A perfect start to the 2014 Season!!

Vagg

There's always been two things that have brought joy to me regarding footy.

One is Melbourne winning.

The other is Collingwood losing.

The 70 point thumping tonight of the Pies was sheer bliss!

Now, let's move on to next week, and a nice win for the Dees...!!

(Then, we can start anticipating the greatest joy of all -- Melbourne winning and Collingwood losing in the SAME match...!!)

• Like 4

There's always been two things that have brought joy to me regarding footy.

One is Melbourne winning.

The 70 point thumping tonight of the Pies was sheer bliss!

Now, let's move on to next week, and a nice win for the Dees...!!

(Then, we can start anticipating the greatest joy of all -- Melbourne winning and Collingwood losing in the SAME match...!!)

Freo looked really good for the last 3 quarters.

Doubt Sylvia will get a game unless there are injuries.

Still can't believe maxwell is a premiership captain he can't play one on one to save himself.

God I hope we win next week.

• Like 2

Freo looked really good for the last 3 quarters.

Doubt Sylvia will get a game unless there are injuries.

Still can't believe maxwell is a premiership captain he can't play one on one to save himself.

God I hope we win next week.

Think I read somewhere today that now Schneider won't play?

Think I read somewhere today that now Schneider won't play?

Good the more established players they have out the better.

I am still very very wary of winning just purely based on past experience.

Geez I thought we would have won last season in rd 1 too and that worked out really well!

Everything is crossed for next sat that's for sure.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree less. I'm not burdened with petty tribal hatreds and I want to see attractive exciting footy.

Freo play the worst game style (for attractive footy) in the AFL. The GF was the worst I've seen. Lyon has coached teams in 4 GF matches for a total of 34 goals.

I hate watching Freo play. I want them to fail but I know they won't. Watching them win against anyone is disappointing.

Disagree again Fan. Lyon's Freo play tough uncompromising footy. Like Roos' Sydney teams. Last night's match showed an attacking tweak which will provide more enjoyment from those that hate soccer like scores.

Last year's grand final was robbed by Freo's yips in front of goal. Full stop.

As for Collingwood, MFC supporters should be concerned. Buckley did what Danners and Co could never do, which was sacrifice today for a future. The decision to cull a name ruckman in Jolly took guts. Instead he put all his faith in an 8-game veteran in Grundy, who will be a superstar.

Collingwood's tackling pressure was fantastic 1st quarter last night. You put Jesse White and Ben Reid up forward and they are a different proposition; bit like us with Dawes Clark & Hogan forward. Buckley has been ultra courageous in getting rid of dead wood that will cost them this year. He will have to wear a bit of flack until then though.

Disagree again Fan. Lyon's Freo play tough uncompromising footy. Like Roos' Sydney teams. Last night's match showed an attacking tweak which will provide more enjoyment from those that hate soccer like scores.

As for Collingwood, MFC supporters should be concerned. Buckley did what Danners and Co could never do, which was sacrifice today for a future. The decision to cull a name ruckman in Jolly took guts. Instead he put all his faith in an 8-game veteran in Grundy, who will be a superstar.

Collingwood's tackling pressure was fantastic 1st quarter last night. You put Jesse White and Ben Reid up forward and they are a different proposition; bit like us with Dawes Clark & Hogan forward. Buckley has been ultra courageous in getting rid of dead wood that will cost them this year. He will have to wear a bit of flack until then though.

its going to be interesting because for mine he's not the answer. Don't forget the Pies were beaten by Port in the finals. But he's a favourite son, fans are turning on him(not new for any club) but he has been there for years including his years as Micks understudy. How good would be a QB win be?

I think Lyon like Roos is a fantastic coach, it's not his job to provide attractive footy it's his job to win. But I hate the style. I hate rolling scrums. I like high marking particularly in contested situations, I like one on one contests. I love watching the lines being broken with fast breaks. The Sydney Roos and the Freo Lyon play footy that robs the game of some of it's best aspects. Some people like the rolling scrums, the incessant stoppages and the possession game. I don't but that's just me.

Pressure is good, contests are good but I just reckon footy and Lyon in particular have taken it too far. Roos may for us but when I watch us play I'm not interested in style, just results. When I watch others play I look for features I like. I like watching Essendon, NM, Richmond, PA and Geelong play. You see the best aspects of our game. I think a Buckley led Collingwood is moving more to that style and seeing Freo pants them yesterday was both disappointing and boring.

The Shockers were good to watch last night. Skillfull and relentless after withstanding full pressure from the filth in first quarter.

It was marvellous to see Eddie's Mob look so bog ordinary

I love watching Daniel Pierce and Stephen hill run and hit targets with pin point precision! great to watch, Collingwood don't look top 8 material to me

• Like 1

Barry -- obviously not referring to another Viney concussion and more importantly Mitch Clark's "indefinite leave".

So what is it?

Four games down and not a Victorian team in sight. The three Victorian teams to go down in a screaming heap are all traditional Victorian clubs that the AFL wants to be successful.

Wayne Carey has even compared Collingwood's effort with Melbourne 2013. Even at this early stage neither they nor Carlton look final eight prospects. Essendon might struggle if distracted by the drugs scandal.

Looks like the AFL is going to rely on us to fly the AFL flag in this city ... well OK. There's Hawthorn as well but who else?

Any weekend in which Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton all lose is a pretty decent weekend.

Something the AFL has to take notice of, though, is the awful crowds. Only 37,500 for the season opener featuring Collingwood. AFL expected 42,000, Collingwood expected 45,000. Carlton v Port drew only 27,000. Those are very small numbers. I'd guess one reason for the lack of attendance is the (too) early start to the year. Dump this half-baked split round for Round 1 and open the season with a bang. The AFL also needs to work out how to satisfy both the AFLPA with this extra week off and Cricket Victoria - we all want to see the season start at the MCG, but either the extra week or the end of the cricket season needs to move to get that.

Couldn't agree less. I'm not burdened with petty tribal hatreds and I want to see attractive exciting footy.

Freo play the worst game style (for attractive footy) in the AFL. The GF was the worst I've seen. Lyon has coached teams in 4 GF matches for a total of 34 goals.

I hate watching Freo play. I want them to fail but I know they won't. Watching them win against anyone is disappointing.

This suggests to me you don't watch a lot of Fremantle, and you just go off what the media/people think about Ross Lyon teams.

Yes, Fremantle are very good at defence. But they are not a boring football side. They have flair and attack (Hill, Fyfe, Walters, Pavlich) and they have improved their forward structure and movement of the ball over the off-season.

Let's not forget, as many seem to do, that in the GF they had more scoring shots than Hawthorn did. That doesn't say a huge amount, but it does put paid to the theory that the Dockers simply don't generate enough attack.

Fremantle plays high-quality pressure football which most teams can't deal with. If Melbourne could do what they could do, we'd be a very happy bunch on here.

• Like 1

i dont even mind the Pies anymore. Theres no real reason to hate them or any other team not waring red and black

I only hate Essendon, cos they are filthy drug cheats

Edited by hogans_heroes

Collingwood has been on the slide for a while now, reckon its gonna slide a bit further this year. You know how long the pie army will put up with that, Buckley on shaky ground.

• 2 months later...

Not many experts and non-experts were bullish about Collingwood after Fremantle pumped them round 1....bar one or two.

Penny has finally dropped...even around here. They are super young and super talented; which makes our effort on QB2014 a fair one.