• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Should we pick up Tom Boyd if we get pick 1 as PP (or he is still there at 2)?

CBDees

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/melbourne-could-snatch-wonderkid-tom-boyd-from-gws-if-handed-a-priority-draft-pick-by-the-afl/story-e6frf3e3-1226688390906

Most Demonland posters and commentators have been arguing that if we get pick 1 then we should trade rights to Boyd for an established midfielder. I dont't agree!

If we take Boyd with our first pick and focus picks 3 and 19 on drafting/trading for quality hard-bodied midfielders we will be starting from the position of potentially having:

1. the most potent Forwardline in the league, with Boyd and Hogan (backed by Clark, Dawes, Watts & Howe);
  2. a not-too-shabby Backline with Garland, Frawley McDonald and Grimes;
  3. the nucleus of a midfield with onballers, N. Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Silvia &Trengove (with a full pre-season & releived of captain duties);
  4. emerging quality rucks in Gawn & Spencer;

and

• Paul Roos as coach

Why wouldn't the above scenario entice serious mids to manouvre to get onboard the Dees rather than to tell their player agents to avoid us? Surely Taylor Adams and others who we may look at would find the MFC option attractive (after all Port Adelaide has shown everbody that a new coach can acheive impressive results with an established with astute manipulation during the tade/draft periods!

I think we already have 1 too many talls and if we got Boyd we would need to trade 1 or 2. We won't get to much for trading one of our talls either.

I doubt GWS would pass on Boyd (maybe trade pick tho) but GWS already has a good midfield in the making so don't need Aish.

I think we have to trade if we get pick 1 - there is high demand for Boyd and we will get good value - as Roos said maybe 1-2 good mids.

But then again I dont think the AFL will give us pick 1 - probably pick 3 or an end of round pick 19.

You said it above - we have a good backline and forward. We need to inject some young but A grade mids into the side and that might be hard to do with pick 19 or 20.

We need a Marc Murphy or Taylor Adams not another C grader.

I think we already have 1 too many talls and if we got Boyd we would need to trade 1 or 2. We won't get to much for trading one of our talls either.

I doubt GWS would pass on Boyd (maybe trade pick tho) but GWS already has a good midfield in the making so don't need Aish.

I think we have to trade if we get pick 1 - there is high demand for Boyd and we will get good value - as Roos said maybe 1-2 good mids.

But then again I dont think the AFL will give us pick 1 - probably pick 3 or an end of round pick 19.

You said it above - we have a good backline and forward. We need to inject some young but A grade mids into the side and that might be hard to do with pick 19 or 20.

We need a Marc Murphy or Taylor Adams not another C grader.

I think you have answered the question here. Our great forward talent is a myth, we have a lot of tall forwards but not a lot of talented tall forwards. If Boyd is available to us and he is best available player we take him. Boyd and Hogan looks good to me.

• Like 3

Keep Boyd as it's not often that these type of players become available. Unless you finish near the bottom there is no chance of getting a player like Boyd. Like that saying at Hawthorn. "What would you do if God came to Hawthorn?" Answer: Move Peter Hudson to CHF.

Hogan,Dawes,& Clark can all play different positions. Clark can play ruck, Dawes or Hogan could play a key back role etc.

While is may take a year longer to get the midfield right it should not be at the expense of a Boyd.

I think you have answered the question here. Our great forward talent is a myth, we have a lot of tall forwards but not a lot of talented tall forwards. If Boyd is available to us and he is best available player we take him. Boyd and Hogan looks good to me.

The forward line has never been on the park together so your argument is pretty poor. I think we have enough forward line power without Boyd and also consider that it's a once in a life time opportunity to be able to trade a player on for some real midfield Star/s.

I'd hate to see Boyd become another Patton and struggle to get on the park in is first couple of seasons whilst our midfield continues to get walloped by the power sides.

• Like 1

Watching the Swans' performance on Friday night makes you question if a forward line of Dawes, Hogan and Clark will be too tall. I don't think you can take Boyd (if we can get him) without trading something out or playing Clark in the ruck.

My point is that Hawthorn have done well through picking up the top two forwards (Franklin and Roughhead) in the same draft. They have been lynchpins in the Hawks being where they are today. Better to have Boyd and Hogan in our forwardline and worrying the opposition rather than playing against us. The mids will come to us when they see who they have got to deliver to.

My point is that Hawthorn have done well through picking up the top two forwards (Franklin and Roughhead) in the same draft. They have been lynchpins in the Hawks being where they are today. Better to have Boyd and Franklin in our forwardline and worrying the opposition rather than playing against us. The mids will come to us when they see who they have got to deliver to.

I presume you meant Hogan rather than Franklin the second time. Buddy is a special player in that he is really a 200cm small forward and Roughead is very mobile also. I am not against taking Boyd if he is that good, but IMO we would need to trade out other players for midfielders for it to work.

If we ended up with Boyd you'd have to look at playing Hogan st CHB

Nothing at all wrong with that (plus we have depth for the first time (if we include the injury-prone Clark and Dawes)!

• Like 1

Take the best available player with the first round picks. If that's Boyd then you take him, you don't pass on a potential superstar because we have a lot of players in that position already especially when they're B-grade or perennially injured.

