NAB Challenge 2 - Melbourne v Geelong

Whispering_Jack

We did have the ball 94 more times than they did though. It will be a lot easier to improve on our inside 50 delivery knowing that our team is capable of actually having the ball in possession. That's why I would be inclined not to worry too much about inside 50s as I might have been last year - we're winning the ball, we're just not using it well enough yet.

I felt as though the players still aren't quite going off their instincts yet. I think it will take time to get the balance between doing the disciplined game plan things and the instinctive attacking footy right.

• Like 7

I would have thought most supporters would be exceedingly pleased that Roos' new game plan is producing some effective results so quickly. It's at the embryonic stages, but there's clear cut-through, which augurs well for the short to medium term.

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 1

I would have thought most supporters would be exceedingly pleased that Roos' new game plan is producing some effective results so quickly. It's at the embryonic stages, but there's clear cut-through, which augurs well for the short to medium term.

Absolutely. It's great to be able to watch the replay without my head in my hands & a knot in my stomach.

It's been a masssive overhaul. That they've been able to transform their playing style so quickly is a credit to not only Roos but the players as well

Looking forward to the season. Last year I dreaded footy, to say nothing of the Monday morning post mortems

• Like 2

I think most are pleased - if they know what they are looking at - but people tend to readjust their expectations very quickly once something they want has been achieved.

As we have a discernible gameplan that the players have bought into, posters have moved to running lines through players thy think can't play this style or dwelling on why certain players are struggling in their first two games in the system.

• Like 2

Daniel Cross said after the game that "we're probably following the game plan too closely".

It's an interesting observation, but makes sense. As the players become more accustomed to the plan, their individual roles and each other, some of their natural flair and instincts will reappear. It's why I love JKH. He naturally knows what to do and the time to do it.

• Like 10

Daniel Cross said after the game that "we're probably following the game plan too closely".

It's an interesting observation, but makes sense. As the players become more accustomed to the plan, their individual roles and each other, some of their natural flair and instincts will reappear. It's why I love JKH. He naturally knows what to do and the time to do it.

That's a really encouraging quote, and one I'll bet Roos has fed them directly. It's part of what separates him from the Mark Neelds of the world; an ability to recognise when theory is obstructing practice.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 6

Yep. You see them go backwards or sideways when there is a clear easy target up the field and you pull you hair out. Or the extra 2 handballs back and across when the player was already out in space. Plenty of work to go until it's the right mix of retaining possession and attacking.

Okay, I've just finished watching the replay, and agree with most on here: the effort was great, when we got the transitions right we looked fantastic, and turnovers brought us undone.

But am I losing my mind, or was Shannon Byrnes actually pretty good? He had 19 disposals playing as a forward pocket/forward flank, he was crucial in the build-up to several scoring opportunities, and I saw a lot of him working hard to move into space and offer an option for the kicker downfield. But Demonlanders have decided he was dreadful and his career's over … what am I missing?

• Like 4

Okay, I've just finished watching the replay, and agree with most on here: the effort was great, when we got the transitions right we looked fantastic, and turnovers brought us undone.

But am I losing my mind, or was Shannon Byrnes actually pretty good? He had 19 disposals playing as a forward pocket/forward flank, he was crucial in the build-up to several scoring opportunities, and I saw a lot of him working hard to move into space and offer an option for the kicker downfield. But Demonlanders have decided he was dreadful and his career's over … what am I missing?

I have a bias against Byrnes. When he gets the ball, or is about to, I cringe a little. My point ? You may well be right and my objectivity is probably missing when it comes to Byrnes. He could have 10 great possessions, but I tend to remember the horrible one.

I'll take your word on it regarding his game. But I still don't see him anywhere near a best 22.

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 1

It's on the AFL site under videos.

Just watching the second quarter and one thing that bothers me is that twice now Grimes has gone for a defensive mark at his chest height and had a Geelong forward take it before him by jumping and taking the ball above their head. He needs to attack that ball properly and punch it rather than trying to take the mark every time.

Also, Watts just picked Varcoe's pocket beautifully to stop an attack.

still couldn't find it ralph

plenty of highlight clips but no full replay

am i missing something?

am i missing something?

