WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

Surely it's not that hard. He jogs around aimlessly rather than applying pressure and sprinting to the ball to force turnovers. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what he's doing wrong. It's not a skill deficiency, it's pure laziness.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 4

He deserves it. He looks as though he is disinterested.

Will continue to cop it from me until he really runs his guts out.

I will criticise on here ( balanced criticism I hope) and agree that he is not nearly putting in the effort required.

But I still don't get abusing your own out on the field.

After taking particular notice of Watt's game, it becomes obvious that what he really lacks is 'closing speed' (my 11 year old boy is the same). This is something that is really hard to coach as it in part reflects desire, (something that is normally inherent in someone’s psyche) – those few quicker steps required to ‘get the ball or man’ should be instinctive (my 9 year old has this, even to the point of screaming in a blood curdling madmen’s voice “my ball” as he attacks it, regardless of obstacles in the way). Still outside players are also worth their weight to their team if they are prepared to run, the better ones also have that ‘breaking speed” to get away – which unfortunately Watts seemed reluctant to do; there was on one occasion he received the ball to his advantage running towards our forward 50 only to stop/prop let the player chasing him dart by, to then chip over his head; far to many time he also received the ball stopped/propped then handball to a stationary teammate (players from better teams would take a couple of quick steps to commit a tackler and dish of the handball in the tackle; this would create space – which at the very least would provide one less person to kick the ball over, resulting in flatter kicks and faster ball movement).

Still I am a Watt’s fan and believe it will pick up when his confidence is back, as I have seen him do acts of courage; at the moment his hesitation is manifesting into desire/intent that is reactive, not proactive/aggressive.

A possible exercise that works with kids is to just throw the ball on the ground about 5-10 metres away (in a small circle), and have him chase/dive/scrounge it back to you (that is there only focus to get the ball, if someone else has got it then they has to get it off them); when the ball is returned you bat it away for repeat efforts; Other players involved will be given instructions to gather the ball and release quickly to ensure he gets reward for effort, while a couple may be required to run the ball until caught so as to encourage disposing a player of the ball (again the objective is, as my son puts it “my ball”). After a while it becomes instinctive, and if not then it never will.

Edited by Ungarie boy

I will criticise on here ( balanced criticism I hope) and agree that he is not nearly putting in the effort required.

But I still don't get abusing your own out on the field.

the abuse doesnt worry me,copped it on the field at local footy .

i think the abuse comes from 5 years of nothing and it shows more than ever now with cross,vince,dunn,pedders and a few others showing absolute determination to improve and get to every contest.

a good game every 5 weeks isnt enough to survive in the team,as the new coach expects more.

unfortunately after 5years,he cant cut it and doesnt look like making it.

he just doesnt have the ability to lift his rating with a team now doing it more,and if he cant get there now,hes got no hope when the team eventually lifts another 20%.

game over im afraid.

Its a terrible thing being bereft of confidence and having your supporters not supporting.

Jack needs to get back to basics and he needs our support . But each to there own .

I reckon he could turn it around with 5 minutes of footy to get himself going.

really, I've had this my hole life. had to battle against the odds when the harder you tried the harder the clique pushed you down.

it never stopped me going harder for the things I believed in. even chasing harder against the blue ribbon boys when my team of easy beats layed down. then they call you a 'Hero' for daring to run down their champ.

you know what, jack just has to try, & to chase, to show some effort, some heart, some desire, & love for what he represents, other than himself...

he's just sulking.

Edited by dee-luded

Is it just me or do others think that Watts plays Basketball on an AFL oval? To me he looks like his instincts are more bastketball than football and I cant see him breaking those habits. I doubt he will never reach the level required to be a top 22 player in a successful team.

He seems like a great kid and I dont think he lacks desire or courage but I am fast reaching the conclusion that he has made a terrible mistake in picking AFL above basketball. Who knows but with his skill set and atheltism he may have lost the chance of an NBL career and the chance of an olympic medal.

i think the abuse comes from 5 years of nothing and it shows more than ever now with cross,vince,dunn,pedders and a few others showing absolute determination to improve and get to every contest.

a good game every 5 weeks isnt enough to survive in the team,as the new coach expects more.

he just doesnt have the ability to lift his rating with a team now doing it more,and if he cant get there now,hes got no hope when the team eventually lifts another 20%.

game over im afraid.

Besides not liking verbal abuse of players anyway, I guess my distaste is that any time Watts went near the ball some yahoo's ( one in particular in the members reserve who was a Melbourne supporter) went into full abuse mode. Most of his efforts ( IMO) have not been up to scratch and I guess that clouded the judgement of the more "passionate" at the ground but to yell abuse at him any time he was in the vicinity of the ball just seemed ludicrous to me.

• Like 2

game over im afraid.

I think we're all hoping Jack can find it, & come good. But we want him to pay his dues for a complete lack of work ethic. he just doesn't want to extend himself, to push, to stretch himself & to 'work up a sweat as it were'. Either that or he just wants out.

what ever it is in his mind, he has to set it right @ Casey. I think thats what we all want to see. the hunger.

Surely it's not that hard. He jogs around aimlessly rather than applying pressure and sprinting to the ball to force turnovers. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what he's doing wrong. It's not a skill deficiency, it's pure laziness.

