New coach Paul Roos shocked by Demons' scars

Undeeterred

Good.

The content should have been the same.

Actions.

I don't think anyone is being sycophantic. In fact that worries me a little as that is what we did early in the piece with Neeld and Bailey. We couldn't see their flaws as we were to busy talking them up.

The true test of who has been drinking the kool aid will come if things go completely pear shaped and the same characters are still pushing the benefits of the Roos regime. A bit like those who still pump up the Neeld era to this day.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I have let go - that's the difference between you and me.

You can remain sycophantic and nod your head and say 'right on….!'

All needed to be held accountable. We get it. Cut it. Sever. Finish. Do.

l have been called a few things mate, but a sycophant is not one of them. I'm not the one who wants to hear nothing lines about working on skills and sticking together.

Roos has been very direct in saying that players will be given a specific role and their ability to play that role will determine them keeping their spot. He will make them accountable, I have no doubt about that.

Just because I am liking the sounds coming out of the club at present does not make me a sycophant. It makes me have genuine faith in those leading us forward, which is a refreshing change. You've been critical of Jackson from the outset and now you're doing the same with Roos, and for the life of me I can't understand why. Finally we have two blokes with runs on the board who know what they're doing.

• Like 3

Enjoyed reading it - insightful and encouraging - but I am not changing my view of waiting until rounds 8 - 11 to make my first decision on whether the Roos plan is working.

I particularly loved what he said about Toumpas, Viney and Hogan. They are not the saviours of the club who have to perform from day 1. He has recruited Cross and Vince to join in with N Jones to "take a few hits" for these younger players who can develop their first 30 games free of immediate selection, pressure and expectation.

And at the least it sounds like Trengove and Watts are understood as footballers.

My opinion of the first 6 rounds is quickly changing after watching some pre-season training and reading this article. It appears that the issues of game plan and morale will take some weeks to heal, and it is probably reasonable to expect only 1 win in the first 6 weeks, and possibly only 3 in the first half of the season. I hope for better than this, but the path to improvement is starting from a long way back.

I pretty much share your view Mb.

Yes we are starting as the worst performed club for the last six years particularly the last two.

l have been called a few things mate, but a sycophant is not one of them. I'm not the one who wants to hear nothing lines about working on skills and sticking together.

Roos has been very direct in saying that players will be given a specific role and their ability to play that role will determine them keeping their spot. He will make them accountable, I have no doubt about that.

Just because I am liking the sounds coming out of the club at present does not make me a sycophant. It makes me have genuine faith in those leading us forward, which is a refreshing change. You've been critical of Jackson from the outset and now you're doing the same with Roos, and for the life of me I can't understand why. Finally we have two blokes with runs on the board who know what they're doing.

It's because they just don't bleed red and blue mate. ;)

I want actions. What part of that don't you get?

I don't want a blame game.

I get it.

I want actions. What part of that don't you get?

I don't want a blame game.

I get it.

What actual action can they provide at this point of the year? Invading Collingwood and Richmond training and punching on with them? Kidnapping Andrew Demetriou and forcing the rest of the league to forfeit their games to us?

I know they were separate issues talking about young players and Watts' playing role but the public perception will still lead to Roos is trying to make Watts in to Adam Goodes 2.0. And in reality he is. But the issue of putting pressure on Watts is still one it would be wise to stick clear off.

I'd hate to be looking back in 3 years and have Watts new coach (at another senior club I'd say) saying well Melbourne put pressure on him with his debut that was shocking, then they tried to make him live up to being the next Adam Goodes.

I agree the players at training are completely different but the games haven't started. Once the games start if a few losses mount if we still have Roos going on about old scars and healing and things that wont be helpful. I recognise he needed to stem the bleeding, give the players some respect and confidence but the continuation of that is move on to talking about how they can perform.

What I'm saying is come Friday it's time for footy talk not for talk about what has come and gone in the Neeld regime.

Of course one huge difference between Watts' debut, and whatever expectations Roos may be putting on him, is that Jack is now into his ?5th season, not a skinny kid just out of dominating APS footy!

had to look that one up moonie. then i had to look up fly girls and carpet munchers

i really do need to get up to date

To flirt. To mac. To exhibit your game. To woo a hottie.

Can be spelled pitchin woo as well.

I was pitching woo at some fly girls down at Embers, but they were all a bunch of carpet munchers.

and I thought that this was some sort of reference to a (golf) short iron by someone reluctant to use Tiger's full surname

I'm beginning to think you might have been happier if he didn't do the interview at all. Maybe just don't read them in future and let others discuss what he says and his plans for the players. i.e. his intended actions.

