WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BERNIE VINCE

Ted Lasso

I'll wager he loves money more

The almighty dollar ALWAYS gets its man, all other considerations fall pitifully by the wayside

C & B I consider you have let yourself down bigtime above.

Sitdown, Shutup and come along for the ride !

C & B I consider you have let yourself down bigtime above.

Sitdown, Shutup and come along for the ride !

just saying it is blatantly obvious that every single player in the competition prioritizes the fatter paycheck ahead of every other reason for staying at or going to a club

I honestly cannot believe anyone would be so fast asleep they would even contest this assertion

i'm not saying this will happen to us but if the situation does happen to arise where freo or any other club can make a better offer then kiss goodbye to Hogan or anyone else for that matter

good coach, onfield success, good city/home ground/supporters, mates at the club.. none of it matters

Judd, Franklin, Ablett, Scully every last one of them is the same

just saying it is blatantly obvious that every single player in the competition prioritizes the fatter paycheck ahead of every other reason for staying at or going to a club

I honestly cannot believe anyone would be so fast asleep they would even contest this assertion

i'm not saying this will happen to us but if the situation does happen to arise where freo or any other club can make a better offer then kiss goodbye to Hogan or anyone else for that matter

good coach, onfield success, good city/home ground/supporters, mates at the club.. none of it matters

Judd, Franklin, Ablett, Scully every last one of them is the same

I'm not an overly argumentitive person but how do rate Jack Vineys devotion so far?

Would suggest that evidence to the contrary is fairly widespread. There are a raft of reasons why players change clubs. Or don't.

Would suggest that evidence to the contrary is fairly widespread. There are a raft of reasons why players change clubs. Or don't.

Agreed. I just can't understand C & B 's stance

I'll wager he loves money more

The almighty dollar ALWAYS gets its man, all other considerations fall pitifully by the wayside

And we can afford to match any offers, the point is we need to be able to offer a chance at success as well.

And we can afford to match any offers, the point is we need to be able to offer a chance at success as well.

Hope and effort are forever linked in sport.

When we have both we will be strong on and off the field.

Hope and effort are forever linked in sport.

When we have both we will be strong on and off the field.

An interesting point. I remember hearing an interview on radio many years back with Noel McMahen who captained a couple of premiership teams in the fifties. He was a young man when he played in the successful 1948 premiership team, then went through a rough period when we were near the bottom. He spoke of how his hopes were buoyed by the fact that he could see what was happening when Norm Smith arrived and the club recruited several promising youngsters in 1953-4 who ended up members of the 1955-6 teams that he captained to a flag.

McMahen was a loyal bloke and I don't think he would have been tempted to leave for another VFL club in those days when money was not the big issue in the sport but these days, it might be different for players if they have the lure of the dollar and the chance of team success. Hence, I'm buoyed by what Roos has done thus far and the fact that we have some promising young recruits to go into the mix and to give us hope of better times ahead.

Agreed. I just can't understand C & B 's stance

I do, unless the Club can build and sustain success in the next five years, we will continually lose our top players, the way the game is going the playing 'window' is getting smaller and smaller so players need to ensure that they get the 'success' and the dollars that come with it as soon as they can.

Going back to Jesse Hogan, I have had quite a few chats with him, he actually genuinely likes Melbourne the city, and is looking forward to getting on the field in the AFL and giving a little back to the Club and supporters, but he wants to prove himself before any talk of extended contracts, returns home are even considered

Edited by Satyriconhome

I'm doubtful. I was thrilled when we got RDB back in 1980.

We had come from a bad 10 years and with peter Moore and kelvin templeton signing on we had just what was needed to make the 4.

I think we won one game but I may be wrong. Those days still sting. I hold bad feelings for who ever checked templetons bad knee.

So I'm jaded from false starts.

Luckily we enlisted slug Jordan and my thrills came more from the under 19s and then the reserves, the kids finally blooming under Northey.

I will wait and see.

Hope springs but not eternally.

I'm really, really surprised that Freo fell for Col.

Oh well, not the Club's problem any more.

I think, all he needs is one good preseason under his belt.....

They didn't have to give up much...

I'd say it was a high risk / high reward proposition.

You can't deny he has a lot of talent to be harnessed.

so widespread you are not going to cite a single example?

i am talking about any situation where it is known that a player stayed at his club despite a bigger offer elsewhere

i am talking about any situation where it is known that a player stayed at his club despite a bigger offer elsewhere

Tom Scully wasn't GWS's first choice 'big name' signing.

GWS approached plenty of other better players proposing massive uplifts to their existing contracts, and none agreed to leave their clubs. You can enter the names of pretty well every high profile midfielder in the slot when you ask 'well, who exactly?'.

To say that all players make decisions based on money alone is plainly wrong.

Chris Grant!

• 5 weeks later...