NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

Chook remembers that Neeldy's demons beat the reigning premier in week 1 of NAB cup too….perhaps.

But this is different….surely.

But they didn't play like they did tonight TGR.

They played like a TEAM tonight.

• Like 1

Funny how many forget over a pre season, but Terlich is so far in front of others competing for similar positions. Just because he isn't as 'fashionable' doesn't mean he isnt a more effective footballer. Strauss and co aren't even close to taking his spot.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 5

Funny how many forget over a pre season, but Terlich is so far in front of others competing for similar positions. Just because he isn't as 'fashionable' doesn't mean he isnt a more effective footballer. Strauss and co aren't even close to taking his spot.

Disagree. Still a couple of Terlich turnovers tonight plus he got beat a couple of times as well.

He's a loose ball machine, as in if there's a loose ball rolling his direction then he's going to win it and get it going. He's also incredibly good at finding the footy. But his ball use and one on one defending both need plenty of work for him to be a top level player.

• Like 1

Can someone explain what I've missed with our use of the subs? After half time both our subs took the field - Evans and Barry - but the only player I didn't see again was Tyson. I had assumed JKH had been subbed out in the third, but then he appeared again in the fourth. And Fox told us Trengove and Blease had been subbed out when they clearly hadn't.

1st Half (approx midway 2nd Q).

ON: Evans, Barry

OFF: Trengove, ????

Half time, subs reset

2nd Half (approx 15 min clock last Q)

ON: JKH, ????

OFF: Tyson

Someone at the game can fill in the subs but I presume what happened is we just used 8 different players through the vests at different stages so they all got a chance. Trengove's 29 touches pretty impressive given he missed half of the second quarter

I went tonight. I'll tell you my highlight. Within 1 minute and three seconds of the start, Richmond score a goal. That, in previous years, would have been the start of a flood of goals by the opposition. The fact no such thing happened tonight was enough of a sign of change for me to believe we have a new team to support this year ! Oh happy day !!!!!!!

( and didn't no.24 play well !!! ) :)))

• Like 1

Options behind the ball, finally. And plenty of them, and for a whole game.

Often we'd win the clearance and dish it back and have to keep dishing back, it lacked the fluency of a Hawthorn or Sydney clearance, be we were winning the contest and knew where our players were going to be, and they were always there. This never happened under Neeld, it was hit in and hope, Nathan Jones.

That was the most pleasing thing for me.

Hitting more targets in one game than we did in two years was also pleasing.

Georgiou is the best worst kick I've seen. Picks the right options which helps. Solid backup.

Toumpas is a little concerning, still adjusting, but didn't get near it when we had 400+ disposals... If he and Blease ever click, look out.

JKH will ignite the young supporters' excitement. Seems a great and talented kid.

Spencer really surprised me, I didn't think he could get any worse, and he did.

Can't wait to see what we're like with a full squad.

• Like 4

Woke up nice and early this morning (currently in London) to watch the game with my Richmond supporting mate. Was such a big step in the right direction. I can't be bothered reading all the previous post but this is what I took out of the game.

- We have depth. Fringe players stepped up and showed they could really play some decent footy.

- Was rapt with Ro Bail's game. Have felt really sorry for the guy (as all of us have) over the past couple of seasons as he has struggled with injuries and poor form. Thought he started to display some footy that I knew he was capable of.

- Our young guns demanded to be played this season. JKH, King, Toumpas etc. all showed they can play. King will have to spend a bit of time maturing his body but I liked his attack at the ball and he was even able to win some of the ruck contests.

- We have a clear well thought out game plan that we are able to play. There were glimpses of years past in some of the older players but that will soon be gone.

- We were able to win a lot of the footy and hang on to it.

- The leaders led.

- We finally have a competent AFL coach.

- And finally we as both supporters and as a club in whole have some true hope.

I understand that this is just a NAB cup game and that our opposition was missing some big name players but so were we. Like I said this is a step in the right direction and we certainly haven't reached the full potential of the team but at least now we see a direction and we can be confident that we won't be whooped week in week out this year and we can finally start earning back the respect of the AFL community that we deserve. I hope by round 5 we can start holding our heads high again as Melbourne supporters.

• Like 2

Options behind the ball, finally. And plenty of them, and for a whole game.

Often we'd win the clearance and dish it back and have to keep dishing back, it lacked the fluency of a Hawthorn or Sydney clearance, be we were winning the contest and knew where our players were going to be, and they were always there. This never happened under Neeld, it was hit in and hope, Nathan Jones.

That was the most pleasing thing for me.

Hitting more targets in one game than we did in two years was also pleasing.

Georgiou is the best worst kick I've seen. Picks the right options which helps. Solid backup.

Toumpas is a little concerning, still adjusting, but didn't get near it when we had 400+ disposals... If he and Blease ever click, look out.

JKH will ignite the young supporters' excitement. Seems a great and talented kid.

Spencer really surprised me, I didn't think he could get any worse, and he did.

Can't wait to see what we're like with a full squad.

Great summary.

Great result last night and enjoyable style of game to watch, what a difference having a decent midfield makes! Jones will love having Cross, Vince, Tyson and Michie to lean on. even Trengove showed a renewed hunger, removing the burden of captaincy may be his rebirth.

Spencer was Spencer, I know he doesn't have a lot of fans on here but have a look at the tackles column and you'll see why I think the coaches appreciate him, none of our players had more last night. He had more hitouts than anyone else on the ground, and a richmond member sitting with us pointed out they selected 5 guys that were close to 200cm last night.

he's never going to win a beauty contest with his disposals but that's not what he is there for. He provides a contest.

Jeremy Howe as the sole genuine, albeit undersized, leading forward held his line brilliantly.

Great signs with Dawes, Garland, Watts, Viney, Hogan and maybe Clark to still come back into the side

• Like 4

It wasn't even the win that excites me, although I acknowledge the pleasure that brings, it's the game-plan, structures, running, the disciplines to keep it up for 4 quarters and that I now KNOW the dark days are over.

To have a game-plan where we get and retain the footy, while starving the opposition is manna from heaven.

• Like 5

Clisby might surprise you.

Terlich will always have the odd clanger, but he's tough and brave. I'll always like him for that.

Strauss is like a dear in the headlights. He has AFL attributes, but he's the opposite of Armani, who is as cool as a cucumber.

Nicholsonhas great endeavour. Can't kick.

We have too many players who can't kick on our list, Nicholson, Mckenzie,Spencer, Cross.......amazingly you'd think at AFL level a selected player should be an elite kick and if thet aren't you'd practice. Bail missed a couple of regulation kicks for goal but gets one from an acjute angle. Again until we get more skilled players into the side we won't be a consistently competitive side.

WOW did not see that coming!

In actual fact I did not see anything last night went to Springsteen and got out to find we had won.

I seriously thought we would struggle last night.

Great way to start 2014 could not have been better considering the players missing.

I can only imagine how good the players must have felt after the last two and a half years.

Should bump along memberships next week.

Go dees

• Like 7