NJones, Vince, Michie?, Salem?, Grimes, Trengove, JKH?, maybe Riley? and Howe?.

The talents there, we need a big gun

I'm not talking against Treloar, just saying that the Shiel type are a rare breed, & if you find a really good one, grab them. As far as Treloar goes, I haven't watched them much over the last year & a bit, so not comparing Treloar to anyone.

But I saw Shiel in U-18's a couple of times, & saw him in his early AFL games, & was really impressed. He has the game, for big game breaking. Not flashy, but built around 'a take it on' & break thru, to make it happen, type of mentality, & game.

We have in the past kept being dazzled by the flashy shiny players, & have let the Hawks & other clubs take the power build players. look at Wines last year.

No knock on Toump, but we as a club need to focus on more 'Guts Grunt & Mental Toughness' in our recruits. we need 80/20... 80% Guts Grunt & Mental Toughness, 20% elite skill & finish.

We're still well short on for the 80%, but have started to make inroads now.

#edit: Kent?, Toumpas?, Watts?, Viney, Tyson, NJones, Vince, Michie?, Salem?, Grimes, Trengove, JKH?, maybe Riley? and Howe?.

Edited by dee-luded

Shiel going very well today. What a player.

Felt he was playing for himself today. Got a lot of the ball, but chipped sideways a lot of the time and then waited around for a fair bit of easy ball. I like him though. If Roos and co deem him the one to target, I'll be happy. Would prefer Treloar though, I think.