Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Craig for the top job in 2014

Cheap Seats

Thought he deserves his own thread to discuss his potential for the top job in 2014

I would be very disappointed if the MFC didn't look at him. From what I've heard from the players (I don't have regular contact but I do speak with a few of them occasionally) and they all rate NC highly.

I still think Roos should be the number 1 target, I also think Choco and Rocket should be interviewed. I don't actually care too much who gets the job but I would be very disappointed if the MFC did it half assed and didn't look at NC at all.

For a start ignore the results of 2013 under NC & MN. Injuries, form, lack of confidence etc etc have played a big part in these results.

From the outside NC looks like he has a good relationship with the players - I've been told he has a clear vision and style he wishes to play and is known in the industry as being a good developer of youth. He was solid at the Crows even though he did cop a lot of crissum in the end (but all our candidates have)

He'd also have a leg up on the other 3 candidates as he already knows the playing group from the inside and what it lacks.

Anyway that's all I wanted - there is a lot of talk of Roos, Eade and Choco, I thought NC deserved a bit more of a wrap. I don't know what the club will do (if they appoint a successor as well as Eade, Roos, NC or Choco) but I don't think we'd get it wrong by sticking with NC.

All 4 candidates are solid and I personally wouldn't be disappointed with NC

• Like 1

I have no problems with Craig provided that his good relationship with the players* doesn't mean he has too much of a friendly mentoring type of relationship that means he can't also be a strong authoritarian type coach when required (ie isn't too soft on them).

*I think our playing group is fragile mentally. A coach with a good relationship is very important to get them to want to play for him and build the culture where they put themselves on the line for the team.

Agree Deanox

The players I've spoken to all rate NC highly and hope he gets the job.

I actually don't know what NC will bring if he does get the job - that's up to the Melbourne board to decide if he's the right man. But from what I've heard he covers those boxes Deanox

I also personally think it would be negligent of the club not to interview him - but I don't want to start another admin argument

Craig's chances blew up in smoke the day we let GWS run all over us in the last qtr which followed a 4.4.28 effort the previous week.

Have to agree with this somewhat. NC seems to have a fantastic relationship with the boys as said earlier, however his gameday coaching and selections are all over the shop. I think the role he is in now is perfect for him as he has that relationship and respect from the players, and a fantastic grasp on sports science and what's required to be successful and this helps with their development however I don't think as a COACH he is that great. This is not just based on a handful of games with us either but also in the later years at Adelaide.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear Dave Missons take on the north Melbourne and GWS losses from a fitness performance view.

I'm sure he would track numbers at training, and these matches followed the slog in Geelong and the Darwin adventure.

Not an excuse for the tripe served up at etihad, but if it can be measured it may have less bearing on NC than I originally thought.

• Like 1

With all respect to NC and I hope he remains at the club but I don't rate this group of players judgement to be perfectly honest.

This playing list have been nothing short of shocking to watch. They do not do what is expected of them at this level of football.

My expectations of this club are currently rock bottom and it will take more than NC to be appointed as senior coach to inspire me.

• Like 1

With all respect to NC and I hope he remains at the club but I don't rate this group of players judgement to be perfectly honest.

This playing list have been nothing short of shocking to watch. They do not do what is expected of them at this level of football.

My expectations of this club are currently rock bottom and it will take more than NC to be appointed as senior coach to inspire me.

Not sure I trust Craig's judgement of players, either. Didn't he recommend we recruit James Sellar? (Don't get me wrong, I think Sellar has worked as hard as anyone. He just doesn't have the talent).

Craig's chances blew up in smoke the day we let GWS run all over us in the last qtr which followed a 4.4.28 effort the previous week.

my biggest question about him, his refusal to have a sausage sizzle after bad losses

• Like 1

Not sure I trust Craig's judgement of players, either. Didn't he recommend we recruit James Sellar? (Don't get me wrong, I think Sellar has worked as hard as anyone. He just doesn't have the talent).

apparently he wasn't the push behind that, but to be honest, he cost us nothing put on some solid Ok performance and was probably a half decent fall back on the list as we were lacking mature key position players at the time (Mcdonald has come on since, as have gawn and Spencer, and we have recruited Clark and Dawes despite not playing much).

The GWS and NM has hurt the perception of him but if those on the inside see him as a good option to fix our culture in the next 3 or 4 years I would completely understand.

For me, it has always been Roos, Eade, Williams, or Craig. I just want a coach that knows how to instil some belief, and install a good culture.

