Top heavy up front?

Whispering_Jack

The tweet from melbournefc asks, "How does a forward line consisting of Dawes, Clark, Hogan and high-flyer Jeremy Howe sound Dees fans?"

Howe to fly high in attack

It sounds a bit top heavy to me. I would like to see one of these players further down the ground.

I think Howe will be playing more a floating, high half forward role 'Jack'. Apart from Dawes the others are very mobile and they will probably rotate a bit with Clark doing some time in the ruck.

The tweet from melbournefc asks, "How does a forward line consisting of Dawes, Clark, Hogan and high-flyer Jeremy Howe sound Dees fans?"Howe to fly high in attack

It sounds a bit top heavy to me. I would like to see one of these players further down the ground.

I would like to see one of these players on the ground .
  • Like 1

I think Howe will be playing more a floating, high half forward role 'Jack'. Apart from Dawes the others are very mobile and they will probably rotate a bit with Clark doing some time in the ruck.

I agree rjay, i can see Howe marking 60 meters out and pumping it in but also floating inside the 50 to take some screamers and a few mis here and there on the ball. Howe is not too bad when the ball hits the ground so he could even be a bit of a crumber'.

Its interesting that Howe is so clear on his role so far out (and also that Roos doesn't see him as a mid given he is fit and strong, personally i love the idea of him up forward). Similar to Watts and Grimes. Obviously clarity of role is important to Roos.

As for the forward line, even without Howe it is pretty big isn't it (when all players are in there). Its interesting that the Swans are also going big up forward. Two big guys seems to be the orthodoxy. Three might turn it up to 11.

Good time for the rule to soften a bit on the use of strength to get position in marking contests, something Cloke has said he is pumped about. I imagine Clark, Fitzy, Hogan and Dawes are also pretty happy.

I only dream of the day when we have 4 talls fit enough to play on the forward line together.

More likely we will get.

Dawes : inj.

Clark : rehab

Hogan FF

Howe HFF

Fitzy CHF

Howe missed 1 game last year and Hoges is a debutant

Don't know why every poster is talking about that 'group' not getting on the park

Our football department does not expect Clark and Dawes to continue to be injured so the question is obviously valid

I think it is a balltearer of a forward line that will look even better with finally a decent midfield feeding it

Dawes 85-90% centre half forward/forward pocket/full forward

Hogan 75-80% forward

Clark 65% forward, 25% ruck

Howe 65% forward, 25% midfield

Add those together and it's 300% forward or the equivalent of only 3 of them in the forward line at any one stage. As long as you get the rotations right it's pretty simple.

I'd start Hogan on the bench for a couple of minutes, as Hogan comes on flick Howe in to the midfield, when Howe gets tired after a 3 minute midfield burst it's about time for Clark to do a stint in the ruck by which time that is over he goes to the goal square and Hogan goes up to CHF and lets Dawes have a spell on the bench. That's just an example but you get the point. I suppose an even simpler way would be that if all 3 of Hogan, Dawes and Clark are in the forward line at once then Howe goes to a wing until one of the big 3 take a rest or Clark goes in to the ruck.

There are also going to be games when Hogan isn't having a great day. I'm almost certain of that. No young key forward has played consistently great footy. Buddy didn't. Don't think Jeremy Cameron was a star year 1 (and even had quiet games year 2). Maybe Carey but who knows. Daniher last year certainly showed glimpses but also did a lot of nothing. There will be games where it makes sense for Hogan to be subbed out. Same can be said for Dawes especially if he doesn't have a huge fitness base under him then at the start of the year he might be a great candidate for coming out of a game at 3/4 time and seeing if Clark and Hogan can do the job.

I don't expect the forwards to be unstoppable. Key forward combinations are rarely that great anyway especially in a really bad team. But I'm excited about how they go as footballers and the benefit they can provide the rest of the team even without putting it on the scoreboard together. Anyone who saw Hale take some key marks early, Gunston get a mismatch and Lance Franklin win crucial loose balls across half forward and provide a physical threat to the opposition in the grand final will know the value of good big guys. And yet Hawthorn this year rarely were the power forward dominant team that they were in 2008.

The more the rules get tweaked to maximise fatigue injuries and reduce the effective skills of running players, the more useful it is to have big targets up forward.

As the cliche goes, the talls don't get any shorter.

