The 2014 NAB Challenge

Whispering_Jack

Clarkson is showing what makes him a great coach. He has changed the set up so that it can live and thrive without Buddy Franklin and so far, they don't even appear to have missed a single beat.

On the other hand, North wouldn't be worried yet about he season ahead but I don't think the hype about them challenging for top four is warranted. In fact, I'd like to see us knock them off this season - they've been our hoodoo team for way too long.

Clarkson is showing what makes him a great coach. He has changed the set up so that it can live and thrive without Buddy Franklin and so far, they don't even appear to have missed a single beat.

On the other hand, North wouldn't be worried yet about he season ahead but I don't think the hype about them challenging for top four is warranted. In fact, I'd like to see us knock them off this season - they've been our hoodoo team for way too long.

Flat track bullies North, when everything is going their way they look great, when it's not it goes to the other extreme

• Like 1

I'll store this and send it back to you at season 's end OD. I think (from memory) you have been predicting between 12 and 16 for us this year. I bet I am closer than you!

I will be delighted to be have you say "I told you so" Dees2014.

After the Hawks comprehensive drummings of both Brisbane and the Roos, our performance against them in the upcoming practice match will be a true litmus test as to where we are at going into the season proper.

• Like 2

It would make my weekend if North could do a job on that most arrogant of clubs Carlton and take its pompous coach down a couple of pegs today.

I've the feeling North are ready to climb into the finals, but at who's expence?

2013 AFL Ladder - sliders - climbers

1 Hawthorn

2 Geelong

3 Fremantle

4 Sydney

5 Richmond

6 Collingwood

7 Port Adelaide

8 Carlton

-----------------------

9 Essendon

10 NorthMelbourne

11 Adelaide

12 Brisbane

13 West Coast

14 Gold Coast

15 Western Bulldogs

16 St. Kilda

17 Melbourne

18 GreaterWesternSydney

Tiges touching up Pies big time.

How good was our first hit out??

Thoughts?

Btw, North are real pretenders - their coach has got the board stooged. He's a spud.

Our first hit out was reasonable but the Tigers were asleep and we just got passed them. Although the longer the match went the better we seemed to get. I think a lot of that might have been confidence and coming to terms with the fact we were winning and should keep playing well. Today Collingwood are asleep and the Tigers up and firing in terms of intensity and whilst the game got close in the 3rd quarter they kicked away. You could tell Richmond weren't giving much against us because Anthony Miles was there best player. Today Cotchin, Deledio and Martin stood up.

Biggest concern for Richmond is key defense. Rance has good days and bad, Grimes is injured, Astbury i'm not convinced on and Chaplin is really a third tall.

North. Let's wait and see a little while. Personally I reckon their young talent is good not great and their experienced talent is missing a bit as well. Wells, Petrie, McMahon, Harvey and even Nicky Dal, there's a front runner aspect to that. Scott is empowers young players to go out and play well and have a go. Not sure he's a great tactician though. In trying to change tactics over the preseason for more defense they might end up shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 2

Tiges touching up Pies big time.

How good was our first hit out??

Thoughts?

Btw, North are real pretenders - their coach has got the board stooged. He's a spud.

I'm not all that enthused by either of them.

I suspect that the pies are on a late prep for the season, to last the distance.

but I think both of them will have Plenty of deficiencies this year.

North are getting hungry I think.

If Ben Reid plays forward (and it will be hard not to leave him there considering how dangerous he is). Collingwood's backline is as follows

Talls: Keeffe, Brown, Frost

Mediums: Maxwell, Goldsack, Lumumber

Smalls: Seedsman, Sinclair, Armstrong, Toovey (from a knee reco), Marty Clarke and possibly Marley Williams if he's not in prison.

Plus some kids.

Now those talls aren't bad and the mediums are serviceable but that group isn't winning a premiership as a defense in 2014.

