Nate Jones in 2014 - where to from here?

P-man

Rewind a few years, and the comments about Nate Jones both on here and other supporter forums were, for the most part, not all that favourable. It is in stark contrast to the present day, where you would struggle to find a single supporter who has nothing but admiration for a bloke who stood tall amongst the carnage of the past two seasons. In my opinion, talent parked to one side, he has cemented his spot as a club great for what he has achieved, during what has been one of the toughest periods in the club's history.

How he actually rates in the competition remains a matter of debate amongst all circles. Is he merely a good foot soldier forced to carry the load of a largely abhorrent midfield, or has he rightly taken his place amongst midfielders given the ambiguous title of "A grade"? His true qualities may still be hard to determine given his "one man midfield" status. How good can one player be without any support around them? Unless of course that player is the son of God.

The question therefore is partly where do you see Jonesy now? But more importantly, and in direct relation to that, what are your hopes and expectations for him next season? Are you predicting him to take his game to another level again, and what does he have to do, offensively or otherwise, in order to achieve that?

Cheers all.

Not quite a club great but a few more solid seasons and you could call him that.

On the field he needs to tackle more, work his play in with other midfielders (which is hard when they are traffic cones) and be more consistent when getting a hard tag, which is true for almost every player besides GAJ. If he does that he'll be an A grader.

The lack of support makes it very hard to judge all our players but I don't feel comfortable calling him an A grader but I'm more conservative than some.

He is a club great in my eyes. Shows absolute faith and heart to sign a 3 year deal in its worst time in MFC history. Wins two best and fairest after getting tagged week after week. His consistant form is a credit to his dedication and hard work he puts in off field and on field. Jonesy is already a melbourne great.

A few seasons ago I compared Jones's stats with those of one Dane Swan at the same time in their careers. Jones's stats not only matched Swans but in a lot of areas Jones was ahead of Swan. Given that Jones has continued to improve and he will have support through the midfield, next season I would expect Jonesy to take his game to yet another level. By the end of 2014 we may well be talking of Jones as an out and out A grade midfielder.

I remember the anecdote about Scott West, I think after he won his second consecutive B&F (1997-8) the coach was quoted as saying that if it was still West winning the best and fairest awards in the coming years, then the Bulldogs would be in serious trouble. The idea being that he was a good, honest toiler with a high output but not capable of really changing a game.

Well, West went on to win four more B&Fs and a string of All-Australian awards. The Bulldogs had two periods of 'serious contention' during his career, during the mid to late 90s and the mid to late 2000s. It will ever be a debate though - was it a bad sign that West kept winning Best & Fairests? If some of the Bulldogs' other undoubted first-rate players had taken an extra step up, beyond West, would the Bulldogs have snared a premiership instead of a tragic string of preliminary finals?

I'm mentioning all this because there is an obvious parallel with Nathan Jones. Jones isn't quite as stellar an 'extractor' as West, but has also had more attention on him directly / less support throughout his career so far. Maybe a better, deeper midfield will ease the direct checking of him, allow him to move his numbers up to that 'consistently 25+' zone that seems the mark for top onballers. But is he a game winning weapon?

Referring to a ubiquitous military expression which has appeared in a number of cultures; "Engage with the orthodox, defeat with the unorthodox". Jones is the 'orthodox', his relentless effort and effectiveness requires constant attention. Unable to create the breakthough on his own, but allowing the unorthodox elements to make decisive moves.

I think what was said about West can apply to Jones - if he is still consistently winning our Best and Fairest award two or three years from now, we have a problem.

But at the same time, I imagine he'll be up there in the top 5, top 3, more years than not, for the rest of his career, and I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if he snagged one or two more B&Fs in his time.

Junior said something similar after winning one of his Blueys. He wasn't keen to win the Clubs top individual award again because If he did then it showed the club wasn't improving

Little did he know that his 2006 win would be seen as somewhat of a year high point for at least the next 7 seasons

Not quite a club great but a few more solid seasons and you could call him that.

On the field he needs to tackle more, work his play in with other midfielders (which is hard when they are traffic cones) and be more consistent when getting a hard tag, which is true for almost every player besides GAJ. If he does that he'll be an A grader.

The lack of support makes it very hard to judge all our players but I don't feel comfortable calling him an A grader but I'm more conservative than some.

I agree. I don't think he's far off maxing out his potential, although he'd benefit from playing in a good team where he's not the first targeted.

Some players, like West and Black, were brilliant with their hands at stoppages; Williams, Mitchell and Black (again) had incredible reflexes to match their creative vision; Voss had brute strength, nastiness and sublime skill; while others, such as Judd and Dangerfield, combined explosiveness with game sense to do damage. Jones doesn't have an elite category and I don't see an AA mid, but he's turned himself into a reliable pro.

If Nate Jones wins a B and F we're in trouble?

Ridiculous comment.

What more does this bloke need to do?

Out and out star.

Fantastic player.

its not that his efforts arent valiant. its not that hes not a good player . Its great that he has Melbourne in his veins but I feel you have simply missed the tenet of the notion that if Melbourne is as good only as Jones then we will not evolve. its quite simple. The caliber of player needs to lift over all and the Bluey winner needs to be better than even Jones is at present. Thats not to back hand him its to say hes the current benchmark, but it need s to be better.

