Hogan Vs Daniher Vs Boyd Vs Patton

PartyTimeJohnny

He played back quite a bit during his junior days, and did very well there apparently. His junior highlights video (YouTube?) shows him down back a lot. Versatile.

Also played some midfield because of his running capacity. I'm pretty sure he was named AA CHB.

In regards to comparing Hogan and Boyd I don't think you can really split them (emotions and bias aside). Boyd has performed better at the U18 level, although Hogan has shown he can tear it up against men in the VFL.

I think the question one must ask themselves is what would they prefer, a center half forward (CHF) or a full forward (FF)?

If the answer is a CHF the choice is easily Hogan, he is has the ideal height (195 cm) for a CHF, aerobically athletic and has shown he can roam around the ground with ease whilst notching up plenty of possessions and still able to kick a bag full.

If the answer is a FF the choice is easily Boyd, he may not be as aerobically fit but at his height (199 cm), with his leap and at the point where he marks the ball, we will see him kick tons in years to come. He will be the ideal fit for your big key forward leading out of the goal square.

Although in regards to height I often think it is one of the most overrated values when looking at draftees. Majority of the games best ever known goal kickers where between the heights of 185 cm to 191 cm like Gary Ablett Snr (185 cm), Jason Dunstall (188 cm), and Tony Lockett (191 cm). Even our very own Allen Jakocich stood at 187 cm or Essendon's John Coleman was only 185 cm.

• Like 1

In regards to comparing Hogan and Boyd I don't think you can really split them (emotions and bias aside). Boyd has performed better at the U18 level, although Hogan has shown he can tear it up against men in the VFL.

I think the question one must ask themselves is what would they prefer, a center half forward (CHF) or a full forward (FF)?

If the answer is a CHF the choice is easily Hogan, he is has the ideal height (195 cm) for a CHF, aerobically athletic and has shown he can roam around the ground with ease whilst notching up plenty of possessions and still able to kick a bag full.

If the answer is a FF the choice is easily Boyd, he may not be as aerobically fit but at his height (199 cm), with his leap and at the point where he marks the ball, we will see him kick tons in years to come. He will be the ideal fit for your big key forward leading out of the goal square.

Although in regards to height I often think it is one of the most overrated values when looking at draftees. Majority of the games best ever known goal kickers where between the heights of 185 cm to 191 cm like Gary Ablett Snr (185 cm), Jason Dunstall (188 cm), and Tony Lockett (191 cm). Even our very own Allen Jakocich stood at 187 cm or Essendon's John Coleman was only 185 cm.

That was the old days before everyone ate too many Coles chickens. Every team now has key defenders around 195cm with excellent agility such as Chip Frawley. Very hard to be a gun key forward at less than that height and very hard to be a good medium sized forward these days. A lot of teams don't have any of them and if they do they usually are required to play in the midfield. I like Hogan over Boyd because I like Hogan's ability to get in the game when he's not just playing as a lead and mark or contested mark player. He looks to have that ability to be the loose man in defense or even do spurts in the midfield if his body holds up. But most importantly he'll be a thread around the packs and in contested play as well.

Playing as a designated full forward is getting very hard. I've got no doubt with a fast ambitious game plan than Jack Riewoldt could easily get 80 goals most years and maybe more. He's got that ability to time a lead and mark strongly out of the square. But Richmond can't afford for him and the team to play that way so instead he comes up the ground and does his share of work and also leads back towards the goals and other things. It's unfortunate and I hope one day there's a coach with enough innovation to play a super attacking game plan that features a key forward going bananas! Otherwise we'll all be looking for Jeremy Cameron's, big and fast guys who could easily play a goal square full forward but are required to do so much more.

• Like 1

IF we are to get pick 1, I'm warming to the idea of using it on Boyd.

Otherwise, we'd want to get a hell of a lot for it, if we trade it.

Pick 1 for Sam Mayes and pick 8?

Pick 1 for MacRae and pick 5?

Pick 1 for Armitage and pick 4?

Pick 1 for Yarran and pick 12?

Pick 1 for Scooter Selwood and pick 7?

We'd be playing hardball, any way it goes.

personally imo all of those are losses for us, excluding Armitage. Yes we do need mids desperately, but still to have boyd, hogan, Dawes and Clark in the fwd line would send shivers down all defences. yes we do need to find a way to get it down there, but if things go right for us in free agency etc we coudlf ix that

It is quite simple really. Draft Boyd as Full Forward. Start Hogan as Centre-Half Forward! Best forward line-up in AFL history after they get a couple of years under their belts and we will have them for 10+ years particularly if we can consistently replicate our September performances of the 1950s and 1960s.

personally imo all of those are losses for us, excluding Armitage. Yes we do need mids desperately, but still to have boyd, hogan, Dawes and Clark in the fwd line would send shivers down all defences. yes we do need to find a way to get it down there, but if things go right for us in free agency etc we coudlf ix that

Well you underestimate just how bad our midfield is and you also realise that if we are kicking the ball forward to 4 talls that means the forward pressure won't be there and it also divides the number of marks by 4 because you have to separate the talls. Otherwise 2 on 2 is much easier for the defenders no matter how stretched they are.

Clark would have to ruck and probably full time for that to work. That's the only way all 4 could play together.

Edited by the master

IF we are to get pick 1, I'm warming to the idea of using it on Boyd.

Otherwise, we'd want to get a hell of a lot for it, if we trade it.

