Trading pick 1 & 3

Wolfmother

In Paul roos article about melbournes side he stated he would trade pick 1 or 3 for the best available midfielder (assuming we got the priority pick which I feel will come into place)

Who should we target??

Swallow for pick 3 ??

Fyfe for pick 3

Cotchin for pick 1 (I no wont happen)

I would try for kieren jack for pick 1

Interesting to see if it happens

I also really love the way Paul roos(yes I think he is a certainty) values picks... He goes through the last ten years of persons at that number and said would you prefer the traded player on the historical player now... Great way to work it out

• Like 1

Jack Steven for pick one would be great, don't think St Kilda would be silly enough to agree to that though. 3 for Sloane or Swallow would be pretty good gets too.

I agree with everything you've posted, I think we'll get pick 1 as a pp and also think Roos is a certainty. I think you're dreaming with Fyfe, Cotchin and Jack but I think Swallow's a huge chance if the rumours that he wants to come to melbourne are true (which I would be stoked about, I think he's gonna be an elite midfielder for sure). Outside of Swallow who I think is the most likely, I reckon Sloane or Brad Crouch, but Crouch would cost us pick 1 and we still may not even be able to get him. I think they would do Sloane for pick 1, because they would love Boyd and we're paying overs.

I also like the theory that the AFL may have told us (on the down low) that they'll give us pp 1 if we either trade it or pick 3 and have been sussing out potential trades for some time. This might be complete BS though

Edited by Frank Grimes

I'd be astonished if we got pick 1 as a Priority pick. Would believe it if someone said we would get an end of first round pick, though.

That'd leave us with 2, 18 (no essendon!) and 20.

Surely 2 has to be one of the collection of superb midfielders available to draft.

18 and 20... hmm...

I speak only with the meta-knowledge of having read a bunch of phantom drafts (official and amateur) but it really looks to me like most of the top 10 will be midfielders.

I wonder if we could do a deal were pick 18 and 20 and a player were moved on to secure pick 7 and a mature midfieder?

I'm firmly convinced that the only way we can dig ourselves out of our hole is to go for a 'high-low' strategy with recruiting. Target serious talent with everything we can use, trading out good-midrange picks, and then churning through late picks with a view to finding the occassional diamond in the rough.

So instead of

1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round,

I would want

1st round, 1st round, 4th round +

Or the equivalent.

Plus, we have to hit free agency with everything we can throw at it. Wow, Roos would make a difference there!

its tonally logcail

its mid first round, and a fair spot for a PP

pick 1 would be ridiculous

English please

its totally logical

its mid first round, and a fair spot for a PP

pick 1 would be ridiculous

It's not about fair, it's about a PP and it will be 1 or 2. The only reason it would not be one is the AFL may not want GWS trumped. Anything else makes absolutely no sense at all.

Jack and Cotchin? They're captains of their respective clubs and are currently on multi-year contracts. Should keep your targets somewhat grounded in reality.

I'm not totally sold on Swallow, personally. He looks to be a shadow of his brother. Though it might be too early to call, there's no way I'd be giving up pick 3 for him at this stage.

• Like 1

Jack and Cotchin? They're captains of their respective clubs and are currently on multi-year contracts. Should keep your targets somewhat grounded in reality.

I'm not totally sold on Swallow, personally. He looks to be a shadow of his brother. Though it might be too early to call, there's no way I'd be giving up pick 3 for him at this stage.

He's one I would think about a Watts swap for. Both are unfulfilled talent without a position to call their own.

• Like 1

That'd leave us with 2, 18 (no essendon!) and 20.

Surely 2 has to be one of the collection of superb midfielders available to draft.

18 and 20... hmm...

Aren't Adelaide still out of the first 2 rounds of this draft? or was it just one year of suspension for salary breaches?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-01/crows-in-trade-market

Thought I read it somewhere, so pick 17 is actually the first pick of the second round (barring any mini draft picks or activations of picks for FA, PP etc...)

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 1

I am certain if we get a PP it will be pick 1, we asked for a priority, not draft concession.

and assuming that would more than likely be picks 1 and 3 i would be open to trading both for the right offer, but not unhappy if we just picked up players.

Pick 1 would most likely get us a quality mid and a first round pick, and most teams are likely to have a dig,

pick 3 would have more currency for the Crows and Bombers looking for high picks, maybe Sloane or Zaharakis could find their way onto the table? just a guess though.

my ideal outcome would be Pick 1 to Brisbane for Tom Rockliff and pick 7 ( guessing their pick will be between 6-10 somewhere )

pick 3 to the Crows for Rory Sloane and 3rd round pick

Edited by Demonfan26

I agree with everything you've posted, I think we'll get pick 1 as a pp and also think Roos is a certainty. I think you're dreaming with Fyfe, Cotchin and Jack but I think Swallow's a huge chance if the rumours that he wants to come to melbourne are true (which I would be stoked about, I think he's gonna be an elite midfielder for sure). Outside of Swallow who I think is the most likely, I reckon Sloane or Brad Crouch, but Crouch would cost us pick 1 and we still may not even be able to get him. I think they would do Sloane for pick 1, because they would love Boyd and we're paying overs.

I also like the theory that the AFL may have told us (on the down low) that they'll give us pp 1 if we either trade it or pick 3 and have been sussing out potential trades for some time. This might be complete BS though

I've read twice today that GC Swallow had had a dodgy knee all year. Anyone know anything further about this?

i have a feeling we will be given Essendons first rounder as our PP

There's "AFL" logic in that idea. None of the other clubs could complain about being disadvantaged - just Melbourne advantaged. The AFL make stuff up as they go along - that would fit perfectly.

• Like 3

There's "AFL" logic in that idea. None of the other clubs could complain about being disadvantaged - just Melbourne advantaged. The AFL make stuff up as they go along - that would fit perfectly.

Why are some so concerned about what the other clubs think???

We are on track to get pick one, lets just argue about what we will do with Boyd.

I think the thing to consider is which teams would be into pick 1, and what sort of offers they might make.

Freo, Carlton, bulldogs, brisbane, adelaide, stkilda, collingwood, GCS, richmond, would all most likely be willing to deal

i'd be certainly looking at trying to prize a quality young mid and a high draft pick out of these sides if possible.

I agree with Roos - We should trade those high picks for proven young A grade mids like Swallow. (look at our high draft picks so far)

If we get pick 1 and Watts stays then we definitely don't need Boyd - so trading would be a no brainier (unless we trade one or two of our current tall forwards but Boyd will have good value).

This weekend just highlighted the gaping hole that is our midfield - we need to be able to get players in who will have an immediate impact (Swallow). This is not only necessary for the supporters but also for the players - it will get their tails wagging and also help with development.

We also need an on field leader (preferably a mid) - Selwood has been mentioned.

Edited by Young Dee

Why are some so concerned about what the other clubs think???

We are on track to get pick one, lets just argue about what we will do with Boyd.

We may not be, but the AFL will be and they're the decision maker.

• Like 2

We may not be, but the AFL will be and they're the decision maker.

Highly doubt they will give 2 shits what the other clubs think mate, if they get us right they will make more money, that's all they will be concerned with, right now we are a liability, PP1 has the power and potential to change that, should make us far more competitive next year.