Like most areas of the ground they do have a lot of talent available eventually and in a couple of years could have a really talented group considering they've got high draft pick Scharenberg and some other youngsters I rate in Broomhead and Langdon but that's the challenge for the Pies. The most cohesive and maybe best backline in the league in 2010/2011 has been deconstructed with the trading of Shaw and moving Reid forward.

• Like 1

Our first hit out was reasonable but the Tigers were asleep and we just got passed them. Although the longer the match went the better we seemed to get. I think a lot of that might have been confidence and coming to terms with the fact we were winning and should keep playing well. Today Collingwood are asleep and the Tigers up and firing in terms of intensity and whilst the game got close in the 3rd quarter they kicked away. You could tell Richmond weren't giving much against us because Anthony Miles was there best player. Today Cotchin, Deledio and Martin stood up.

Biggest concern for Richmond is key defense. Rance has good days and bad, Grimes is injured, Astbury i'm not convinced on and Chaplin is really a third tall.

North. Let's wait and see a little while. Personally I reckon their young talent is good not great and their experienced talent is missing a bit as well. Wells, Petrie, McMahon, Harvey and even Nicky Dal, there's a front runner aspect to that. Scott is empowers young players to go out and play well and have a go. Not sure he's a great tactician though. In trying to change tactics over the preseason for more defense they might end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Agree. I think North should be pushing up there, but Scott gets aggressive with the press and the AFL and this, somehow, equates to 'good coach.' They've had some decent picks. but a few have failed to come on.

Having said that, the Hawks looked sensational. How good is their short kicking? Unbelievable.

if we beat Richmond and Richmond beat the pies does that mean we are better than Collingwood? hahahaha

footy maths 101

What more proof that we're better than Collingwood do you need than the unofficial NAB Challenge ladder*?

Hawthorn 2 - - 272 76 357.9 8

West Coast 1 - - 148 64 231.3 4

Adelaide 1 - - 119 59 201.7 4

Sydney 1 - - 115 75 153.3 4

Western Bulldogs 1 - - 67 56 119.6 4

Richmond 1 1 208 174 119.5 4

Melbourne 1 - - 98 84 116.7 4

Carlton 1 - - 100 93 107.5 4

Geelong 1 - - 104 102 102.0 4

Gold Coast 1 - - 90 89 101.1 4

Essendon - 1 - 89 90 98.9 0

St. Kilda - 1 - 56 67 83.6 0

Collingwood - 2 -178 228 78.1 0

North Melbourne - 2 - 146 218 67.0 0

GWS Giants - 1 - 75 115 65.2 0

Port Adelaide - 1 - 59 119 49.6 0

Fremantle - 1 - 64 148 43.2 0

Brisbane - 1 - 23 154 14.9 0

* exclusive to Demonland

Jake King didn't help his cause one bit today. After the game he was seen associating with a few Collingwood players and I believe Demetriou's office issued a warning that he should cease the practice forthwith.

• Like 3

I've the feeling North are ready to climb into the finals, but at who's expence?

2013 AFL Ladder - sliders - climbers

1 Hawthorn

2 Geelong

3 Fremantle

4 Sydney

5 Richmond

6 Collingwood

7 Port Adelaide

8 Carlton

-----------------------

9 Essendon

10 NorthMelbourne

11 Adelaide

12 Brisbane

13 West Coast

14 Gold Coast

15 Western Bulldogs

16 St. Kilda

17 Melbourne

18 GreaterWesternSydney

The experts don't see much change to the top 4 but I wouldn't be so sure. Hawthorn look to be on their way again.

Sydney have injury problems but should get there.

Geelong will not make top 4 and will be lucky to stay in the 8. They've lost too many champions, their older champs still playing are showing signs of not much left in the tank and the talent coming through whilst good is not that good. Plus just heard they've lost Vardy for the season, Hawkins goes down and they will wish they kept Pods.

Not convinced with Freo, could have a case of the blues after missing last year. Probably be there a bouts but wouldn't be surprised if they slide back a bit this year.

