David Swallow

dazzledavey36

Yes Yes and Yes if we can get him.

Would gladly give up pick 2 for him as he is already proven and behind the hottest midfield talent in the country.

I would have thought they would be looking to trade a midfielder for a Frawley though and not sure Roos would give up his best key position player.

but for pick 2absolutely. They would want pick 2 + something reasonable though as Aish is totally unproven.

Wish I had your confidence.

If we don't improve- FA is going to prove to be death for us, a revolving door of experience out, crap in!

Next season will be a big improvement and I've got no doubt about this now that we have (mostly) the right people in the right places.

Some clever recruiting, a bit of luck at the draft and most of all some confidence and team bonding, we could be better than expected next season. Port did it, we can too.

• Like 1

Next season will be a big improvement and I've got no doubt about this now that we have (mostly) the right people in the right places.

Some clever recruiting, a bit of luck at the draft and most of all some confidence and team bonding, we could be better than expected next season. Port did it, we can too.

A few more cattle and our boys trusting each other and playing with poise rather than blind fear will make a huge difference.

Swallow would be a good pick up but lets hope we don't give up too much.

Wasn't Swallow touted as having the potential of being one of the best players of all time during mock drafts.

Something like that. Swallow's first season was exceptional and he averaged just under 20 disposals and 4 tackles in a very young midfield. His second year was hampered by injury and this season was played off the half back and was a bit scratchy for form, however still averaged 19.3 disposals and 3.4 tackles.

There is still an absolute gun in Swallow and if we could get him for pick two it would be a great deal for us.

• Like 1

I believe the reason he isn't playing a full time midfield role is because he needs to manage a knee problem. (Possibly degenerative)

Yes, I heard he had knee issues as well. Not sure of extent or how this may impact his ability to run. I also think Bluey McKenna has talked of his knee problems.

How about we keep pick 2 and do a Watts for Swallow trade?

Both underperforming #1 picks who address a weakness in their prospective side? We might need to throw in something as a sweetner (3rd round pick) as Swallow has clearly shown more than Watts to date.

• Like 1

How about we keep pick 2 and do a Watts for Swallow trade?

Both underperforming #1 picks who address a weakness in their prospective side? We might need to throw in something as a sweetner (3rd round pick) as Swallow has clearly shown more than Watts to date.

Why don't we wait until trade period and discover why Roos wants Watts to stay? I suggest that his assessment of our list may be better-informed than our views (even though i regard Swallow as an excellent pick-up if we can achieve it)?

I'd do the deal for pick 2. There's still a good chance he'll become top shelf I think, so it's trading a maybe for a maybe (as opposed to the Selwood trade which is a maybe for a definitely not), only this maybe has a couple of years development up his sleeve. I see it as a lowish risk way of skipping a couple of steps in the long winded improvement process.

• Like 4

I'd do the deal, no question.

Swallow had a lacklustre year, but was playing in a foreign position on a HBF because they needed drive out of there.

McKenna has already stated their priority in the trade period is to bring in a high quality HBF (or a couple of years ago mentioned as the QB role) to give them drive, so that Swallow can slip back into the middle.

I'd probably prefer Aish to Swallow to be honest, he has class but Aish looks an absolute jet.

But is Aish as good as a ball winner as Swallow, our greatest area of need. If the answer is no, then grab Swallow. We've got Blease and Dom Barry to provide speed.

I'd probably prefer Aish to Swallow to be honest, he has class but Aish looks an absolute jet.

But is Aish as good as a ball winner as Swallow, our greatest area of need. If the answer is no, then grab Swallow. We've got Blease and Dom Barry to provide speed.

On the basis it's a direct swap for pick 2 (no more) and that Swallow's knee injury is not long term or degenerative, I'd take Swallow hands down.

He already has 50 odd games under his belt and about to step into those break out years (e.g. his brother broke out in his 4th and 5th seasons). He is also a far superior ball winner... exactly what we require.

As for Aish if he came in we would see him playing more of a wing role or running of half back (initially) like Gibbs, I just don't feel we have the time or list to wait for his development.

• Like 1

Based on what he has shown to date, yes I would still go for Swallow over Aish. Swallow has at least shown that he can become a top flight midfielder in the AFL. Aish has shown nothing at AFL level to date.

And if Swallow's injuries are not long-term, then I would view him as just as much of a valuable investment for the future as the no.2 pick in this years draft. There's only 2 years difference in age, which in the scheme of things is not that much.

Based on what he has shown to date, yes I would still go for Swallow over Aish. Swallow has at least shown that he can become a top flight midfielder in the AFL. Aish has shown nothing at AFL level to date.

And if Swallow's injuries are not long-term, then I would view him as just as much of a valuable investment for the future as the no.2 pick in this years draft. There's only 2 years difference in age, which in the scheme of things is not that much.

On top of that, Swallow's size is much more preferable than Aish. Obviously Aish's skills are supposed to be top notch but I think we have to get a couple of extractors (which Swallow can definitely be) first.

Would be over the moon if we were to get him. Big body, super fit (didnt see it as much this year because of his knee, should be able to return to full strength), exactly what we need. I'd trade pick 2 in a heartbeat, Aish would take at least 3 years to reach the level Swallow is now, in my opinion.