Craig for the top job in 2014

Cheap Seats

I am not a coach UH but i think BB and Akum and others have shown some serious analysis

Analysis of Craig I have no issue with

The inability to take in an opposing opinion when making that analysis is what I have a problem with - do I need to highlight onesided unrealistic options for you - which passes for balanced factual anaylsis on this site?

I couldn't give a flying if you don't think Craig can coach - thats fine to have that opinion. But when examples of coaching are pointed out as flaws (like was used previously in this thread) against Freo - I seriously questions the validity of the statement and the intelligence level

I think that's fair don't you?

PS - I actually don't care anymore - people on this site like to argue one sided and not even aruge the point to win - I cbf I've got beers to drink and a life to live

Just a heads up for some out there - Craig is an option for 2014

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 2

I would also like to say I enjoyed your post and thought it was a pretty well thought out post....

My only comments would be

You mention no need to clean out the list - thats ok I kind of agree with that - but in your opinion if the players aren't at fault is is all the coaches fault they aren't executing on game day? Do you think the coaches match ups on game day are responsible for the MFC have little to no winners (in their contests on game day?)

And lastly I didn't hear you mention the experience of the team - For mine Jones and Garland have now played 100 games and are really showing something because they now have that AFL hardened experience behind them - do you think its fair our mids rely on blokes who've played less then 50 games to perfom week in and week out?

Do you think the experience level of the team is high enough that conistent week to week execution of a game plan is possible? And in your analysis of Craig - has he had a fair chance to implement real change in culture and game plan or would his focus be on getting the players up week to week?

Again I thought you posted a good argument - but as i've said all thread there are always another side of the story to consider............. Where you see Craig falling the team - I see the team failing Craig

Edited by Unleash Hell

for mine the decision comes to who can develop the players the most in the next 3 years

I'd take it a step further ...who can develop our game. We simply dont have one ( not effectual at least )

• Like 3

for mine the decision comes to who can develop the players the most in the next 3 years

I'd take it a step further ...who can develop our game. We simply dont have one ( not effectual at least )

I agree stongly with these two points

And thats where it sucks to be a supporter as we won't know who really is the best candidate for that.

As i've said all along in this thread - At this stage I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose Craig - Chocco would equally be as good though! have a good weekend lads

I sense the many have focused, rightly or wrongly on the COACH, the incoming one. I too. In reality though its the COACHES. The nature of the composition of the panel will give us ( hopefully ) an insight as to where the club sees us going and how.

Despite having a large contingent of coaching this past couple of years i dont think it really got the message through coherently. Just as PJ seeks to sort out how the Admin and FD side of things works , so to must the effectiveness of coaching , not just who the main man is.

I wonder who they are. Some must have a pretty good idea they are working at the MFC next year, if not confirmed.

• Like 1

does rather.

Interesting. .

hmm who was it who called it as Adam Simpson ?? might be on the money

Edited by belzebub59

craig will get the nod unless someone is so good they cant say no, and it may not be a bad thing, not my preference but not my decision either

So...

Craig Senior/Mentor

maybe Adam Simpson Senior Coach ( with L's )

a cast of promising luminaries including maybe the Ranga ??

hmmmm :blink:

Unless 2 of Adam Simpson, Lenny Hayes and Cameron Ling are somehow part of the coaching structure (line or assistance coaches), I won't be happy with Craig as coach. We need someone to help build culture, not just coach the team.

If Craig gets the nod I will be incredibly disappointed. I know it's hard to make meaningful changes mid season, but his game day moves and team selections leave a lot to be desired.

There are 3 good experienced, successful coaches available, two who have won a flag. Two who are keen. Why we wouldn't go for that, I don't know.

Adam Simpson or whoever else comes in as the predecessor, must have some seriously big wraps on him and a serious ability to influence the club straight away. Otherwise we have once again gone the cheap easy option.

• Like 6

I got a feeling from the article that PJ and co are looking at options if they don't want Eade or Williams. Edited by DemonOX

Few points that need to be adressed when considering candidates

1. what is their capacity to sell hope to the members, supporters sponsors

for mine that would be

Choco

Eade

Craig

2.What is their track record like in developing players

Choco

Eade

Craig

who has the most successful track record as a coach

Choco

Eade

Craig

the only points i would say that make Craig stand out are he is going to be cheaper and he has already got a relationship with the players, imo these two shouldn't factor into the end decision, it's about no cutting corners and getting the best possible coach to take our club forward, no more gambles.