Edited by beelzebub

Maybe the question could be, 'who will be our best mid at the end of season 2014'? I think it won't be Jones and if that's the case then we are on the right path. By the way that's no disrespect to Jones who I think will play a huge part in our revival and may well be captain.

Maybe the question could be, 'who will be our best mid at the end of season 2014'? I think it won't be Jones and if that's the case then we are on the right path. By the way that's no disrespect to Jones who I think will play a huge part in our revival and may well be captain.

Who do you think will overtake Jones?

I can't think of anyone that we have that could do that in 1 year. He is football lightyears ahead of the next bloke.

I can't think of anyone that we have that could do that in 1 year. He is football lightyears ahead of the next bloke.

its not for us to necessarily predict who will, just for the club to work as whole to ensure the avenues are there for those that might.

Someone will

I think Tyson will but I maybe a year early on that one. By 2015 I expect him to be in the top 5 mids in the AFL.

If Jones continues the form he's shown from the last two seasons as our midfield improves, he'll be thrust into AA contention for sure. Then we'll be able to call him A grade. He's gotta continue this consistency though. Otherwise he'll be another mid who had two great seasons in abysmal years for the club.

Cross

Vince

A fit Trengove

Viney

Toumpas

Tyson

Michie

Watts

Howe

Providing they all play the majority of the season, Jones shouldn't have trouble continuing his great form from that kind of support. There's talent and depth there. We know Cross and Vince don't have trouble finding the pill. Trengove should be a massive improvement from last years. Viney will only improve and the same with Toumpas.

Jones is a B grade mid and that's only because of the team he's playing in. Give him two more seasons of playing the way he does matched with genuine improvement as a team and he'll be held in much higher regard.

He reminds me of Boak really.

I want him made captain also.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I think Tyson will but I maybe a year early on that one. By 2015 I expect him to be in the top 5 mids in the AFL.

You expect that?

He has played 13 games and you think that he will be in the top 5 in the AFL before his 50th game?

I think you are reaching.

Jones is the standout in our midfield and will be again in 2014 and, most likely, 2015. Vince and Cross will help him immediately and Trengove, Michie, Tyson, Viney, and Toumpas will hopefully take some more pressure off.

You expect that?

He has played 13 games and you think that he will be in the top 5 in the AFL before his 50th game?

I think you are reaching.

Jones is the standout in our midfield and will be again in 2014 and, most likely, 2015. Vince and Cross will help him immediately and Trengove, Michie, Tyson, Viney, and Toumpas will hopefully take some more pressure off.

Probably a year early on the top 5 as well, more like 2016 but I stand by him being one of the top players in the comp. I rate him, he will be a gun. Good get by the club.

I wouldn't be surprised by Vince stepping up in 2014 and also expect to see a big turnaround with Trengove. Jones will have some company which is a good thing.

its not that his efforts arent valiant. its not that hes not a good player . Its great that he has Melbourne in his veins but I feel you have simply missed the tenet of the notion that if Melbourne is as good only as Jones then we will not evolve. its quite simple. The caliber of player needs to lift over all and the Bluey winner needs to be better than even Jones is at present. Thats not to back hand him its to say hes the current benchmark, but it need s to be better.

I understand the tenet completely.

Jones will evolve and be better again, as others lift him.

AA already, will be AAA by season's end.

I wish we had more of him.

I understand the tenet completely.

Jones will evolve and be better again, as others lift him.

AA already, will be AAA by season's end.

I wish we had more of him.

Fair enough if your view. Ostensibly isn't much to disagree with . I do however feel others will go past him as they have more inherent talent to work with. This is in no ways meant as a slight to Chunk.His ability to see within himself and extract that which he does is without peer really at the club to date. I think that whilst Jones has a little ways to go he may well find his ceiling. Others will go higher. If they, the others, can only find the same dedication and effort of application that Nathan has then this team will most definitely go places :)

Fair enough if your view. Ostensibly isn't much to disagree with . I do however feel others will go past him as they have more inherent talent to work with. This is in no ways meant as a slight to Chunk.His ability to see within himself and extract that which he does is without peer really at the club to date. I think that whilst Jones has a little ways to go he may well find his ceiling. Others will go higher. If they, the others, can only find the same dedication and effort of application that Nathan has then this team will most definitely go places :)

Completely agree with your last sentence.

I reckon we could get more goals out of him. Jones is evasive and has become a good thumping kick. All the mids we have recruited, especially the inside guys, will allow him to get more uncontested footy and kick more goals.

For the record, I always believed in Nathan Jones as a first-rate AFL player in the making when plenty were writing him off (inexplicably, possible MFCSS) early i his career.

i think he is an exemplary professional who has put dedication into overcoming his weaknesses rather than just playing 'around' them.

However, even if he was 'one of five elite equals', never mind surpassed by other players, the best forseeable future for the club is not one where this one excellent but not 'champion' player continues to be our B&F year after year!

I agree completely, I'd say for him to be an "A Grader" or to be seen as an a grader, he needs to he at the same level as Griffen from the bulldogs (who is now captain, just saying!).

And like you said break a tag and have 30-40 touches most week and hit the score board.

But that's hard to do when your constantly gut running back into defence to cover the absense of any wingman, half forwards who should be giving you a chop out and helping you get on the end of a few goals.. Instead of feeding them from the back pocket..

Edited by PurpleHaze12