Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

The proposition that professional footballers who are required to attend sessions called by the AFL to educate them on the ins and outs of drugs in sport are not better informed than a part timer who gets no education whatsoever is ludicrous.

BTW I agree with your summation of Tracey Holmes embarrassing performance on the programme today but it's correct name is "Offsiders" I believe .

What Wade Lees did was dumb regardless of any specific education. It was stupid to think it was even sensible to access substances over the internet which he could not get through more legitimate channels (eg pharmacies) in Australia. And even more so to consume.

Maybe the AFL drug education should be for Hird, Reid and others. And there is a lesson for those young players who were assured by the people they respected and trusted that it was safe.

As Caro Wilson aptly stated this whole issue is about the failure of a club to protect the welfare of 40 young men. Not that Tracy Holmes could even figure that much out!

• Like 1

Those who understand Tax will also know the different way the ATo treats elite sports payments...just saying

It may or may not explain her conduct but I believe Holmes is an Essendon supporter.

I noticed her neat bob hairstyle had a touch of red and black in it.

Seriously her comments on the cricket were of similar quality to the EFC perspective.

• Like 1

... to access substances over the internet which he could not get through more legitimate channels (eg pharmacies) in Australia.

You don't know that that's the case. There are any number of sports and diet supplements not available outside their countries of manufacturer, usually the US. And as i'm sure you'd agree, the range of many supplements available in pharmacies is small to non-existant.

Sure, Lees was taking a chance doing what he did, but as he himself has said, and as others have tried to point out on this thread, he really didn't grasp the ramifications or the responsibilities of his actions. Not that that's a defence of course.

You don't know that that's the case. There are any number of sports and diet supplements not available outside their countries of manufacturer, usually the US. And as i'm sure you'd agree, the range of many supplements available in pharmacies is small to non-existant.

Sure, Lees was taking a chance doing what he did, but as he himself has said, and as others have tried to point out on this thread, he really didn't grasp the ramifications or the responsibilities of his actions. Not that that's a defence of course.

Whether he did go through legitimate channels or not the fact that he was prepared to seek out substances overseas from the internet without the guidance of a doctor or pharmacist was just dumb....sportsman or not.

Look the best spin on this is that he was naive but does not take away just how reckless he was.

For mine the best aspect of the Lees incident by way of comparison is as far as penalty.

Wade got spanked for a fairly straight forward single misdemeanor

Essendons was a whole program of transgression...surely that takes it to the next level

• Like 2

Whether he did go through legitimate channels or not the fact that he was prepared to seek out substances overseas from the internet without the guidance of a doctor or pharmacist was just dumb....sportsman or not.

Look the best spin on this is that he was naive but does not take away just how reckless he was.

To be clear, the point I was making about Lees was that despite the naivety of what he did, he didn't have the benefit of the same information as the Essendon players and, as a consequence, one can't have any sympathy for them.

• Like 1

For mine the best aspect of the Lees incident by way of comparison is as far as penalty.

Wade got spanked for a fairly straight forward single misdemeanor

Essendons was a whole program of transgression...surely that takes it to the next level

on the basis lees went for intent as he did not consume , the EFC players should go as they signed waiver forms (assuming what we have read is true)

on the basis lees went for intent as he did not consume , the EFC players should go as they signed waiver forms (assuming what we have read is true)

it does beggar much cynicism in all this as you rightly return to those waivers.

"here ...sigh here"

what...why?

"its a waiver"

what am I waiving, whats it about

"oh just some vitamins or things...we're not sure"

oh...ok....

i mean...wtf

it was all iffy from the get go...unbelievable ( almost )

To be clear, the point I was making about Lees was that despite the naivety of what he did, he didn't have the benefit of the same information as the Essendon players and, as a consequence, one can't have any sympathy for them.

Lees failed a basic life skill 101 when he decided to acquire the substances from overseas from the internet. Whether it was legal or not it was dumb. He managed to do what so many other VFL footballers have the basic wits not to do.

And the so called information that the AFL footballers get is no ring of confidence of protection for all situations. And it's even more dubious when those charged with passing that information to the players were the very ones that created the allegedly "safe" environment for the players and provided dishonest assurances of safety to have their welfare a compromised. It's hardly a benefit to the players. While you have you basis for sympathy, I am sure the general football world ( ex Tracy Holmes) understand the gross failure of the duty of care of EFC officials in this saga.

