Players to target at the end of the year

I don't think we are yet at the stage where we should be targeting established A-grade stars. We are where Port was - a talented list needing development and leadership. We have that now in Roos and his team - let them get on with it and let them do the same sort of inciteful trading as they did last year ie get new players of potential and develop them. Roos has proved his potential here. I would rather concentrate on retaining the Hogans, Watts, Grimes, Jones of this world, and add some more Bernie Vince types than buy a Dangerfield for a million plus. Maybe in three years time when we are knocking on the door of a premiership, but even then I would be skeptical.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 3

Adam Tomlinson is a very impressive 193cm mobile forward.

Works hard up & down the ground. Quite impressive.

Bound to be squeezed out to somewhere now that GWS have Boyd, Patton, Cameron & McCarthy as forwards.

Will Hoskin-Eliot is a whippet-like tall running player.

Covers ground like Lewis Jetta.

Not convinced on his hardness, but he obviously runs very hard.

Skills seem good without being amazing.

Where he is now is probably the best we could ever hope for with Blease... if Blease had a more substantial tank.

*would be very happy with a "pick 3 for both" type deal.

Tomlinson and Plowman would knock my socks off.

Tomlinson and Shiel would knock mine off.

I don't think we are yet at the stage where we should be targeting established A-grade stars. We are where Port was - a talented list needing development and leadership. We have that now in Roos and his team - let them get on with it and let them do the same sort of inciteful trading as they did last year ie get new players of potential and develop them. Roos has proved his potential here. I would rather concentrate on retaining the Hogans, Watts, Grimes, Jones of this world, and add some more Bernie Vince types than buy a Dangerfield for a million plus. Maybe in three years time when we are knocking on the door of a premiership, but even then I would be skeptical.

Why can't we have both? I'd rather have Dangerfield than about 10 from our team on Saturday. At the very least. Who cares how much he costs?

I agree.

I don't think buying in superstars on big money is Roos' modus operandi.

I think buying Tippett, and then Franklin, on huge money deals, and essentially chipping away at the team culture Roos had built up, is one of the big sticking points that saw Roos leave the Swans rather acrimoniously.

Roos at Syndey never bought a big money star.

Barry Hall came across about 6 months before Roos took the reins, while Eade was still in charge.

I just don't think it fits Roos philosophy.

He seems to prefer finding undervalued commodities and tapping into their talent.

• Like 3

I reckon Rosa will be right up his alley, I rate him as an honest best 22 player with the potential to be a lot more, we have already seen Roos start to tap into this with, Dawes, Dunn, Jetta, Pederson, Bail.

I certainly think he'll be after a key forward, another good young ruck and abit of outside class and polish

couple of servicable players i'd look at adding to the side-

Nathan Vardy - good young out of contract mobile FWD/RUCK

Kristen Jacksh - 196cm 94kg swingman and only 19 wants to come home to vic as feels he is a surplus to needs at GWS

Jono O'rourke - very talented young mid, we have seen with Tyson these players find it alot easier if they aren't competing with all others their own age.

Jeff Garlett - I think Roos would give him a role and get the best out of him

Brad Sewell - offer him a two year deal as a playing assistant coach, this bloke is seriously smart, still has alot to offer on and off field, comes from success and a good culture and will not get a game at Hawthorn.

John Butcher - was considered possibly a top 4 pick in his draft, ended up going 7 i believe, alot of talent but it hasn't quite come together, perfect project for Roosy to bring him home.

Edited by Sassy

All interesting names. I still want some mids to compete with the kids we have, someone to help Cross shoulder some burden, a small forward would be a nice luxury item, and a possible replacement for Frawley of course.

Hogan and Trengove will be two good acquisitions for 2015...

• Like 1

All interesting names. I still want some mids to compete with the kids we have, someone to help Cross shoulder some burden, a small forward would be a nice luxury item, and a possible replacement for Frawley of course.

Hogan and Trengove will be two good acquisitions for 2015...

That's the thing, development from within will make a difference, the natural progression of Salem, Toumpas, Trengove, Michie, Bail, Kent should mean they are all able to compete in the midfield at AFL level

combine them with Jones, Tyson, Viney, Cross, Vince, Watts, JKH and we have a quality deep midfield, i'd love us to add Sewell and O'rourke to that group, both will be in the mix right away, O'rourke is a former pick 2 although that was probably overs for him, and Sewell will add alot right away,

Throw the kitchen at Dylan Shiel.

he was open to coming to us last year, 500k a year to come home and we will have the draft picks to get the deal done

he was open to coming to us last year, 500k a year to come home and we will have the draft picks to get the deal done

I really like the kid but $500k he is not worth that and pretty certain given the culture he built at Sydney Roos would not be forking out that sort of schilachos to a kid in his 4th year.

If Fyfe is gettable I would be going there.

We have the cap space to land him or someone of his ilk.

They will ask for Hogan but we will have a top 5 pick to give.

I have been told Freo will only offer him 500k they want cap space presumably for Hogan, and he thinks he could get more so he is open to offers,

i don't know if that means he is gettable but i think there is a sneaky chance.

Treloar of GWS is said to be unhappy over in the west sydney badlands and will be on his bike home at end of year.

IMO, he's better value than Scully and definitely worth looking at.

absolutely he is, if Treloar wants to come home he'd be my number 1 target

if we chip i wonder if our first pick and compo pick would net us Treloar and Shiel?

If Fyfe is gettable I would be going there.

We have the cap space to land him or someone of his ilk.

They will ask for Hogan but we will have a top 5 pick to give.

I agree. I dont want to give Hogan up as much as anyone with the talent he has shown in his little time here. Saying that, only the people in the club know the true psyche of him and if he has shared any inkling that he may think about returning to WA in the future, and Fyfe is open to moving to the home of football and he is looking to get the contract i believe he deserves, i pull the trigger and do the trade for Hogan. I know some may not agree.

Fyfe is 22 years old and is considered elite with 70-80 odd games under his belt already. One of my favourite players to watch in the league, silky smooth with courage and i think his ability in both the forward line and midfield is very handy in today's style of footy.

I am not contemplating draft picks we may or may not have at the end of year. For the first time in a long time, i am actually enjoying watching our team take every week as an opportunity to improve and win. If we did end up with a top 5 pick there are a fair share of bigs that are vic based which is handy.

That's just my opinion anyway

• Like 1

Treloar of GWS is said to be unhappy over in the west sydney badlands and will be on his bike home at end of year.

IMO, he's better value than Scully and definitely worth looking at.

Surely that can't be true.

He's a bona fide star.

500k for Shiel would be an ABSOLUTE steal!

I rate Shiel very highly, it will take that type of coin to get him onboard.

Richmond will be chasing him hard.

Treloar will be highly sort after, would be great to get him.

O'Rourke and Plowman are the other two.

Would be great to land any one of those players, would be a dream to land a couple of them.