Pick 1 for Sam Mayes and pick 8?

Pick 1 for MacRae and pick 5?

Pick 1 for Armitage and pick 4?

Pick 1 for Yarran and pick 12?

Pick 1 for Scooter Selwood and pick 7?

We'd be playing hardball, any way it goes.

Not keen on the Yarran one but I'd take all the rest of those in a flash. Particularly the Armitage and Selwood ones. Getting a decent experienced mid and only going back a few picks in the draft would be ideal. Really like Sam Mayes as well so I'd love that one.

I wonder if we did get pick 1 if we could start a bidding war like that. Surely all those teams you named besides West Coast and you can probably add Freo are in desperate need of a key forward.

Hogan is stronger than Patton and Boyd

in fact hes the strongest kid I have ever seen come through

Whoever did those ratings is clueless

Agreed.

Article quotes a recruiter calling him the strongest he'd ever seen. Ratings place him second-last on strength. Fail.

Good summation, although I'd point out that Hogan only had the one year at under 18 level as a bottom ager and was still excellent.

I'm sure if Hogan had not been picked up in the mini draft and had played under 18's this year, the recruiters would be raving about him more than Boyd.

Anyone remember when Hogan was hailed as 'once in a generation', and then the very next year Tom Boyd comes through?

I try so hard not to get sucked in by the hyperbolic media, but in this case I couldn't help myself. Serves me right I guess.

Still hoping Hogan will be better. His highlights reel is already bordering on explicit content judging by the movement in my pants while viewing.

My wife is a very tolerant woman.

• Like 1

If Melb get pick 1 we take Boyd no question.

As has been mentioned Boyd and Hogan set us up for tall fwds for 10 years plus. Long after Clark and Dawes have retired.

You dont get many changes to draft power forwards. All the ones in the AFL are either father sons or low draft picks. You cant say the same about quality mids.

J. Brown F/S

T.Hawkins F/S

Daniher - F/S

T.Cloke - F/S

J. Kennedy - pick 4

Buddy- pick 5

Roughhead - pick 2

Patton - Pick 1

Cameron - 17yo pre draft

Hurley - Pick 5

N.Riewoldt - pick 1

M.Clark pick 9

J.Riewoldt - pick 13

• Like 1

I can't speak for him, but I thought Clark was recruited (and paid) to be a forward? Would he even WANT to ruck and we risk it with his foot?

Maybe I've been watching too many 90's games recently, but he reminds me of another great #11 (RIP). I thought all he wanted was stability in a position, and to get paid handsomely. He's getting the latter, and been injured too much for the former. After almost 3/4 of a year, will the former really be a problem?

That was the old days before everyone ate too many Coles chickens. Every team now has key defenders around 195cm with excellent agility such as Chip Frawley. Very hard to be a gun key forward at less than that height and very hard to be a good medium sized forward these days. A lot of teams don't have any of them and if they do they usually are required to play in the midfield. I like Hogan over Boyd because I like Hogan's ability to get in the game when he's not just playing as a lead and mark or contested mark player. He looks to have that ability to be the loose man in defense or even do spurts in the midfield if his body holds up. But most importantly he'll be a thread around the packs and in contested play as well.

Playing as a designated full forward is getting very hard. I've got no doubt with a fast ambitious game plan than Jack Riewoldt could easily get 80 goals most years and maybe more. He's got that ability to time a lead and mark strongly out of the square. But Richmond can't afford for him and the team to play that way so instead he comes up the ground and does his share of work and also leads back towards the goals and other things. It's unfortunate and I hope one day there's a coach with enough innovation to play a super attacking game plan that features a key forward going bananas! Otherwise we'll all be looking for Jeremy Cameron's, big and fast guys who could easily play a goal square full forward but are required to do so much more.

I'm quite sure Brendan Fevola (191 cm), Matthew Loyd (192 cm), Mathew Pavlich (192 cm), and Jarryd Roughead (193 cm) all had access to Coles chickens during their respective careers.

I just find it idiotic when I hear people harp on about Boyd being taller, or if Hogan was taller he would be better. I ask who would you choose out of a 193 cm Roughead vs. a 201 cm overrated Kurt Tippet?

funny how the player with the least exposed form always gets the highest rating.

Exciting time for the AFL if key-forward dominant players like 'Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett' era return though.

Edited by jacey

funny how the player with the least exposed form always gets the highest rating.

Exciting time for the AFL if key-forward dominant players like 'Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett' era return though.

Jeremy Cameron already running around too

Very exiting times ahead if you love big key forward that kick bags of goals.. and who doesnt love that?

• Like 1

I'm quite sure Brendan Fevola (191 cm), Matthew Loyd (192 cm), Mathew Pavlich (192 cm), and Jarryd Roughead (193 cm) all had access to Coles chickens during their respective careers.

I just find it idiotic when I hear people harp on about Boyd being taller, or if Hogan was taller he would be better. I ask who would you choose out of a 193 cm Roughead vs. a 201 cm overrated Kurt Tippet?

Fev and Lloyd both looked like the game was past them when they finished up. Old school full forwards that the game had moved passed. Roughead and Pav both move and at time play as midfielders. So yes you've made my point for me. And without a tape measure I wouldn't say Roughie is much less than 195cm, certainly 193 isn't much less. Where are the 190cm or less key forwards? Their days are over just as the 195cm rucks have been replaced by 200cm plus