• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Name your rookie prospect

DeeSpencer

likely rookies ...

Matthew Sully - 195cms Full back, Geelong Cats VFL team, 21yo, good for backline depth.

Tom Barrass - WA 192cms 3rd defender type like Josh Gibson. Woth the punt.

Jason Pongrecic- 20 yo, Frankston VFL strong built inside mid. Plays fwd and notable goalkicker

Tom Barrass is nothing like Josh Gibson.

Pongracic is a wombat, not good enough.

neanderthal/open your eyes ... and your brain. your likely options outside the top 70-80?? put up or shutup.

Bahahahaha

I've actually seen Barrass play live a dozen times - he's a completely different type of key back to Gibson and if he nominates for the draft he should go top 40, so badging him as a rookie is wide of the mark, notwithstanding he profiles physically and athletically completely different to Gibson.

Pongracic is what some recruiters call a wombat - stocky, slow, insidish, without the range or X factor in his game that's desirable to Afl clubs.

My report on Barrass' teammate Steve Edwards is above and he is a quality player who could be special if he wants to be and has the question marks that may see him slide below the draft spot his talent warrants.

I like Guy Page from Sturt - a small quick back pocket, but he may be too small and doesn't do enough probably.

Todd McKay is another I don't mind - hard at it midfielder from South Adelaide. But they're both very outside chances to get picked up.

• Like 2

Kid will be a star if he applies himself.

Which probably is what prompted the comparison with Kelvin Lawrence who I'm reliably informed was homesick from the first day he arrived in Melbourne until his early departure a year and a half later. Never a happy camper in our environment and probably never gave himself a chance to make it. Probably, the opposite to his cousin Nev Jetta who has worked hard and always seemed to be dogged by one injury or another (or a suspension) just when he was on the verge of a possible breakthrough.

I've heard that Jarryd Drew, on Casey's list, is a possible draft or rookie for us this year. Have heard this around school from his mates and a couple of teachers at school, don't know if it has any substance though.

If Aaron Davey feels up to it.... Then id like to see him get another shot.... Be a great mature age rookie...

Are you suggestimg Alwyn or Aaron?

Yes I agree with Mitch Banner. Heard that he has developed further into a inside mid.

Goodoil, ... Page is a small back pocket. Not needed and definitely NOT AFL standard. Todd McKay is a SANFL standard player as well. If you dont have better options, dont shoot down others without constructive replacements.

I think Liam Nash from Gippy Power has seriously potential and could develop as a midfielder - or a future KP player.

Missed out on the country Vic side due to injuries and no pre-season.

Related to Opals captain Belinda Snell and comes from a family of gun footballers.

I'd take Nash as a rookie, I have no doubt at all that put in an AFL system, he'd pass 90% of kids available.

Yes I agree with Mitch Banner. Heard that he has developed further into a inside mid.

Goodoil, ... Page is a small back pocket. Not needed and definitely NOT AFL standard. Todd McKay is a SANFL standard player as well. If you dont have better options, dont shoot down others without constructive replacements.

I didn't shoot you down. I rate Barrass very highly and lot higher than any phantom drafts and the like. He is a very promising player. Just seems that if you are comparing him to Josh Gibson, then you don't know much about him, or haven't seen him play much. I don't rate Pongracic that highly and know that most AFL clubs don't see him as an AFL player and have heard numerous recruiters describe him as a wombat.

Guy Page has got classes on Pongracic and we don't have a small back pocket to play on indigenous smalls. He was very rarely beaten this year. I'd be amazed if you've seen him play and obviously there is some interest in him as there were numerous management companies keen to get hold of him and I know some spotters went over to watch him this year.

I provided my report on Edwards who is that far superior to Pongracic in terms of talent it is hilarious.

McKay, again I'd be amazed how much you've seen of him. Knee injuries have hurt him but he is hard, tough and uses it well.

They are rookie prospects this year. You spit out Barrass, who is arguable the best key back in the draft and Pongracic the most overhyped player from last year, who every club didn't rate.

But if you want to call people neanderthals, make sure you bring the noise when the time comes, don't want a mess being made.

Jake Best would be a good pick up, faster than Blease kicked more goals (34 in the vfl).

Has been shown interest by Geelong and the Bulldogs..

Have a very reliable source.. I'd be surprised if no one picked him up..

Love to see him a dee!

anyone have first hand info on James Toohey?

working purely from his bio/ highlight vid (which are obviously going to be as flattering as possible)

low 3sec 20m sprint is pretty astounding for a bloke that big and while the chargers didn't have a massive year, any B&F carries weight

could potentially hold whichever gorilla Mcdonald doesn't have, freeing up chip for a bit more run and carry

anyone have first hand info on James Toohey?

working purely from his bio/ highlight vid (which are obviously going to be as flattering as possible)

low 3sec 20m sprint is pretty astounding for a bloke that big and while the chargers didn't have a massive year, any B&F carries weight

could potentially hold whichever gorilla Mcdonald doesn't have, freeing up chip for a bit more run and carry

With a name like Toohey, I thought he'd be lite.

:lol:

Don't know about him going as a rookie but we might consider drafting Joel Tippett with pick 40. He is a capable looking key defender.