At the end of the day, when and if penalties are handed down, EFC have failed those 40 young men

Lees failed a basic life skill 101 when he decided to acquire the substances from overseas from the internet. Whether it was legal or not it was dumb. He managed to do what so many other VFL footballers have the basic wits not to do.

And the so called information that the AFL footballers get is no ring of confidence of protection for all situations. And it's even more dubious when those charged with passing that information to the players were the very ones that created the allegedly "safe" environment for the players and provided dishonest assurances of safety to have their welfare a compromised. It's hardly a benefit to the players. While you have you basis for sympathy, I am sure the general football world ( ex Tracy Holmes) understand the gross failure of the duty of care of EFC officials in this saga.

At the end of the day, when and if penalties are handed down, EFC have failed those 40 young men

So you think Lees was a dill to do what he did but you have sympathy for the Essendon players who signed waivers and subjected themselves to a programme of drugs which a simple google search would have disclosed contained human growth hormones and other dodgy stuff? The mind fairly boggles.

So you think Lees was a dill to do what he did but you have sympathy for the Essendon players who signed waivers and subjected themselves to a programme of drugs which a simple google search would have disclosed contained human growth hormones and other dodgy stuff? The mind fairly boggles.

I don't have much sympathy for the lack of action by Essendon payers either, but perhaps there was a part of their minds unconsciously assuming it was unthinkable that a professional AFL club could do anything so dodgy.

When they come to realise how wrong they were, the excrement will hit the fan. Possibly even if they escape immediate penalties.

Well done on misrepresenting my point of view.....

I don't have much sympathy for the lack of action by Essendon payers either, but perhaps there was a part of their minds unconsciously assuming it was unthinkable that a professional AFL club could do anything so dodgy.

When they come to realise how wrong they were, the excrement will hit the fan. Possibly even if they escape immediate penalties.

I think they have realised their mistake about 12 months ago. And they appear to have co operated with the authorities and have had the sword of Damocles hanging over them for some time. In one respect, if ASADA does issue notices at least some of the players may actually find out what they had been given. Others may have to wait the term of their natural lives to ensure there are no adverse health implications.

I think they like others have been caught up in the unparallel nature of the saga and the process. However both before and after the saga broke, they have been terribly advised/counseled by the Club.

They will rightly be exposed to outcome of the due processes of ASADA. The bottom line is that if they took a banned substance they should go. And if they do there are others in charge who have escaped ASADA wrath that should be shamed out of sport.

On Footy Classified, Matthew Lloyd made an empassioned plea on behalf of the mental stress of those under the supplements saga. His comments from being close to the EFC were certainly important news. (They certainly made Hutchy look even more ridiculous in regard his callous comments in regard disclosure of the 14 players). However, Lloyd remarkably went onto blame the AFL and ASADA for the delays in closure on this matter. Blind Freddy would know that for the past 8 months the investigation is solely in the hands of ASADA. Caro Wilson corrected Lloyd who did not seem to understand the issue. However the take away from Lloyds comments is that this investigation represents a massive distraction on the players.

On Footy Classified, Matthew Lloyd made an empassioned plea on behalf of the mental stress of those under the supplements saga. His comments from being close to the EFC were certainly important news. (They certainly made Hutchy look even more ridiculous in regard his callous comments in regard disclosure of the 14 players). However, Lloyd remarkably went onto blame the AFL and ASADA for the delays in closure on this matter. Blind Freddy would know that for the past 8 months the investigation is solely in the hands of ASADA. Caro Wilson corrected Lloyd who did not seem to understand the issue. However the take away from Lloyds comments is that this investigation represents a massive distraction on the players.

That seems to be the message Essendon wants to get out there i.e they're looking for public sympathy insofar as it's been a long time coming to fruition and therefore it's unfair of the club and the players. But it was the club that instituted this supplements programme and conducted it in such a reckless way that it allowed its records to "disappear" and is therefore responsible for the length and duration of the ongoing investigation. Blame them.

• Like 2

Did anyone see 360 last night? Bomber Thompson doesn't sit next to Robbo anymore. The bombers asked if Thompson could be moved away from Robbo. This is getting silly now.

Did anyone see 360 last night? Bomber Thompson doesn't sit next to Robbo anymore. The bombers asked if Thompson could be moved away from Robbo. This is getting silly now.

Why do they look like they are singing from the same Hymn book?