Plus, the more the premium on 'distance run' increases, the more midfielders benefit from saving their legs by firing the long kick, hopefully to advantage.

I think we have a particular advantage in that all of Clark, Hogan and Dawes appear to have a top work ethic for second efforts and claiming the spill - something that will be even more valuable late in games when opposition midfielders get slower and slower to run back to defence.

We may even see a tactic where a huge part of the ground is left open for, in effect, two CHFs and a FF.

Constantly ready to offer long leads, swivel around and kick it quickly to the 'other CHF' who either shoots or plinks it to the FF.

I don't mind the sound of that forward line and think with the right midfield feeding it, it would be successful, however not entirely convinced we have that midfield yet.

Hawthorn just won a flag running Franklin, Roughead, Gunston and Hale in their forward line, at times all at once and functioning well, I'm sure Roos is capable of orchestrating something similar if that's the way he chooses to go.

Edited by T-34

I don't mind the sound of that forward line and think with the right midfield feeding it, it would be successful, however not entirely convinced we have that midfield yet.

Hawthorn just won a flag running Franklin, Roughead, Gunston and Hale in their forward line, at times all at once and functioning well, I'm sure Roos is capable of orchestrating something similar if that's the way he chooses to go.

Didn't read this before I posted. I concur with your points.

I cant see how anyone finds that top heavy. It basically mirrors the current premiers set up of Franklin, Roughhead, Hale and Gunston. Given Clark, Howe and Hogan are extremely mobile and good below their knees I don't see any issue.

With respect, as good as we might think our tall forwards are, let's not forget that Franklin and Roughhead have three Coleman Medals between them (Buddy would have scored another but for that troublesome ... ahem ... "hamstring" that kept him out of a large slab of the last half of 2012), had a top class midfield pumping the ball to them and a few clever smalls like Cyril at their feet. Our blokes have yet to establish they can all get on the park on the same day let alone dominate the goal kicking as the Hawthorn players have done for so long and with such consistency.

The big issue in the forward line is finding a small whom can rove of the packs...Blease or Tapscott or Kent seem the likely choices till another comes along re young Kennedy Harris or Salem.

Edited by jayceebee31

With respect, as good as we might think our tall forwards are, let's not forget that Franklin and Roughhead have three Coleman Medals between them (Buddy would have scored another but for that troublesome ... ahem ... "hamstring" that kept him out of a large slab of the last half of 2012), had a top class midfield pumping the ball to them and a few clever smalls like Cyril at their feet. Our blokes have yet to establish they can all get on the park on the same day let alone dominate the goal kicking as the Hawthorn players have done for so long and with such consistency.

As good as they are as players the Hawks guys haven't really dominated the goal kicking besides 2008 though have they?

Hogan and Dawes don't compare with Franklin and Roughed either in goal kicking output or in mobility, no one is claiming that. But Clark likely eclipses Hale in both talent and mobility and Gunston is the better goal kicker but I'd have Howe as just as mobile and likely more effective when pushed in to the midfield.

As some have mentioned finding our version of Breust, Puopolo and Rioli would be harder

I don't mind that forward line. But does it suggest we'll be playing just one of Jamar/Spencer/Gawn/Fitzpatrick? Where would the second of those four play, especially given the cap on rotations?

I agree entirely with just one of those four, especially if we already have Frawley, Garland and McDonald down back. Add Watts and Dunn to the 22 and there is enough back up height too.

With the cap on rotations the modifiers will need to learn to rest forward again (and small forwards rotate up the ground). Versatility will be needed in taller players. What I think we lack in our talls apart from Watts who is printed for the mid field, are talls who swing forward and back to cover requirements.

It will be interesting to see if the bench is used primarily for rotations or for strategic match ups now there is a limitation on interchange. "Match ups" might not occur in the midfield as much anymore but they do in the backlines.

Would not be suprised to see Clark and/or Hogan playing a role similar to Goodes in the midfield at times. I thnk Roos has made it pretty clear he wants a big tall midfield and both are mobile, big and strong and good with the ball on the ground.

Would not be suprised to see Clark and/or Hogan playing a role similar to Goodes in the midfield at times. I thnk Roos has made it pretty clear he wants a big tall midfield and both are mobile, big and strong and good with the ball on the ground.

I think Jack Watts is the one to play the Goodes type role.