Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 2

Demonland

THE DARK SIDE OF THE ROAD by Whispering Jack

The lot of a Melbourne supporter in the twenty-first century is difficult and harsh. We do it tough year by year as the fickle finger of fate finds new afflictions to endure.

Take the year to date and last week's opening round game against St. Kilda in particular. The Saints have lost three or four of their most talented midfielders and the best of what remains of that division in David Armitage is well held by Bulldog recruit Daniel Cross (an underrated performance if there ever was one). Other newcomers to the club's midfield, Bernie Vince and Dom Tyson come into the side and immediately have an impact, Nathan Jones is as prolific as ever and Jack Watts plays what many have describe as his best game ever, mainly on the wing. The last four mentioned players all pick up at least 27 touches and are joined on that number by Jack Grimes. The club wins most of the statistical counts with the exception of free kicks and the all important one on the scoreboard.

So what went wrong?

Well, it doesn't help when you kick 10 consecutive behinds.

And it doesn't help that you've been forced by concussion to bring on your substitute (changing on of your tallest players for the smallest), your key defender suffers a corkie cutting short his role of quelling the opposition's leader and most dangerous player opening up the possibility of a match winning three goal haul and best on ground performance.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the ground ... Melbourne's own forward line ... well, um, let's just say there is no other ground. Just a Southern Hemisphere Bermuda Triangle containing the bulk of Melbourne's forward line and tall ruck strength, the problem is that they're not really out there in person and, like the immortal Clancy in Banjo Patterson's epic poem, we don't know where they are.

No wonder the coach wants to do consign the scoreboard to the Bermuda Triangle where it can familiarise itself with those who would normally contribute to the score. After all, who needs a scoreboard when you can't even trouble the scorer?

So, having lost to a team that rivals them for the title of the worst in the AFL, the Demons face stiffer competition on Sunday at twilight.

I've heard it said that the fans of the West Coast Eagles are already queueing up for grand final tickets for this September in the wake of their big win over the media's love child, the Western Bulldogs whose game was putrid last week but somehow, they managed to attract little criticism for their first round fiasco.

You can let them get carried away as far as I'm concerned. Melbourne is coming, ever so slowly and imperceptibly but it should've done better (read "finished ahead on the scoreboard") despite the missing tall forwards and ruckmen and a solid defender in Col Garland. Unfortunately, there are likely to be more entries into the Triangle this week including the 195cm Jack Watts who is poised to be this week's mystery injury of the week.

Mind you, the Eagles have not been entirely comfortable in their recent history at the home of football. Apart from two wins against the Dees, they have won only once at the MCG since they won the 2006 premiership.

Still, with all that's happened in the past month to Paul Roos' charges, I can't see much light at the end of the Demon tunnel - especially as they're definitely walking in the dark side of the road at the moment.

• Like 2

THE GAME

Melbourne v at West Coast MCG Sunday 30 March, 2014 at 3.20 pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 15 wins West Coast 29 wins

At MCG Melbourne 7 wins West Coast 8 wins

Past five years Melbourne 2 wins West Coast 5 wins

The Coaches Roos 0 wins Simpson 0 wins

MEDIA

TV -

RADIO -

THE BETTING

Melbourne to win - $7.00 West Coast to win - $1.10

THE LAST TIME THEY MET West Coast 27.15.177 defeated Melbourne 13.5.83, Round 3, 2013 at the MCG

A Melbourne team that was demoralised after two thrashings at the hands of Port Adelaide and Essendon in consecutive weeks made a good fist of things in the first half (they trailed by a mere ten points at the main break) but conceded 11.3 in the third term and went down in a screaming heap.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

B: Lynden Dunn, James Frawley, Alex Georgiou

HB: Jack Grimes, Tom McDonald, Dean Terlich

C: Jack Trengove, Dom Tyson, Daniel Cross

HF: Jack Watts, Cam Pedersen, Jimmy Toumpas

F: Jeremy Howe, Jack Fitzpatrick, Rohan Bail

FOLL: Jake Spencer, Nathan Jones, Bernie Vince

I/C: Shannon Byrnes, Matt Jones, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Viv Michie

EM: Sam Blease, Michael Evans, Dean Kent

No change

WEST COAST

B: Jamie Bennell Darren Glass Mitch Brown

HB: Shannon Hurn Eric Mackenzie Xavier Ellis

C: Matt Rosa Matt Priddis Andrew Gaff

HF: Jamie Cripps Josh Kennedy Chris Masten

F: Mark LeCras Jack Darling Nic Naitanui

FOLL: Dean Cox Scott Selwood Luke Shuey

IC: Brad Sheppard, Callum Sinclair, Sharrod Wellingham, Elliot Yeo

EM: Brant Colledge, Josh Hill, Scott Lycett

In: Brad Sheppard

Out: Dom Sheed

SECOND THOUGHTS

The old adage about winners being grinners was no better demonstrated than by St. Kilda in its win against Melbourne.