• Like 2

Hugh Beasley

Position: Tall defender Height: 192cm Weight: 87kg Born: 12/11/95 Home club: Oakleigh Chargers
The inside word
Rated the fastest player at the Oakleigh Chargers despite measuring in at 192cm, Beasley looked like enjoying a bumper 2013 before dislocating his knee cap. A very aggressive tall defender with excellent closing speed, he had the better of expected No.1 pick Tom Boyd early in the season and thrives on one-on-one battles. He's strong in the air and having run a blistering 2.89 seconds for the 20m sprint at the state combine, he's got the acceleration to stick with any leading forward.
Snoop Dog says
Could be a real ‘smoky’ young Hugh. Am super impressed with him and think he is the modern type defender clubs will be looking for. Fast, agile, good leap, very clean hands and fearless in the contest. Clubs are looking for defenders who can play on the new forwards who are tall, fast and run both ways – blokes like Black, Franklin, White, Cameron etc. Didn’t play a whole lot of TAC but would have a few scouts thinking they could nab him late.
Knightmare says
Beasley is athletic and a good user of the footy. Has some potential as a stopper down back with his closing speed.
  • Like 1

I didn't shoot you down. I rate Barrass very highly and lot higher than any phantom drafts and the like. He is a very promising player. Just seems that if you are comparing him to Josh Gibson, then you don't know much about him, or haven't seen him play much. I don't rate Pongracic that highly and know that most AFL clubs don't see him as an AFL player and have heard numerous recruiters describe him as a wombat.

Guy Page has got classes on Pongracic and we don't have a small back pocket to play on indigenous smalls. He was very rarely beaten this year. I'd be amazed if you've seen him play and obviously there is some interest in him as there were numerous management companies keen to get hold of him and I know some spotters went over to watch him this year.

I provided my report on Edwards who is that far superior to Pongracic in terms of talent it is hilarious.

McKay, again I'd be amazed how much you've seen of him. Knee injuries have hurt him but he is hard, tough and uses it well.

They are rookie prospects this year. You spit out Barrass, who is arguable the best key back in the draft and Pongracic the most overhyped player from last year, who every club didn't rate.

But if you want to call people neanderthals, make sure you bring the noise when the time comes, don't want a mess being made.

Tom Barrass is a left footer, plays in the back 50, great mark (judgement) and spoils strongly. Compared to Josh Gibson in style (not looks - get it).

If Edwards, Page and McKay are on AFL rookie lists in 2013, I would be amazed...

Edited by spirit of norm smith

Tom Barrass is a left footer, plays in the back 50, great mark (judgement) and spoils strongly. Compared to Josh Gibson in style (not looks - get it).

If Edwards, Page and McKay are on AFL rookie lists in 2013, I would be amazed... but hey I don't put myself up as an expert to shoot down others.

Opsm has a sale on !!!

Yeah Barrass is a defender, Gibson is a defender. That is where the comparison mostly ends. Barrass plays mainly a man-on-man game, Gibson zones. Gibson's finishing move is the constructive spoil. Barrass takes contested marks. Gibson is a factor in the counter-attack/rebound game. Barrass has a long way to go in this regard. Barrass is also roughly 6cm taller, so they are completely different size/shape profiles. Its like comparing Nathan Brown to Nick Maxwell. It's just not right. I'll bow to you if you can find anyone with some clout comparing the two. Barrass is going to be a very big defender (195cm/95kg) down the track.

It will be a tragedy if Edwards isn't on a list, especially when he has spent much of the season cleaning up some of the mess Barrass' rawness creates. He's a terrific talent and has played senior footy.

Page and McKay are longshots, but in their different ways deserve it. Page has a 3rd in Sturt's B+F (ahead of Aiden Riley, who is just a good old-fashioned unconditional footballer, who outplayed Kerridge in the Sturt games I watched this year) as a lockdown defender at 19yo and has a management deal so he is closer than you think. I tried to get clubs and management companies to take a chance on him last year on the back of an outstanding SANFL under 18 game but they all basically said he didn't do enough and wasn't on radars and some hadn't heard of him and he played a couple of Sturt reserves games. He didn't even nominate. A year later he has played for SA under 23, has a senior B+F placing, a management deal and is nominating. He is probably too small to make it (173cm), but the kid can play.

McKay has been unlucky but in a weak year could get a shot for a club looking for hard-edged young mid. I suggested him as he could have added some depth, but Riley and Cross' pickups have mitigated against that.

I really don't know if you are taking the [censored], but I didn't shoot you down. Just the fact is Pongracic isn't well liked by most AFL clubs (it does only take one suitor, though) because he is vanilla and doesn't have enough tricks. Barrass is quite a fair bit different a player to Gibson. You're shooting me down, insinuating I'm blind et cetera, yet cannot fashion a reason why the players I suggested have no hope of finding themselves on an AFL list.

Edited by goodoil

Instead of 1000 threads for a bunch of guys half of which wont get picked if you've got a guy who shouldn't be in our first 3 picks but is a good rookie prospect name them here.

Aidan Riley (Adel)

Delisted today I really like the way this guy plays. He's a clearance and tackling beast who has the explosive clearance game at SANFL level and I think can progress to AFL as a stoppage player who has the athleticism to play as a forward as well. Skills aren't amazing but that's not his game. Only 21, previously a rookie and NSW scholarship player. Unfortunately broke his ankle at the start of only his second game this year (10 in total) so will need a long time to rehab but for a rookie pick I think he's more the worth a chance.

Bernie Vince could give us an understanding about his work rate and personality but to make it from a NSW scholarship player he's likely made of the right stuff.

Prophetic !!