• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2014 NAB Challenge

Whispering_Jack

Mainly I'm impressed that he managed to rebuild to a capable level quickly. He took over a 7.5 win team and went 11 wins, 10 wins, 14 wins then 10 wins (that should've been more) all whilst improving the age profile of the list most years. He's obviously reaching critical years now as in a few years there won't be Harvey, Petrie, Wells, Dal Santo and Firrito so it's not like they are Geelong of 07 having had success and with years to come based on the list but at the same time they are unlikely to fall in a heap at anytime soon.

They were at a good level already under Laidley just had a bad year in 2009 so I'm not so impressed. 2008 12 wins 2007 15 wins.

Last night's game simply reinforced what we've known for a long time - the value of star players . Patrick Dangerfield had a relatively quiet night but in a brief patch of 5 minutes he broke the game open completely.

If only we could develop a true champion from the 44 we have on our list?

Last night's game simply reinforced what we've known for a long time - the value of star players . Patrick Dangerfield had a relatively quiet night but in a brief patch of 5 minutes he broke the game open completely.

I think it's Jeremy howe, playing on a 4th defender, he is going to be capable of kicking multiple goals in not very long

• Like 2

I know it's early days yet, but if JKH can consistently put in efforts like he did in the last quarter against Richmond, there is no reason why he cannot be that player. It will be interesting to see how he goes against Geelong this Friday (if he is named).

I think it's Jeremy howe, playing on a 4th defender, he is going to be capable of kicking multiple goals in not very long

Ok, this is something I have said before - if Howe is such a star, how long do you think he will have the 4th defender playing on him?

Ok, this is something I have said before - if Howe is such a star, how long do you think he will have the 4th defender playing on him?

Probably not long, but if him dragging a defender of Clark, Dawes or Hogan and them playing on a small running defender is the result i am extremely happy with that.

Too one dimensional, could be a very good option up forward but definitely not "star" material.

depends on your definition of star, i certainly think Jeremy howe has the ability to break a game open and win us a close game by kicking 3-4 goals in a big quarter, i think Dom Tyson will be our next genuine star, little bit of scotty west about him in my opinion

• Like 1

Will be fascinating to see how the Roos coached Demons hold up against a seasoned campaigner in the handbags.

Players must learn to trust all team mates.

I will be very happy if that happens quickly wyl

But I am not expecting too much in the next few months.

Slowly but surely will make me happy

I will be very happy if that happens quickly wyl

But I am not expecting too much in the next few months.

Slowly but surely will make me happy

No, I want performance now.

The players hated Neeld…..their performance may have been a direct correlation to his presence.

Okay, they love Roos….let's see!

No, I want performance now.

The players hated Neeld…..their performance may have been a direct correlation to his presence.

Okay, they love Roos….let's see!

You are completed discounting "ability" jr.

We still have a number of NGE's that has not changed.

You are completed discounting "ability" jr.

We still have a number of NGE's that has not changed.

There's certainly a few more NGE's on our list than most but that doesn't concern me too much because we should keep the numbers down to a minimum in the team each week. I think it will be the top end of our list where we still have problems.

- We don't have one of the superstar top 15 mids of the comp as I think Jones' best is still below the best level of a real star.

- We don't have a reliable gun big forward (although we could have 3 if Clark, Dawes and Hogan get it together).

- We don't have a dangerous small forward (we're all pumping up JKH but he's not going to be Betts/Garlett/Walters/Wingard/Motlop/Bruest in his first year)

- We don't have the complete AA level half back flanker (although we aren't alone there)

- We are yet to develop a consistent deep level of talent across the midfield. We need the 4 we brought in (Vince, Cross, Tyson, Michie) plus rejuvenated Trengove and Watts plus time in Salem, Viney and Toumpas plus continued improvement in Matt Jones, Evans and McKenzie on top of Nath Jones that only makes 13 mids. Considering you need at least 10 playing each week we really don't have a lot of room for guys to be under performing.

A lot of those can be fixed over time with good development we have the pieces on paper. But I don't see any coach coming in with the list we've assembled (which definitely is a lot more ready in the midfield) could produce a Port like season.

• Like 1

Sorry od…..I'm seduced again by renewed hope.

Then I forgot.

Nothing wrong with that after the last three years jr

I cling to it like a giant leech But I know we still have a large number of NGE's and that makes me acknowledge the true situation.

There's certainly a few more NGE's on our list than most but that doesn't concern me too much because we should keep the numbers down to a minimum in the team each week. I think it will be the top end of our list where we still have problems.

- We don't have one of the superstar top 15 mids of the comp as I think Jones' best is still below the best level of a real star.

- We don't have a reliable gun big forward (although we could have 3 if Clark, Dawes and Hogan get it together).

- We don't have a dangerous small forward (we're all pumping up JKH but he's not going to be Betts/Garlett/Walters/Wingard/Motlop/Bruest in his first year)

- We don't have the complete AA level half back flanker (although we aren't alone there)

- We are yet to develop a consistent deep level of talent across the midfield. We need the 4 we brought in (Vince, Cross, Tyson, Michie) plus rejuvenated Trengove and Watts plus time in Salem, Viney and Toumpas plus continued improvement in Matt Jones, Evans and McKenzie on top of Nath Jones that only makes 13 mids. Considering you need at least 10 playing each week we really don't have a lot of room for guys to be under performing.

A lot of those can be fixed over time with good development we have the pieces on paper. But I don't see any coach coming in with the list we've assembled (which definitely is a lot more ready in the midfield) could produce a Port like season.

Salient points….but I still stand firm that Nate Jones is a top end midfielder.

I agree with all of the above points, but i also feel we are well on the way to adressing all of them too, don't have a superstar, but we have players with superstar potential in the midfield and George stone and Paul Roos guiding them and we have Jesse Hogan

don't have a jarryd roughead yet, but we have Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Howe who are all capable of kicking multiple goals and Hogan and Clark are capable of being superstars imo

dangerous small forward, Kent, Barry,Blease and Kennedy- Harris may develop into that role

half back i think jack Grimes will relish being back there

and our midfield of Jack Trengove, Jack Viney, Dom Tyson, Matt Jones, Nathan Jones, Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross, Viv Michie, Jack Watts, Jimmy Toumpas, Christian Salem, Jordie Mckenzie suddenly looks AFL standard

• Like 1

With the certain inclusions of Vince, Tyson, Cross and possibly Michie, can anyone forsee Viney and/or Toumpas taking a step back and playing for Casey throughout out the year?

Me

I hope the others are playing well enough to let them learn the Game at lower level.

With the certain inclusions of Vince, Tyson, Cross and possibly Michie, can anyone forsee Viney and/or Toumpas taking a step back and playing for Casey throughout out the year?

I think both are good enough to play in the firsts but i reckon Roosy will want them to earn the spot, won't be gifting games to the younger boys if Michie, Bail and Matt Jones are playing well

Me

I hope the others are playing well enough to let them learn the Game at lower level.

Not Jack Viney. He served it up to Freo last year when we were getting monstered by 100 points. That kid doesn't need VFL. What he does need is protecting his body by plenty of time forward or on a wing and maybe still a week off or some part in the subs (on or off) at some stage.

Toumpas might need VFL it's just a matter of how well he's tracking in the AFL. He looks set to play high half forward a lot under Roos probably with only brief stints in the midfield. If he's playing well enough and improving I don't see any need for him to go back to Casey. But at the same time if Kent, Blease and Salem are dominating Casey and can play the same role in the team it might be best to share the games.

• Like 2