Scott Selwood

McQueen

As mentioned in the Roos thread by SO39, it is rumoured we've been in touch with Scooter Selwood who apparently wants to come home to Vic.

WCE seem to have fallen away badly this year and his older brother Adam has retired from the Eagles and may also want to return East, leaving just one Selwood brother on the West coast.

So what's he worth?

Pick 2 for mine.

Selwood for pick 2 is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

And why is that Wise One?

Because he isn't worth pick 2.

There are no guarantees with drafting, but at the very least, a player we take with pick 2 should develop into the level that Scott Selwood currently plays at. At best, pick 2 could develop into Joel Selwood.

Because Selwood has the luxury of sitting under the best ruck combo ever seen.

I'd probably even look good sitting under Cox and Nick Nat.

Selwood's inside game is not like that of Joel's and will never reach that level.

People say Rory Sloane is a B grader, if that is the case, then Scott Selwood is a C grader and I wouldn't give up pick 2 for a C grade player.

• Like 2

If we gave up pick 2 we'd want something significant in return for Selwood. Maybe West Coasts first pick even.

I really like him as a player but he's not much more than McKenzie in all reality if he's tagging and then as a disposal winning mid he's ok but not amazing.

The question is are we so far down that we need to invest a prime draft pick on one guy so that we turn the culture around as well. And then the question becomes is Selwood capable of that? I'm hoping we hit a tipping point with the guys who are giving their all (Frawley, Garland, Terlich, Grimes, Jones, McKenzie, Dawes, Clark, Viney) that we get their on our own.

And if we are investing so much in Paul Roos to fix the culture and instill the correct way to play then why spend big overs on a guy who just isn't worth it.

Because he isn't worth pick 2.

There are no guarantees with drafting, but at the very least, a player we take with pick 2 should develop into the level that Scott Selwood currently plays at. At best, pick 2 could develop into Joel Selwood.

Selwood's inside game is not like that of Joel's and will never reach that level.

People say Rory Sloane is a B grader, if that is the case, then Scott Selwood is a C grader and I wouldn't give up pick 2 for a C grade player.

Selwood is only 23 years old and wins his own ball and uses it well. He's hard and unforgiving which is something our midfield lacks.

You guys obviously don't watch many Eagles games.

• Like 1

Scooter Selwood is a gun midfielder, he averages around 26 touches per game, 8 tackles and as mentioned above is extremely unforgiving in the way he goes about it, he's better and more consistent than any midfielder we have in team, including Nathan Jones.

He was taken at pick 22 in 2007 and has developed absolutely beautifully, he really came of age last season and has continued that this season, the only probable downside is that he is probably as good as he's going to get but, that's already better than what we have, West Coast will deservedly want something of high value in return.

• Like 3

So you've watch plenty of Scott Selwood? His contested possession work is every bit a feature of his game and better than Sloane. He tackles harder and is a better clearance player. It is a good comparison though, same age and taken in the same draft.

Selwood for me.

Scott Selwood was a gun Supercoach performer last year. He was averaging over 100 points a game. He scores goals, gets plenty of possessions and can tackle.

Scott Selwood is what I would hope a pick 2 would develop into. Averages mid 20 possessions a game with 8 tackles and can shut down any player in the league.

Would be a huge get.

Exactly.

A developed, plug and play elite midfielder and people don't think he's worth trading pick 2 for?

A ten year player for the MFC.

Pick 2 for Scott Selwood. Just when I thought it couldn't get sillier than Pick 2 for a 30 year old Mundy. Pick 20 to 25 would be about right. West Coast would pack his bags and have him out the door in a flash for Pick 2.

Huh?

A 30 year old Mundy? I can't see the connection.

Scott Selwood would be a great get but he is contracted for two more years and I wouldn't be that keen to part with pick 2. I could live with #2 and #20 for Selwood and #10.

FT's suggestion has some merit but ultimately it will be up to Roos and the recruiting department to make the call.

someone find me somewhere where it says Scooter Selwood wants out?

because i have no idea and i've been looking over bigfooty and google everywhere!

some for flower sake give some evidence?!?!?!?!?

Agree totally. Pick 2 should be for a young player such as Aish or towards an established midfielder with more class.

My comment on the silverware analogy is that it is also possible to over value potential and underestimate the level of risk in draft picks.

I could easily understand that as a club in our podition, we went for proven players who have shown what they will produce.

The skill of a great team is to make every individual look better than they are. (Think Of some of the Geelong guys post leaving that club).

So on Seleood for a higher order pick, well, if that was decided, I could live with that.

Funnily enough Scott was a more complete and higher regarded junior than any of his brothers. Joel had the benefit of slotting into a football juggernaut with amazing talent and coaches around him.

If he wants to come offer pick 2. We are proof high draft picks don't just become elite players.