Maybe Craig is more suited to exactly that.

I think Craigy's loyalty to a playing group hurt him at Adelaide and might hurt him again if he stayed on as senior coach. Stability is great but now is the time with nothing to lose to really have a look at a few different guys and different positions.

No - Craig's reputation was burnt when he became Neeld's assistant.

Would love him to stay on as assistant Coach though.

We really need someone who can give the fans hope and Craig being a part of the old regime just doesn't work.

If we can get him to stay on as assistant coach or as part of the development under Roos that would be a dream come true.

Seems like a really nice guy (likable unlike Neeld) and of course is knowledgeable with his vast experience.

But just not that breath of fresh air that we so desperately need.

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

Neil Craig is a mentor within the MFC, i hope he stays in that job.

He is not the person for the Senior Coaching job in 2014 onwards...

I agree but it will be up to the new coach as to whether Craig stays.

A bit sick of us paying out contracts to personnel for SFA in return.

No - Craig's reputation was burnt when he became Neeld's assistant

Maybe I missed something. But, when was Craig ever Neeld's assistant...?

• Like 2

Maybe I missed something. But, when was Craig ever Neeld's assistant...?

I am not sure if he was ever assistant coach if that's what you are implying but I meant he was under Neeld (an assistant)

I had a fairly long chat to Neil Craig out at Skoda Stadium on the Friday before the GWS game.

With the right assistants and an off-season (with drafts and trades), I feel Craig can certainly get the job done as much as the others. He has a plan already in place for the MFC, though it just comes down to the MFC deciding on whether to trust in NC and his plan, or to go down a completely different path.

As Craig has always said, until the MFC state exactly what they are looking for in regards to the senior coaching position, he won't even consider himself a candidate. He feels there is one way, and one way only to make it work.

It's almost impossible not to buy into it yourself when that man speaks, as he has such a strong convincing personality. But he seemed very serious and quite happy to talk to a member about it.

One question from the media conference on the weekend I did quite like was "How were you able to keep Ablett to only 19 touches, which every other team has failed to do this year?"

• Like 6

One question from the media conference on the weekend I did quite like was "How were you able to keep Ablett to only 19 touches, which every other team has failed to do this year?"

I am pretty sure that was a stab in the back...

It was then followed up by something along the lines of - Ablett wasn't to happy with his treatment during the game, what do you have to say to that?

This playing list is a joke.... I've never seen a more heartless sad team, play in the AFL....

Our administrations has turned the club into a charity and our playing list has killed two coaching careers....

Does Craig want the job?

Perhaps the reason why the players rate him is because the only other senior coach most of them have had at the club was Bailey and or Neeld. Besides, who in their right mind would pick a coach based upon the rating of the worst list in the competition?

I am pretty sure that was a stab in the back...

It was then followed up by something along the lines of - Ablett wasn't to happy with his treatment during the game, what do you have to say to that?

Yeah I guess it was, though they are the media. Much easier to sell 'Ablett was mistreated' then 'Melbourne done good for once'

• Like 3

I really think that analyising Craig's coaching performance in 2013 is pretty limited and silly.

I guess the best way to explain my point is - would Roos, Eade or Choco gotten better performances out of this list this year with the unavailability of players and poor form???

Craig shouldn't be judged solely on his 2013 Win loss record - he offers just as much as the other 3 IMO

• Like 4

As posted in a thread a few weeks back, I have been keeping track of our post-Neeld performances using as a measuring device our score and inside-50s against the league averages.

That league average is SCORE 14.10.94, INSIDE 50s: 51

Now here are our numbers

r20 - 53 - 10.17
r19 - 48 - 12.15

r17 - 50 - 11.9

r15 - 36 - 13.7
r14 - 56 - 15.13
r13 - 45 - 10.9

I have taken the liberty of taking out the 2 AWFUL efforts we had in those 8 games (vs Gee + North). That in itself is a major concern, two complete capitulations out of eight is not good at all.

However, the other 6 weeks when averaged out equate to

ave inside-50: 48
ave score: 12.12.84

so that's 3 inside-50s and 10 points short of the average. NB it is actually more like 7 points, as the average goals is 13.54 rounded up to 14

I really think it needs to be taken into account that this period has also been largely without Jamar, Clarke, Frawley and Dawes which are huge outs.

If it wasn't for those 2 hammerings in r16 and r18 it would be pretty good reading for Craig considering how shizen we were before he took over

• Like 3