Post Match Discussion

Demonland

I don't really rate any of them - If Spencer wasn't our only fit ruckman I would be happy to delist all three at years end.

As I have said before - Bail has the ability to turn it on once in a while (last week) and I admire him but he I don't see him as a premiership player.

Bail was starting to come good a few years ago and unfortunately was hit with injuries and concussions; he's a lot better than he's given credit for.

He'll be ok.

Spencer needs a few more years before he will be at his best, he's 24, played less than 30 games and no where hear his prime, he's still learning.

Edited by RobbieF
  • Like 2

I just saw a replay of the first half after not seeing the game yesterday and the player to really stand out to me was Kent.

He's a natural footy player with confidence and skills.

Who knew that that was the type of player to draft?

• Like 9

Was it Kent who won a WAFL U18 medal but didn't make the state side?

yes he won the Jack Clarke Medal as best & fairest in WAFL Colts, Kent missed out on under 18 selection which was made in the early part of the 2012 season. I know with him being a country boy there were issues with him getting all the training in over the pre-season but as the season went on he got much better and thankfully for us he slipped under the radar and probably down the pecking order.

I was told after he was drafted that this kid could really flourish in a full time professional environment

• Like 5

VENOM is the word to describe our play,bout time too.

tackles stuck,there was grunt shown at every stoppage.

• Like 3

Frawley has really grown in the forward role now, and I think he'll go on to be a greater defender because of it.

He'll be much more comfortable reading and attacking the footy in the air like Brian Lake does.

Winning the footy before his opponent can, as opposed to just making it as difficult as possible for his opponent to win it. There's a distinction.

Also handy to have that string to his bow of being able to go forward as a swing man. Valuable to him, and our side.

Dawes was fantastic, just by being a big obvious target that would not get outmarked.

He may have dropped a handful of marks, but he brought the ball to ground.

That's why we got him.

Jordie was great. As I've said before, he can kick, but was often unable to by virtue of where he was getting his possessions, largely due to instruction.

Matt Jones and Bail were better, in that they do most things well enough, but usually struggle to hit targets and are therefore turnover merchants. There seems to have been a clear instruction for them (and McKenzie) to kick to position and the hot spots, rather than trying to hit up a target. It has worked.

Viney showed excellent hardness at the contest, not that I'd expect any different.

Is he eligible for NAB rising star? May get the nod this week.

Spencer put in great effort and aggression, and that's exactly what I want from him... but his disposal is still god awful most of the time.

Cross justified me having called for his recruitment from Round 6 onwards last year.

Doing even better than I imagined.

As for Carlton...

Anyone hear Bruce Mathieson on the radio after the match?

No wonder Carlton are in so much trouble.

He's another meddling [censored], in the vein of Joe Gutnick.

Obviously he has given a lot to that club, but he was demanding immediate change without being able to articulate what he actually wanted to happen, that could feasibly be done in the short-term, and how that action would change Carlton's fortunes.

He was angry, fair enough, but don't wade in unless you have some clear idea of what you're demanding happen.

As for Mick's presser... It was a bit disappointing to be honest!

Except for some absolute pillock who was asking Mick "how does this loss compare to your losses in the 2002 and 2003 grand finals?"

Really? That's the best you could come up with?

Either a moron or simply trying to elicit a reaction.

Mick was baffled, but moved on respectfully.

Haha heard that one! He sounded like an absolute i***t. Rookie journo I suspect which is why Malthouse let him off so lightly.

Edit: Didn't realise the 'i' word was worthy of censorship.

Edited by Vince Vega

Kent definitely has a crack and I owe Cross an apology. I thought he was dusted, but not on yesterday!

Ah Clark Kent? Funny you misspelt Clark because a previous poster said he won the Clarke medal for best WAFL U18 player, that's where I was confused! I reckon he'll be a ripper.

Yes misspelt with that in mind, just a pun ha.....looks ok doesnt he.

• Like 1

Kent definitely has a crack and I owe Cross an apology. I thought he was dusted, but not on yesterday!

Kent will only get better and Cross still has a couple of years left in him, he is absolutely fearless and should be an inspiration to the other players. I hope he stays on in a coaching role at Melbourne after he retires from playing.

I have never seen a more aggressive midfield at Melbourne and we still have Riley to debut. This is tailor made for players like Watts and Toumpass who have all the outside skills.

I'm not getting carried away, because Carlton are in real strife and might get the number one pick for the first time, without having to tank, but we showed some real heart and have a lot of very young and inexperienced players in the side.

• Like 2

Melbourne wins, Carlton loses, Richmond Collingwood loses, Essendon loses, doesn't get much better that that.

Now that would have made it perfect.

But I will take the actual

• Like 2

Melbourne wins, Carlton loses, Richmond loses, Essendon loses, doesn't get much better that that.

It would have been much better if Collingwood had lost!

Kent will only get better and Cross still has a couple of years left in him, he is absolutely fearless and should be an inspiration to the other players. I hope he stays on in a coaching role at Melbourne after he retires from playing.

I have never seen a more aggressive midfield at Melbourne and we still have Riley to debut. This is tailor made for players like Watts and Toumpass who have all the outside skills.

I'm not getting carried away, because Carlton are in real strife and might get the number one pick for the first time, without having to tank, but we showed some real heart and have a lot of very young and inexperienced players in the side.

They hd better not get a PP when we missed out on one last year despite only achieving two wins!