Thanks for your advice, but I'll debate what I want, when I want.

Cheers.

As was mentioned before, he also raised the handling of Jack Watts (a Bailey era experiment) and that ridiculous pre match show they put on. Roosy also stressed that he didn't want to go over old ground (at least he did in the Hun interview). I thought he was quite subtle in saying what he did. He could have gone all Terry Wallace and said he had walked into a basketcase but due to the kind of bloke he is, he didn't.

The fact is that players have been given way too much spin over the last two years and sadly, that coincides with Neeldy's period. Unrealistic promises were made and they all exploded in the football clubs face. Roosy hasn't individualized in that piece but he has told the truth.

A lot of us were saying the same thing as PR is saying now (myself included). There were some head wobblers among the playing group but they came to believe they didn't belong. The scars of the last 7 years need to be healed.

The spin aspect really grated with me. Too many news reports on our fate with future success. Too frequent TV appearances and press conferences every other day by the coach. Add the public humiliation of miscreant players, the saturation lauding of the indigenous brotherhood and endless cheesy articles and photos of our supposed future young stars and what is rarely discussed was IMO the shameless saturation exploitation of Jim Stynes's illness and elevation to messianic status. Edited by america de cali

I read it as manage your expectations. Clark not to play anytime soon. I thought earlier 4 wins wasn't hoping for too much. I also believe winning against st kilda round one may have been achievable and a huge fillip for the club and it's supporters.

I wish I knew more about Mitch Clark. much of my meagre expectations revolve around this extremely expensive contract.

I read it as manage your expectations. Clark not to play anytime soon. I thought earlier 4 wins wasn't hoping for too much. I also believe winning against st kilda round one may have been achievable and a huge fillip for the club and it's supporters.

I wish I knew more about Mitch Clark. much of my meagre expectations revolve around this extremely expensive contract.

I'm stating the obvious but it's a big year for Mitch. If Dawes and Hogan are right to go for Rd. 1 with Howe down there as well then I think we can let Clark take his time and get back when he is ready. I just think the club is being VERY cautious, as we clearly brought him back too early last year.

I am impressed that there was a double-page article on Roos in both Melbourne's morning papers. Let us hope that this favourable publicity translates into more membership sales and supporters at games.

Agree, the start of regaining lost membership 12000 and a few more, good move it's got them talking and a lot are impressed by the openness.

Yes, but I think he was relating the way the players were treated onfield aswell; the players were incredulous that we would only have one gameplan. They didn't trust him that that was the case because of the multitude of ways the multitude of coaches have asked them to play in the past.

I have had this discussion in the past and there will be some diehards that remain - you only have one gameplan. You can change tactics for sure, but not the way you are instructed to play. It's hard enough to get 20 blokes playing one game style well, let alone another or a few.

Absolutely correct 'rpfc'. So many people including some coaches and so called experts don't get this. Lucky for us and the players Roos does.

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice, but I'll debate what I want, when I want.

Cheers.

Once again you've overlooked or missed the main point being made. You want action, but in an interview where Roos discusses his plans you want more "we're committed and sticking together" fluff.

I'll leave you to your anti-Roos/Jackson tirades and criticising an interview as being all talk.

• Like 1

Once again you've overlooked or missed the main point being made. You want action, but in an interview where Roos discusses his plans you want more "we're committed and sticking together" fluff.

I'll leave you to your anti-Roos/Jackson tirades and criticising an interview as being all talk.

I've said enough of that.

I was responding to your thoughtless commentary on allowing expert 'others' like yourself have a say on this board.

I'll leave you to your 'we're saved!' chant.

I got howled down for it a few weeks ago but the sooner that 4 yr contracts up the better, the only person benefitting from that juicy deal is him. Edited by mjt

I am impressed that there was a double-page article on Roos in both Melbourne's morning papers. Let us hope that this favourable publicity translates into more membership sales and supporters at games.

Thats what he brings to the club, exposure the guys worth every cent and our new major sponsors know that.

I've said enough of that.

I was responding to your thoughtless commentary on allowing expert 'others' like yourself have a say on this board.

I'll leave you to your 'we're saved!' chant.

Groan.

It was not genuine advice. Apparently I need to point that out. Post whatever the hell you want, hold everyone to account, but if I see unwarranted criticism of a guy whose five minutes through the door, I'm going to call you on it.

As I said you did it with Jackson, now Roos, and it's more than a little bit odd.