Jack Watts signs new 3-year deal

Grapeviney

In the midfield hey Roosy!, looks like he's trying make make Wattsy Melbourne's Kennedy. Should be very interesting, best of luck next year Jack, does anyone know what kind of coin he is on?

I doubt he'd be on very much given his performances to date.

And if there was any significant improvement, the previous development coaches at the club going back a few years ... You have to wonder...

I'm surprised either party would have wanted a three-year deal, but I guess this is good news.

it matches :rolleyes:

Glad to see him sign on for another 3 years.

I never had a problem with his comment about seeing what's happening at the club before committing to the club, the upheaval has been huge for us as supporters in the last few years, it would be worse in many ways for players. It's not as if his manager was shopping him around in the media like Dustin Martin's was, I think Watts just delayed the decision until he got a clearer idea from PJ on what happened, then Roos has spoken to him, sold him the message, and I'm hoping he can build and improve from here.

Am hoping that Sylvia will re-sign too (He's travelling overseas isn't he?) Roos needs to be able to sell the message to him also, as like it or not we can't afford to lose any experience from the club, or from the midfield.

One of only two Demons to get BOG votes in the 2013 Brownlow Medal.

(a useless fact if there ever was one)

Deserved it too.

Still think he's got the capacity to be an absolute nightmare of a matchup. 196cm marking in the midfield with his silky touches, rotating down back to be the loose man intercepting or moving up forward to be a KPF relief? Bloody tough to go with that.

• Like 2

Fantastic news.

Now re-sign Colin, MFC.

i think you'll find the latter will wait and test the market...thats my guess at least

now back to Jack

Maybe if we had a midfield to kick the pill to him, Watts would have had a better year.

As it stood, he did very well in exceptionally difficult circumstances.

A coach who has a clue will make a massive difference to his output next year too.

Much closer to Goodes (but miles away in class) or an Adreas Everitt than Kennedy. Watts will be molded into a tall athletic outside midfielder who can run and use the ball. No coach in a million years will ever make him a big body clearance beast like Kennedy.

Watts has the class of Goodes, but doesn't have the desire to run and work hard, hopefully it clicks for him and he realises that he has the ability to be an elite AFL player and the work that is needed to become that player. No one can question this guys ability only his want to do the hard work.

If he can develop the taste for crunch footy he could be anything.

We wait

• Like 1

Watts has the class of Goodes, but doesn't have the desire to run and work hard, hopefully it clicks for him and he realises that he has the ability to be an elite AFL player and the work that is needed to become that player. No one can question this guys ability only his want to do the hard work.

I'll question his ability. His skills are great but there is so much more to footballing ability than skills. Hard ball gets are not all just desire, you have to have the skill of contested ball winning. Same with tackling, some players are naturally good at it, others aren't. But Roos will aim to build up his weaknesses and play him in a position where his strengths can shine.

• Like 1

Maybe if we had a midfield to kick the pill to him, Watts would have had a better year.

A coach who has a clue will make a massive difference to his output next year too.

The revisionism on this site never ceases to astound me. Watts needs to lift, so do the rest of his team-mates.

Watts played a lot of his footy behind the ball because he struggles to win a contest and he is more useful as a designated kicker. This is not ideal.

Watts needs to change his game, Roos obviously feels that he can get more out of him I hope he does.

Yeah Watts bashing, writing him off blah, blah.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

In the midfield hey Roosy!, looks like he's trying make make Wattsy Melbourne's Kennedy. Should be very interesting, best of luck next year Jack, does anyone know what kind of coin he is on?

Watts doesn't have the body or temperament to play as an inside mid like Kennedy...

He'll be more like Daniel Wells/Nick Dal Santo with a silky boot IMO

Much closer to Goodes (but miles away in class) or an Adreas Everitt than Kennedy. Watts will be molded into a tall athletic outside midfielder who can run and use the ball. No coach in a million years will ever make him a big body clearance beast like Kennedy.

Agree

• Like 1

I'll question his ability. His skills are great but there is so much more to footballing ability than skills. Hard ball gets are not all just desire, you have to have the skill of contested ball winning. Same with tackling, some players are naturally good at it, others aren't. But Roos will aim to build up his weaknesses and play him in a position where his strengths can shine.

The game has changed, if you can't win a contested ball in this game you are irrellevant.

This finals series as case in point. We are still paying the price for Bailey and Prendergast mis-reading the direction that the game was going.

Edited by dandeeman

woohoo break out the sparkling mineral water ^_^

Play footy now Jack, play it the way you can, but with verve and determination. Make yourself proud, be worthy of the jumper.

Youve had a think, now is time to DO !!

Im with Belzby

I'm so underwhelmed :rolleyes:

But I do hope he becomes a good consistent player and leader for the club now that he has obviously got he way and the club has given in to his requests

Edited by jackaub

I really hope that you are right Allen

Don't mind where he plays, as long as he plays there for the whole season and gets some continuity in that position.

Good on you Jack, now please make it count.

Good point mate, continuity. Play him on the wing as many here have mentioned before. This should allow him to free himself up at times and could become a difficult match up.

I was going to say that Roos might be trying to get him to be a Goodes type of player - remember Goodes won a brownlow as a small ruckman/big midfielder - not saying that Watts is going to go anywhere near the brownlow or be as good as Goodes, but I'd imagine Roos sees Watts as a similar type of player.

On ya Wattsy!

Amazing what a new coach can do. Comes in tell Watts he is required and installs a great new set of confidence into him. Unlike someone who came in and told Watts he was the most overated number 1 pick and was set to send him off to North Melbourne for a third round draft pick...

Is this a statement of fact or a rumour that's on Demonland so people just choose to believe it?

I'm pleased to see the suggestion that Watts will play midfield. He has deficiencies in his game which would be apparent wherever he's played, but all those weaknesses are rectifiable. If he gets it right, he could be one of the most damaging midfielders in the game.

Is this a statement of fact or a rumour that's on Demonland so people just choose to believe it?

I'm pleased to see the suggestion that Watts will play midfield. He has deficiencies in his game which would be apparent wherever he's played, but all those weaknesses are rectifiable. If he gets it right, he could be one of the most damaging midfielders in the game.

I see him playing an on-field role, similar to James Hird in his playing days. Not dissimilar in build. I just hope jack can be even half as good.