The Saints and their supporters have spent the greater part of the week strutting around as if they dominated their opposition but truth be told, they should think a second time. Their team wasn't particularly all that flash; they lost the disposal count by 60 and trailed badly in the inside 50 count. The areas where they were big winners was in the free kick count and on a final scoreboard that reflected their greater efficiency in front of goal.

This suggests that it was a game the Demons had for the keeping but we know they failed to capitalise on their more abundant opportunities in front of goal and were hampered by injuries incurred during the game which left them somewhat hobbled. The early subbing off of a concussed Jack Fitzpatrick was compounded by Tom McDonald's corkie which deteriorated as the game wore on leaving his opponent with the luxury of a free run to best on ground honours.

This week, Melbourne takes an unchanged line up back to its home turf against a far more accomplished opponent - the Eagles outfit that demolished the Bulldogs last Sunday.

The combination of Cox and Naitanui with the added tall man power of Callum Sinclair looks far too strong for Jake Spencer who only has Jack Fitzpatrick (if he plays) to back him up although Cam Petersen could fill in if things get desperate (actually, let's not kid ourselves, things already are desperate). After that the Dees must contend with a team which, on paper, demonstrates a superiority in virtually every part of the ground. This applies particularly in respect of the current main weakness - the decimated forward line against a class defence headed by Glass and McKenzie who are set for a field day. That in form Eagles half back line looks particularly ominous.

Ironically, Melbourne is looking best served by its midfield which has undergone a massive boost through the off season recruiting campaign which brought Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross, Dom Tyson and Viv Michie into the ranks. The inclusion of Jack Watts into this part of the ground is, on early indications, proving a winner and then there is the continuing rise of the new skipper to the ranks of the elite.

We shouldn't underestimate the recent elevation of Nathan Jones' game now that he has some better and more experienced players surrounding him in the midfield. His quality 38 possession game shows what the club had in this player over the past two seasons and his ascension into a share of the main leadership role is the icing on top. Jones could never have been expected to win a game off his own boot but there's now a chance with the current set up. It's a pity in the short term that there's so little back up in the ruck and the key forward positions.

The indicators still point to an Eagle victory but if you go by history there is room for second thoughts. I remember an injury depleted Melbourne side travelling to Perth in the late 1990s that was given no hope of winning and turning it on against the odds to produce one of the club's most important victories of that era.

More recently, in the equivalent round four years ago, the Demons came off a smashing in the season opener from Hawthorn to come within inches and a near mark in the MCG goalsquare in the dying seconds, of beating a Magpie team that would go on to win the flag that year.

Many of us believe that Melbourne sunk itself last week because it failed to capitalise on its early ascendency over the Saints through poor kicking. It's a more difficult task but with the right attitude, the team can continue to demonstrate improvement and that's what I'm expecting.

A win might be beyond them but if you believe the predictions of a massive loss of 2013 proportions is on the cards, I suggest you think twice.

West Coast by 13 points.

Edited by Whispering_Jack
Team selection and final preview added
  • Like 1

I have assumed Fitzpatrick , Mc Donald will not be fit , If Watts is injured Pedo might just have to play( Pity Juice was flicked would have got a gig given circumstances) Sorry couldn't resist. I would have had Blease for Toumpas ( easily I cannot how a bloke who can kick brilliant goals in a game and has electrifying pace cannot get a gig)

Jetta for Byrnes and Clisby for Pederson., unless Watts out injured

My side therefore would look like this

B TERLICH FRAWLEY GRIMES

HB DUNNE GEORGIO CLISBY

C M JONES MICHIE TYSON

HF BAIL HOWE BLEASE

F GAWNE WATTS JETTA

R SPENCER JONES VINCE

inter CROSS, VINEY, TRENGOVE SUB KENNEDY- HARRIS

plenty of flexibility and with a bit of X Factor.

