• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

MELBOURNE TEAM FOR ROUND 1, 2014

I don't think Toumpas has the defensive capabilities to play in the backline at this stage.

Frawley CHF is a typo I assume?

Terlich will play 22 games in the backline if uninjured I believe and Matt Jones will be in over Taggert. If Taggert does get a game it will be at Kent/Blease's expense.

Toumpas has a long way to go in any part of the ground, but I see him more as a straight line link player at the moment and don't think his game is presently strong enough to play midfield. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Toumpas plays more games for Casey than Melbourne next year and it won't concern me at all, as he needs a heap of development. For SA Toumpas regularly played off a half back flank. He will need to work on his defensive side.

Imo Frawley needs to get some of his dash back. Like McDonald, he negates well, but has the speed and athleticism to play CHB. He can do both well, as the positions are pretty much interchangeable in modern footy.

Typo ? No, just nous.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how your head is so far up your own backside you won't even oblige a polite enquiry about a typo, which you did in fact make.

Stu, I agree that Gawn is by far the better prospect long term, but last year he looked such a long way off being capable of running out a game that I just can't believe he'd be able to turn that arou

Looking at some of these teams, I reckon we're still two to three midfielders away from our target. That said, I think we'll be more competitive next year. Let's say the aim for a side is to have 10 g

Yeah, I'd agree with you, Ben, on Chip. He can run, carry and line break off CHB. It would also keep his opponent honest.

Edited by AdamFarr

Clisby Frawley Garland

Grimes McDonald Terlich

Watts Jones M. Jones

Vince Clark Trengove

Hogan Dawes Evans

Foll: Gawn Tyson Viney

Int: Howe McKenzie Michie

Sub: Toumpas

Emerg: Pick #9 Fitzpatrick Blease

Looks like that back 6 is set in concrete now that we have brought in mids (Grimes can go back).

I really want Strauss to come on but he would have to take either Grimes, Clisby's or Terlich's position so that won't be easy. He has got a better body, pace and kick then those three though.

This might be a bit left field but I think our back line is too small and given our forwards I think Fitzy might do well at CHB. Macdonald at FB and Frawley and Garland as HBF plus two smalls. Fitzy's size is better suited to the big forwards in Tippett, Walker etc and his body is getting bigger. He's quick and athletic.

I guess it's never too early.

Terlich Frawley Clisby

Garland T.Mac Grimes

Vince N.Jones Watts

Howe Dawes Trengove

Hogan :) Clark Kent

Foll: Jamar Tyson Viney

INT McKenzie Gawn Michie

SUB Toumpas

EMG Fitzy Blease Dunn

If we draft Cross, he'll be in our best 21 each week in 2014.

If he's not, why would we draft him?

easily, he'd probably be our current 2nd best midfielder behind Jones?

I guess it's never too early.

Terlich Frawley Clisby

Garland T.Mac Grimes

Vince N.Jones Watts

Howe Dawes Trengove

Hogan :) Clark Kent

Foll: Jamar Tyson Viney

INT McKenzie Gawn Michie

SUB Toumpas

EMG Fitzy Blease Dunn

Interesting to see some still rate Jamar as first ruckman (or was that just a mistake?)

I personally think Jamar is undervalued on Demonland. Has had a couple of injury interrupted seasons. Still has 1-2 years left in his body I think.

Don't forget his amazing tap work with Moloney and ability to go forward and kick goals.

Edited by Young Dee

Terlich Frawley Clisby

Garland McDonald Grimes

Tyson Viney Vince

Trengove Dawes Michie

Hogan Clark Howe

Gawn Jones Watts

Toumpas Kent Fitzpatrick Evans

Spencer Matt Jones Pick 9

Thins out VERY quickly after this - we'd want a healthy year...

thats not bad

FB: GARLAND FRAWLEY TERLICH

HB: GRIMES MCDONALD TOUMPAS

C: MITCHIE N.JONES VINCE

HF:HOGAN DAWES WATTS

FF: TRENGOVE CLARK HOWE

FOLL: GAWN VINEY TYSON

INT: MCKENZIE CROSS KENT

SUB: PICK 9

EMER: DUNN FITZPATRICK EVANS

My worry looking at the side I selected was the inexperience of Viney & Tyson as the followers with Gawn as the ruck. I'm not convinced Vince would be suited there & Mitchie wasn't given the chance at Freo to show what he could do. I actually forgot about Howe so I swapped him with Kent & put Kent on the pine. Howe is definately first 18 IMO. Trengove too slow for a midfield role but he is co-capt (at the moment) so I guess he needs to be there. Needs to lift in 2014 though. Any constructive critisism would be welcomed.