The fixtures icon with the results at the top. Watch replay is on the bottom of the icon click on that and it comes up

I get sick every time a player is criticised for a practise game in FEBRUARY

Fair dinkem These games are to sort out a few things ....go though the list and give players a chance.....Some will excel some will have bad games, but they get the chance to play together with a new game plan.

saying a player will never play for the red and blue again is just pathetic and unrealistic

Can't wait for when some of our Feb champs have an off day......Posters will be calling for blood and their instant sacking or be called a spud(hate that word) and we should never have drafted/traded him when we should have got.....(insert name here)

the real tests start now, 3 weeks to go... full dress rehearsal against the Hawks. this will show a more accurate scale of things.

am i missing something?

DC go to the AFL web site......Where the fixtures are there will be a "Watch full replay" under the fixture.....Good quality....

The fixtures icon with the results at the top. Watch replay is on the bottom of the icon click on that and it comes up

thanks psd. that did the trick

you'd think they would cross reference it under "video".....ah well it is telstra after all

I have a bias against Byrnes. When he gets the ball, or is about to, I cringe a little. My point ? You may well be right and my objectivity is probably missing when it comes to Byrnes. He could have 10 great possessions, but I tend to remember the horrible one.

I'll take your word on it regarding his game. But I still don't see him anywhere near a best 22.

Hey, at least you're honest about your bias. That puts you well ahead of most on here, myself included. ;-)

• Like 1

DC go to the AFL web site......Where the fixtures are there will be a "Watch full replay" under the fixture.....Good quality....

yeah the quality was good but that is one flakey player

reckon i missed half of the game.......can't position the player (except on smart icons), stops, jumps etc

and i've got a fast broadband connection and fast processor

We have a serious gap with our small forward roles. I would be putting JKH and Byrnes ahead of other choices at this time due to them either not doing enough (Blease), skills being below standard (Bail) or just no game time (Kent, Tapscott). Byrnes knows how to find the ball and is smart but is prone to one or two standout clangers a game. JKH excluded he is the best of a bad bunch at present. The alternate option is whether Viney plays that role due to his limited game time and our influx of midfielders over the summer.

• Like 1

It was watts first game of the year.

Give him a break u said yourself he improved as the game went on.

I am very sick of the constant criticism of Watts. This is his first REAL coach.

On the other side of the coin why should we look at any player's performance with anything but honesty? Why should he or any other player be immune from having his game honestly appraised by spectators, as well as the game of the whole team.

There is a happy medium here and it starts and begins with being respectful but also being frank and honest.

There will always be the the "Watts is a spud","Watts will be a star" brigade. They will continue to be added to my ignore list. Some are capable of objectivity and for this reason i still read and post.

Edited by jabberwocky

yeah the quality was good but that is one flakey player

reckon i missed half of the game.......can't position the player (except on smart icons), stops, jumps etc

and i've got a fast broadband connection and fast processor

The SMART replay on the AFL site is good for looking at golas, frees, points etc however it terrible otherwise. The worst part is that when on full screen it still is cropped in a red box. Super annoying.

Replays of each quarter can be found here: http://bigpondvideo.com/Horse_Racing. Go to AFL strip. Full screen and proper functionality. Also all the other clips, including preesers and some specific highlights. One video is funny - its basically a blooper vid of a bunch of our turnovers. Strange but jeez there are some doozys.

Last year Big Pond only had the NAB games up, not he home and away. Meaning you could only watch full replays on the SMARt replay player. I'm hoping that's not the case this year.

That's a really encouraging quote, and one I'll bet Roos has fed them directly. It's part of what separates him from the Mark Neelds of the world; an ability to recognise when theory is obstructing practice.

We are playing a game that avoids contested marking situations but I think as time goes on this will be tempered. As players become more tuned to the abilities of the big blokes they will start to kick a few long ones for them to grab.

As you say the Roos plan will be a bit more dynamic and dependent upon development stages, personnel and the tempo required at certain times in the game.

Edited by jabberwocky

The SMART replay on the AFL site is good for looking at golas, frees, points etc however it terrible otherwise. The worst part is that when on full screen it still is cropped in a red box. Super annoying.

Replays of each quarter can be found here: http://bigpondvideo.com/Horse_Racing. Go to AFL strip. Full screen and proper functionality. Also all the other clips, including preesers and some specific highlights. One video is funny - its basically a blooper vid of a bunch of our turnovers. Strange but jeez there are some doozys.

Last year Big Pond only had the NAB games up, not he home and away. Meaning you could only watch full replays on the SMARt replay player. I'm hoping that's not the case this year.

thanks binman....much better