Edited by picket fence

Dunn Frawley Gerogiou

Grimes Mcdonald Terlich

Watts Vince Tyson

Blease Fitzpatrick Toumpas

Howe Pederson Gawn

Spencer Trengove Jones

Cross Michie Viney

sub: Kennedy-Harris

• Like 1

Fitz will play surely? The noises coming from Roos indicated he was likely. We need him BADLY for this game. T Mac and Watts likewise.

Have to take what you can get, and the fact it isn't at Subiaco is a small blessing. We went toe to toe with them for a half the last time we met at the G. It was arguably the best football played under Neeld. They have alot more personnel back now but physically I think we can match it with them.

The Eagles showed last week they don't need to have a majority of possession to do the damage, so it's not just about winning the contested ball, it's about using it well inside our forward 50. I'll be watching closely to see what lessons are learned from last week. A forward line needs to be manufactured, and our midfielders need to lower their eyes with their entries. Bombing it in time and again won't work, and the Eagles are lethal on the rebound. This is a test for Roos to see what he can conjure up and the players to see how they can execute.

The effort last week was fine, we just need to minimise the clangers/school boy skill errors by about half. Spencer and Gawn will need to play out of their skins, and we must take advantage of every opportunity that comes our way if we are to remain competitive. We need more cool heads.

The Eagles are top four material this season imo. A win is near impossible, but I'm vaguely hopeful that we can make it a contest.

This is where we find out if the players have learned the art of two way football. The Eagles can be one of the best sides on the rebound and given are efficiency (or lack there of) going forward last week the boys will have to be prepared for some hard running to make contests and slow them up.

I really hope the all three of Tmac, Watts (where the hell did that come from?), and Fitzy can come up. Fitzy was out of the rooms relatively quickly and didn't look too bad so I reckon he'll get up. Tmac got not one but two corkies and one of them hit the same spot as one he copped in the pre-season, so I'm leaning towards him having the week off. And Watts I have no idea because no one has actually said what the hell is wrong with him. I would dearly love for him to get up for this week because he played easily the most complete game I've seen of him last week and it would be great to see if he can back it up.

I don't expect us to win, but I want the Eagles to leave the G feeling like they've been in the wars. Every week is a new test for us.

What the crap is the "soreness" and " Tightness" sometimes I think these blokes believe that they treat everything like an Olympic final - any little twinge, bruise or bump and its cotton wool. Do a bloody pre season to harden up and get your body use to the pain!!! Not .... geeze I'm a little sore after playing a full contact sport, best I spend some more time on the exercise bike , lap pool or masseurs table.

Roos has said we are fragile in the mind , now we are fragile in the body and heart !! eg Joel Selwood wood be playing !!!

Id say drop Byrnes for Kent (if we don't have talls we need a quick agile forward line)

Jones/Viv would be unlucky to get replaced by Blease/Evans (again pace would be good - blease?)

Could have Blease, Kent and Harris up forward.

Edited by Young Dee

in all fairness if gawn went into the game with soreness and ended up doing more damage and was out for weeks the club would be canned for playing him. Hamstring soreness and big men dont go together but geez he would want to get over it soon. Gawn half fit is no good to us

• Like 1

Hamstring soreness. It says so in the article.

Yeah thanks buddy, I read it, hence why I posted the link where I read it...

The point was it's just another build up we've had just to be let down. Starting to wonder what is going on down there.

in all fairness if gawn went into the game with soreness and ended up doing more damage and was out for weeks the club would be canned for playing him. Hamstring soreness and big men dont go together but geez he would want to get over it soon. Gawn half fit is no good to us

I think everyone knows that deep down but no Demon fan likes the 'reality'.

Out Fitness staff would want a kick up the arse for not making sure our only remaining tall option just has a light session to get through to Sunday. Team management !!!!Dawes, Hogan, Gawn, Clark - not hard to se the trend here.

I thought misso was meant to be good.

Shitz I would hate to c a bad fitness guru sorry ELITE fitness guru!!

I c Fitz and macca r in the side.

I would expect they will pull out prior to the match cause they will not come up based on previous experience.

We r going to be the tiny tots out on the field.

God help us.

From the teams chat with Burgan:

"Hopefully Tommy McDonald comes through. Roosy mentioned on Roos Views that Tom and Jack Fitzpatrick would be assessed further on Friday, given there is a training session tomorrow. But hopefully the duo will play."

Yeah, going on past experience/form we won't be seeing them this week. Won't be surprised if we don't see Gawn for a while, either.