Few points that need to be adressed when considering candidates

1. what is their capacity to sell hope to the members, supporters sponsors

for mine that would be

Choco

Eade

Craig

2.What is their track record like in developing players

Choco

Eade

Craig

who has the most successful track record as a coach

Choco

Eade

Craig

the only points i would say that make Craig stand out are he is going to be cheaper and he has already got a relationship with the players, imo these two shouldn't factor into the end decision, it's about no cutting corners and getting the best possible coach to take our club forward, no more gambles.

What's the theme here I can't see it!!!!

It's done I'll sign Williams tomorrow!

U can close the thread now!

Choco has won a flag.

1 flag ( against the great lions team ) 2 grand final appearances, five prelim appearances, win ratio of above 50% overall, and has a fantastic reputation for developing young talent and being liked amoung the players.

his record speaks for itself and really puts craigs to shame a little bit imo

• Like 1

1 flag ( against the great lions team ) 2 grand final appearances, five prelim appearances, win ratio of above 50% overall, and has a fantastic reputation for developing young talent and being liked amoung the players.

his record speaks for itself and really puts craigs to shame a little bit imo

Lets be honest, coaches are made to Look good by the cattle they have on the park.

I reckon premierships aren't a great benchmark it's not the be all and end all. The difference between say Roos, woosha, chocko, lethal....there's not a lot of similarities IMO. I'm more interested in who gets the most out of what people perceive to be mediocre list. Eade and roos and maybe Craig look good to me

I reckon Craig is just as good as chocko, but his crowbots team wasn't quite as good as the power side that went all the way. Just like good players who don't win flags are often better than some that do, coaches shouldn't be defined by fags

Lets be honest, coaches are made to Look good by the cattle they have on the park.

I reckon premierships aren't a great benchmark it's not the be all and end all. The difference between say Roos, woosha, chocko, lethal....there's not a lot of similarities IMO. I'm more interested in who gets the most out of what people perceive to be mediocre list. Eade and roos and maybe Craig look good to me

I reckon Craig is just as good as chocko, but his crowbots team wasn't quite as good as the power side that went all the way. Just like good players who don't win flags are often better than some that do, coaches shouldn't be defined by fags

In our case winning a flag would be a huge tick, some clubs it's less important but if we signed a coach who has won a premiership they would carry alot more respect from our young group than say a craig or eade could right away, players, supporters, sponsors can all say without a doubt, " this bloke knows what it takes "

80% of our on field problems at least come down to lack of confidence and lack of a good coach, Williams would instantly provide both of those things.

Craig and Eade are good coaches, would do a good job i'm sure but Williams has a fantastic record in every way that suits us perfectly.

I cant see the team coming out and breathing fire under Craig.

I can't see anyone on the list breathing fire full stop!

Craig would be a fairly uninspiring choice, but he could be just what is needed at present............steady, professional, and experienced as we got about rebuilding the club.

It'd be disappointing if we settled with Craig. There was clear improvement in perhaps the first three games he coached, but I haven't seen enough to suggest it'd be a good choice. He seems to be a better figure than Neeld to guide the players,but the fact that we've only seen very subtle changes in ball movement, Watts loose in defence (and Craig defending it) as well as conservation football late in games and poor selection choices doesn't give me a good impression about him being able to help us become something different. Hasn't been as aggressive an innovator for change as i'd hoped.

Edited by TBD Aniher-Watts
  • Like 1

craig will get the nod unless someone is so good they cant say no, and it may not be a bad thing, not my preference but not my decision either

No doubt craigy is qualified, has the people skills, ethics and 'career' sports background.

Have a sense that he is a bit of an 'accidental coach'.

Doesn't seem to driven for the ultimate glory, more about KPI's, performance and development which is good and what we need to a certain extent.

Not sure if he is up with footy's latest strategies and tactics (but FIIK)

Might make us a finals regular, which itself is a great leap forward, but can we get the Cup with him? or is even that a question worth asking at this stage?

Edited by RickyJ45