Yes and no... He's playing his first year as a midfielder, he's had a couple of off games. We know the basic pressure stuff should be by job drummed onto the whole team as it's the cornerstone of Roos game plan. That's the disappointing aspect but he's not on his lonesome there...

I've calmed down a bit now and after watching the game a second time I still think he needs to play this week against the Crows. Dropping him now could potentially have an even more negative long term effect.

Let's remember, this is Roos project - not Jack Watts's.

Frustration personified with JW. Leadership group must tell him to get on his skates ASAP.

If no significant change of attitude and work ethic by JW by round 14, then he must be trade bait. The club cannot afford to carry these types anymore.

• Like 3

Is it just me or do others think that Watts plays Basketball on an AFL oval? To me he looks like his instincts are more bastketball than football and I cant see him breaking those habits. I doubt he will never reach the level required to be a top 22 player in a successful team.

He seems like a great kid and I dont think he lacks desire or courage but I am fast reaching the conclusion that he has made a terrible mistake in picking AFL above basketball. Who knows but with his skill set and atheltism he may have lost the chance of an NBL career and the chance of an olympic medal.

think you'll find basketball at the top level requires a bit of what jack is missing too

think you'll find basketball at the top level requires a bit of what jack is missing too

Needs to be narrowed down to say he plays like an outside point guard.

Forwards and centres get smashed in basketball.

• Like 1

This is exactly why he should stop watching basketball altogether at this point. because the basketball images in his minds eye are replaying into his intuition, rather than a footy methodology. normally this isn't a problem with most, but in Jacks case it does seem to be.

olympics? he not displaying the tenacity of combativeness to get to national league level so far.

he's just be an OK state league player

he has the ability, but he is resisting the urge to try to take it on. have a go as we say.

his avoidance is pulling up his competative urge to succeed. so I think he still has some sort of chip on his shoulder. stubbornly fighting just as hard refusing to change, as his urge is to compete & win. = he's going nowhere at the minute.

I don't get it when people say he is lazy. You don't go through all that training and mindless gym work if you are lazy. Doesn't he 'train the house down' more or less like everyone else? There must be more to it. I suspect lack of confidence is a big factor.

• Like 2

The club cannot afford to carry these types anymore.

This is what it boils down to. The defensive pressure against Sydney was by and large very good, which made Watts stick out like a sore thumb. There will definitely be another club who will take a punt on him if it comes to that.

imagine Jack Watts with the courage and intensity of Jack Viney. Now that would be one hell of a player.

All we can do is dream

I imagine Jack Watts with the courage and intensity of any other player on our list.

Frustration personified with JW. Leadership group must tell him to get on his skates ASAP.

If no significant change of attitude and work ethic by JW by round 14, then he must be trade bait. The club cannot afford to carry these types anymore.

Last year I was on the "trade him bandwagon" but then when Roos signed up followed by Jack I could see how it could work. Watts must be stupid, Roos coaching is half the equation, Watts applying himself is the other. His deficiencies were known to all before preseason started and yet nothing's changed. What worries me now is other clubs would be thinking to themselves the skills have always been there, if Roos can't get inside his head enough to motivate him to realise his potential who bloody can. Last year we could have got a first rounder for him, now any club that sees themselves as challenging wouldn't bother touching him. Would be interested to know how much were paying him.

Last year I was on the "trade him bandwagon" but then when Roos signed up followed by Jack I could see how it could work. Watts must be stupid, Roos coaching is half the equation, Watts applying himself is the other. His deficiencies were known to all before preseason started and yet nothing's changed. What worries me now is other clubs would be thinking to themselves the skills have always been there, if Roos can't get inside his head enough to motivate him to realise his potential who bloody can. Last year we could have got a first rounder for him, now any club that sees themselves as challenging wouldn't bother touching him. Would be interested to know how much were paying him.

The difference between APS Schoolboy Football & TAC comp.

Attitude.

Watts should never have been pick 1. He hadn't been tested. Same could be said for $cully.

Attitude not right.

Niether have progressed from year 1.

• Like 1

Watts doesn't need any footy training...he needs to be trained into taking a hit.

Every session watts should be training his tackling...just like forwards train for their goal kicking.

Get him in the boxing ring...first against cross (4 rounds), then Viney hops into the ring for another 4 rounds (no break for Watts), then Nate Jones then against Dawes.

Get Watts to go 16 rounds and fight when his back's against the wall. Teach him that he'll get hurt, but it won't last forever.

He needs to learn to fight...and i don't mean as in throw a punch, but mentally when the chips are down and he's hurting, he needs to fight.

Send him off to do his basic training in the army...teach him that his actions are about the net worth to the team, not about protecting his little pea heart.

• Like 3

Watts doesn't need any footy training...he needs to be trained into taking a hit.

Every session watts should be training his tackling...just like forwards train for their goal kicking.

Get him in the boxing ring...first against cross (4 rounds), then Viney hops into the ring for another 4 rounds (no break for Watts), then Nate Jones then against Dawes.

Get Watts to go 16 rounds and fight when his back's against the wall. Teach him that he'll get hurt, but it won't last forever.

He needs to learn to fight...and i don't mean as in throw a punch, but mentally when the chips are down and he's hurting, he needs to fight.

Send him off to do his basic training in the army...teach him that his actions are about the net worth to the team, not about protecting his little pea heart.

I raised the boxing last week, he needs something. Running out of options.
  • Like 1