Demons season opener v Saints

dee-luded

what is his prediction for Saturday night ?

Well he is a Dees supporter but he punts for his pocket not from his heart. Further,he has none of the various vices of his father and thus is rich. I will find out his prediction but I'm not sure he'll punt. Many knock the younger generation but the smart ones are far smarter than their parents. Forgive my digression.

• Like 1

whats everyone here thinking about JKH?

will he play round 1?

I reckon he will, impressive pre season form, Roos admitted he reckons he is AFL ready, and he brings us another multiple goal scoring option which is extremely important for us going into this game.

I reckon he will, impressive pre season form, Roos admitted he reckons he is AFL ready, and he brings us another multiple goal scoring option which is extremely important for us going into this game.

Cannot see him replacing Byrnes

• Like 3

I know we don't have the tall forwards we would like, but pederson, fitz and howe should be able replacements, and if we have a full back line bar garland, i think that should be enough to handle saints forward line. and on paper, our mids list looks better than theres.

I think we should be able to win this game. basically theres probably not a weaker team in the league than what saints will display on saturday night, if we don't… we are in trouble

I can see him easily replacing Byrnes, I don't rate Byrnes overly high tbh.

You don't know the background hh666.

That is exactly the point I think he just to the left of crappy.

If our forward set up and the personal involved in our forward line is our greatest worry leading into this match, we could break it down this way ...

The selected line-up released on Thursday night may or may not give us any indication as to how our forward line will line-up on the night.

Even though our performance in our practice game against the Hawks wasn't up to par, where our players played in that match and for how long could be a real pointer. We know that Watts had a bit of game time in the forward line and Pedersen spent a fair bit of time in our backline (a whole half?)

Howe will almost certainly line-up in the forward line and with Gawn possibly being ruled out, (?) Fitzy will most probably play a role in the forward line as well (and used as the 2nd ruck to back up Spencer) Pedersen will probably play forward but he's no absolute certainty. Trengove might start there and Bail is a chance as well.

The match committee might also have other options for our forward line including using players like Watts, Toumpas and maybe even Dunn. Those aforementioned 3 are all accurate with their kicking. Roos may decide to rotate players through our forward line.

The other option is that we might go with a speedy forward line - pace being the major focus rather than marking power (which we lack anyway with Clark, Hogan and Dawes being ruled out)

Roos, above all else, will want to win this round 1 encounter. The difference between a loss and a win for both the playing group and the supporters is quite pronounced.

Many fans, who are locked on to our club, won't be greatly affected if we lose the match but it's the lapsed members and those members who are no longer attending games that are all important here. The players need to attain the confidence gained from winning.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Apologies if already posted but Fisher is now most likely out of the Saints line up due to back stiffness.

Even without a couple of key forwards I'm confident we will dish out a flogging this weekend.

Apologies if already posted but Fisher is now most likely out of the Saints line up due to back stiffness.

Even without a couple of key forwards I'm confident we will dish out a flogging this weekend.

Oh gee. If him not playing makes them 'worse', then they really must not be very good. Very overrated

You are joking, right?

Not at all. If we were back in 2008, yes, he was quite the player. But he has declined significantly in recent years, and his value has became overstated. Though looking at their key defender stocks, I can see why St Kilda holds him in such esteem.

Worst back 6 in the league

If Roos plays JKH I reckon it will be as sub

I understand why he protects first-year players early on; but it would be downright silly to give Byrnes a game over JKH first-up. Kennedy-Harris is already a much better player; plus he exhibits the pace and zip we so desperately lack

I understand why he protects first-year players early on; but it would be downright silly to give Byrnes a game over JKH first-up. Kennedy-Harris is already a much better player; plus he exhibits the pace and zip we so desperately lack

Exactly why he will in opinion be used as sub, bring him on for what you have highlighted in the last quarter and a bit. Although I am not on match committee so I may be completely wrong

I take it you are basing your opinion on the 1 game at Richmond, let's put another young guy on a pedestal ready to knock him off

I watched JKH as a junior and was very pleased when we signed him, in fact went as far as complimenting Jason Taylor in person and saying we made the better choice instead of Dayle Garlett, but I don't want to see another young player buried under the weight of expectation, happened too often in the past, in Roos I trust whatever decision he makes

Exactly why he will in opinion be used as sub, bring him on for what you have highlighted in the last quarter and a bit. Although I am not on match committee so I may be completely wrong

I take it you are basing your opinion on the 1 game at Richmond, let's put another young guy on a pedestal ready to knock him off

I watched JKH as a junior and was very pleased when we signed him, in fact went as far as complimenting Jason Taylor in person and saying we made the better choice instead of Dayle Garlett, but I don't want to see another young player buried under the weight of expectation, happened too often in the past, in Roos I trust whatever decision he makes

I've formulated that opinion after watching him at multiple training sessions, the NAB game and the intraclub.

In regards to the Byrnes comparison I made - he (JKH) makes better decisions in traffic, is cleaner and is much faster. Byrnes in his prime was never an impact player. He was solid, yes; but since he's been at the club, he has not shown me, or many other supporters any worth whatsoever. Jay comes across as a very mature young bloke, hence why he co-captained Oakleigh in the TAC cup. He is ready to go as far as I'm concerned.

One last point - he has the capacity to be a very positive marketing tool to aim toward the young members we desperately need - playing Byrnes and keeping JKH at Casey will not benefit us at all.