FB- Terlich Frawley Garland

HBF- Grimes TMac Toumpas

C- Trengove Jones Watts

HFF- Howe Dawes Blease

FF- Kent Clark Hogan

R- Gawn Tyson Vince

Int: Michie Viney Cross

SUB: Evans

Still a FP and HBF short.

This might be a bit left field but I think our back line is too small and given our forwards I think Fitzy might do well at CHB. Macdonald at FB and Frawley and Garland as HBF plus two smalls. Fitzy's size is better suited to the big forwards in Tippett, Walker etc and his body is getting bigger. He's quick and athletic.

Good point. Worth thinking about. And far quicker than any of our tall backs

Interesting to see some still rate Jamar as first ruckman (or was that just a mistake?)

I personally think Jamar is undervalued on Demonland. Has had a couple of injury interrupted seasons. Still has 1-2 years left in his body I think.

Don't forget his amazing tap work with Moloney and ability to go forward and kick goals.

He's finished, IMO. Was at the end of 2012. In the ruck, he just falls in a heap straight off the centre bounce and then is unsighted around the ground.

Still a FP and HBF short.

I agree. We may need a tagger too, but let's see how McKenzie goes next season.

B: Colin Garland Tom Mcdonald Luke Tapscott

HB: jack Grimes James Frawley Jimmy Toumpas

C: Jack Watts Dom Tyson Viv Michie

HF: Jesse Hogan Chris Dawes Nathan Freeman

F: Jeremy Howe Mitch Clark Dean Kent

FOL: Mark Jamar Bernie Vince Nathan Jones

I/C: Jack Viney Jack Trengove Daniel Cross

SUB: Sam Blease

Assuming we draft Nathan Freeman at #9

Much better looking team, particularly like the half back line and the half forward line,

Think Viv Michie is going to prove to be a huge steal for us, as will Dom Tyson and Pick 9 for pick 2, watched alot of Tyson and personally rate him as a top 3 pick alone if he is able to stay fit.

• Like 2

I mentioned in another thread, perhaps Jordie with a more skilled, stronger bodied midfield around him will be able to do what he does best, hard tagging.

Yes, he will play a Cam Ling type role. And don't forget Freeman in your sides peoples

B: Colin Garland Tom Mcdonald Luke Tapscott

HB: jack Grimes James Frawley Jimmy Toumpas

C: Jack Watts Dom Tyson Viv Michie

HF: Jesse Hogan Chris Dawes Nathan Freeman

F: Jeremy Howe Mitch Clark Dean Kent

FOL: Mark Jamar Bernie Vince Nathan Jones

I/C: Jack Viney Jack Trengove Daniel Cross

SUB: Sam Blease

Assuming we draft Nathan Freeman at #9

Much better looking team, particularly like the half back line and the half forward line,

Think Viv Michie is going to prove to be a huge steal for us, as will Dom Tyson and Pick 9 for pick 2, watched alot of Tyson and personally rate him as a top 3 pick alone if he is able to stay fit.

Only just saw that D26. Like the way you think!

round 1.

fb- terlich, frawley, Dunn

hb- Grimes, Mcdonald, Garland

c- toumpas, Tyson, trengove

hf- howe, dawes, watts

ff- hogan, clark, tapscott

fol- Gawn, Jones, Viney

int- mckenzie, mitchie, vince

sub- blease

Looking at the sides people putting up, my optimism is returning. Im very happy with what Roos and co have acheived already.

Last year we did ok with Hogan, Toumpas, Terlich and Clisby but missed the boat the others, Burns and Rodan.