Essendon if they don't lose players to drug charges are probably going to give it a shake hate to say.

The rest is a raffle from probably 2 down to 15.

Jake King didn't help his cause one bit today. After the game he was seen associating with a few Collingwood players and I believe Demetriou's office issued a warning that he should cease the practice forthwith.

:rolleyes:

I wonder hhow serious Gold Coast are about winning today's game against Brisbane when they rest Gary Ablett, Michael Rischitelli, Jaeger O’Meara, Trent McKenzie and David Swallow?

• Like 1

Now, here's an odd fact about the current unofficial NAB Challenge ladder*. The bottom four and five of the bottom six teams ATM come from outside of Victoria. My conclusion is that some of these foreigners don't treat the NAB Challenge with the respect it deserves!

The problem with my theory is that three of the top four also come from out of the state but I'm sure there's a reason for that too.

Adelaide 1 - - 119 59 201.7 4

Carlton 1 - - 100 93 107.5 4

Gold Coast 1 1 - 149 195 75.4 4

Brisbane 1 1 - 129 213 60.6 4

* exclusive to Demonland

Edited by Whispering_Jack
Ladder adjusted

Flat track bullies North, when everything is going their way they look great, when it's not it goes to the other extreme

What do you expect from a club that delisted J. Gysberts?

• Like 3

Skills not great again tonight but Adelaide ran all over Carlton in the final quarter. The Blues were badly beaten at the stoppages and their disposal was very ordinary. Here's the unofficial NAB Challenge ladder after tonight's game -

Adelaide 2 - - 218 120 181.7 8

Carlton 1 1 - 161 192 83.8 4

Gold Coast 1 1 - 149 195 75.4 4

Brisbane 1 1 - 129 213 60.6 4

* exclusive to Demonland

Agree. I think North should be pushing up there, but Scott gets aggressive with the press and the AFL and this, somehow, equates to 'good coach.' They've had some decent picks. but a few have failed to come on.

Having said that, the Hawks looked sensational. How good is their short kicking? Unbelievable.

I don't know what to make of the media. It seems to me some successful coaches have amazing records despite horrible relationships with the media but they usually are the ones who show disdain more than the ones who get so hung up with the press. I'm thinking Bill Belichick or some of the soccer coaches. Brad could learn a lot from his own brother Chris who is usually quite cool and calm and likes a joke but when it's business and he's ticked off he gives them some clever quick witted jabs to put them in their place. Brad on the other hand gets angry and sulks.

Of course they've had their ups and downs with young players. But under Brad Scott North have had more winners than losers when it comes to draft picks.

He's developed Thompson, Atley, Mullett, McMillan down back, Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, Gibson into above average mids, Goldstein in the ruck and Black, Leigh Adams and Lindsay Thomas up forward I'd say they are the big successes of his player development. His question marks are Tarrant, Daw, Harper, Wright, Jacobs and McKenzie. They are classic 'next level' guys. Ie if they also kick on and make it they have the skills to take you up a step. The other thing Scott has done is taken a group of mature players that I'd say were both questionable in terms of talent and leadership and made them successful. I think at any one time North supporters would've had doubts about Petrie, Wells, Hansen, Grima and Swallow but they've all played good footy under Scott.

Mainly I'm impressed that he managed to rebuild to a capable level quickly. He took over a 7.5 win team and went 11 wins, 10 wins, 14 wins then 10 wins (that should've been more) all whilst improving the age profile of the list most years. He's obviously reaching critical years now as in a few years there won't be Harvey, Petrie, Wells, Dal Santo and Firrito so it's not like they are Geelong of 07 having had success and with years to come based on the list but at the same time they are unlikely to fall in a heap at anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a top 4 finish at some stage but ultimately fell pretty short of a flag in the next few years and they became the next team for Ross Lyon (or even a famous old boy of the club in John Longmire having transitioned the swans) to take over as a finisher type coach.

Edited by the master