Our tall forward set up could theoretically be Boyd FF, Hogan CHF, Dawes/Fitzpatrick 3rd tall, Clark ruck switching with Fitzpatrick/Boyd forward. You could also look at having one (Dawes?) playing back or using them as depth.

Yes we need midfielders but you have to take best available with those early picks.

• Like 2

Clark to come back as a ruckman and one of Dawes, Watts, Hogan to spend some time down back from now on. Remember Dawes and Clark are more than likely not going to be at their prime when we are challenging anyway (I hope they are but realistically they will both be 30+)

We could have the equivalent of Roughead/Franklin with Hogan/Boyd - if we can get him GET HIM!! - once we have him then by all means get midfielders

• Like 1

Clark to come back as a ruckman and one of Dawes, Watts, Hogan to spend some time down back from now on. Remember Dawes and Clark are more than likely not going to be at their prime when we are challenging anyway (I hope they are but realistically they will both be 30+)

We could have the equivalent of Roughead/Franklin with Hogan/Boyd - if we can get him GET HIM!! - once we have him then by all means get midfielders

The only problem I have with this is it looks like Hogan could be one of the best key forwards of his generation - would we really want to do a Melbourne and play him at CHB?

Am interested to see if Dawes could play back though, his set shot kicking and overhead marking may not be as much of an issue down there?

The forward line has never been on the park together so your argument is pretty poor. I think we have enough forward line power without Boyd and also consider that it's a once in a life time opportunity to be able to trade a player on for some real midfield Star/s.

I'd hate to see Boyd become another Patton and struggle to get on the park in is first couple of seasons whilst our midfield continues to get walloped by the power sides.

Not really, who are the A grade forwards we have on the list now? We don't have one, we have 2 who could be in Hogan and Clark but the others are nowhere near it and as 'Young Dee' identifies we wouldn't get much on the trade table for them.

The only problem I have with this is it looks like Hogan could be one of the best key forwards of his generation - would we really want to do a Melbourne and play him at CHB?

Am interested to see if Dawes could play back though, his set shot kicking and overhead marking may not be as much of an issue down there?

Yeah sorry that's what I meant to write - have Boyd/Hogan as the two locks in the FWD line and everyone else can find a spot in the team - EG - Clark can be a really good Ruck or Dawes/Watts as CHB or depth up forward.

Hmm...

Upside:

Hogan and Boyd together for ten years.

Downside:

Possible over-stacking of tall forwards for next couple of years. (Boyd, Hogan, Dawes, Clark, Fitzpatrick)

Mitigation:

Clarke and Fitzpatrick rotating through ruck. Possibly Clark close to full time ruck if Jamar remains injured/retires.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/melbourne-could-snatch-wonderkid-tom-boyd-from-gws-if-handed-a-priority-draft-pick-by-the-afl/story-e6frf3e3-1226688390906

Most Demonland posters and commentators have been arguing that if we get pick 1 then we should trade rights to Boyd for an established midfielder. I dont't agree!

If we take Boyd with our first pick and focus picks 3 and 19 on drafting/trading for quality hard-bodied midfielders we will be starting from the position of potentially having:

1. the most potent Forwardline in the league, with Boyd and Hogan (backed by Clark, Dawes, Watts & Howe);
  2. a not-too-shabby Backline with Garland, Frawley McDonald and Grimes;
  3. the nucleus of a midfield with onballers, N. Jones, Viney, Toumpas, Silvia &Trengove (with a full pre-season & releived of captain duties);
  4. emerging quality rucks in Gawn & Spencer;

and

• Paul Roos as coach

Why wouldn't the above scenario entice serious mids to manouvre to get onboard the Dees rather than to tell their player agents to avoid us? Surely Taylor Adams and others who we may look at would find the MFC option attractive (after all Port Adelaide has shown everbody that a new coach can acheive impressive results with an established with astute manipulation during the tade/draft periods!

I'm interested in this exact scenario as well CBDees.

whilst we can go both ways no-one is going to give us a gun that they'll need.

I see it as Clarke has 2014, then one more year after that on his Contract.

..... this time next year, will be a good time for him to go to a team who is playing for a premiership, like Freo. the end of 2014 would be a good time for us to recruit in top talent on the march, & any interstate who'd like to return home, would be good to chase... I think Both WA teams will be looking for a po0ewer forward who can also ruck.

next year will allow us to look at our tall stocks, with plenty of ability to trade from.

this trade period we should dedicate to fixing the culture, experience & leadership issues first & foremost. & the returns from fixing this, will be the players will be held of higher regard as well.

it wouldn't do him any harm starting out like Neita did. anyway, hogan won't be ready to play All 20147 games as an 18 yr old against the monsters of the AFL... most likely he'd play as a 3rd tall on a flank.

Lets NOT do to Hogan, what happened to Watts.

it wouldn't do him any harm starting out like Neita did. anyway, hogan won't be ready to play All 20147 games as an 18 yr old against the monsters of the AFL... most likely he'd play as a 3rd tall on a flank.

Lets NOT do to Hogan, what happened to Watts.

I don't think i'd be making an outrageous statement by saying that Hogan has a lot more going for him then Watts. I'd also go as far to say that Hogan is more ready to be a KPP now then Watts will ever be

• Like 2