Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

What we really need is a Jack Bauer type cop to arrest Dank and interrogate a confession out of him. Metal nipple pegs and a cow taser should do the trick!

Fox could even televise it after 24 in a blockbuster double header, such is their moral depravity!

:huh: ......... :unsure: ...........hmmmmm...

:huh: ......... :unsure: ...........hmmmmm...

All in jest of course, but crikey this story will drag on for years if these bloodsucking lawyers have their way. I think everyone's had a gutful of our sport being held hostage by Hird/Dank/Little/Fox.

• Like 1

its just gone from simmer......to boil !!!!

settle back and get your favourite nibbles !!!

Reported in The Age: Victoria Police arrest and release Stephen Dank

Tonights TV news interviewed the compounding chemist Mr Alavi who said that he was presented with a document by Dank, which was not factually correct about the drugs supplied, and was not signed by Mr Alavi. The copy in ASADA/police possession he claimed was forged with his signature.

With Purana now involved it gives a good idea of the types of people that Essendon were dealing with (probably the right word to use)

• Like 1

its just gone from simmer......to boil !!!!

settle back and get your favourite nibbles !!!

Forget "simmer" and "boil". Try "gone nuclear".

Stephen Dank questioned by police over stolen peptides - report

It is understood police are investigating whether signatures on up to 40 blood tests were forged as part of an ongoing investigation.

I've often made much of having no empathy for Essendon supporters. A good mate, a daughter and a son (by marriage ) are Dons. Strangely they are not the blitz type !! They like footy and it must be painful. But its their club thats the cause, They need to be brought to task.

I might use it with my students as an example of how not to write persuasively. Abysmal journalism.

I wonder if you might want to ask your students to compare and contrast this news and his editorialising when Shane Charter was arrested earlier in the month that the development was a "dramatic blow" to the AFL's "16-month pursuit of the AFL club". No suggestion today that the arrest and questioning of Dank being a "dramatic blow" to Essendon's 17-month attempt to avoid sanctions by ASADA.

• Like 1

Compounding chemist interview, claims Dank forged his signature.

Very strange claims by Alavi.

So many lies. Its every man for himself. From top to bottom. Gonna get really messy

• Like 1

My understanding is it wasnt ASADA at all. It was Dank claiming he was told by ASADA .

I could be wrong but thats my reading on it.

That was my recollection to if memory serves Dank contacted ASADA regarding its use and was advised to refer to WADA as it controls the list and would be best placed to answer the query. Dank did not contact WADA but kept asking the question of ASADA. ASADA can not advise on this as WADA is and always has been the body responsible for determining if a substance is prohibited. Dank knows this and EFC should have known this.

• Like 1

Mr Alavi also told the ABC's 7.30 program that ASADA investigators told him they discovered a letter at Essendon which was purported to be written by him.

Mr Alavi said he did not write or sign the letter, which referred to a natural substance called Thymomodulin, which is not banned by the World Anti-Doping Authority (WADA).

"The letter said something along the lines of 'Thymomodulin has been compounded and it is not banned by WADA'," Mr Alavi told 7.30.

"And then had my name at the bottom. And my signature on the letter."

Thymomodulin's stronger, synthetic version - the peptide Thymosin Beta 4 - is banned and ASADA alleges that is what the Essendon players took.

So their attempt to forge the contents of the mysterious vials from TB4 (banned) to Thomomodulin (legal) is now becoming clearer.

"Mimotopes managing director Sonja Plompen has told The Australian she has no record of her lab receiving a batch of peptides from Mr Dank in early 2012, much less destroying one."

Bombers may never know what they took but neither will ASADA: chemist

And the illegal vials Dank was in possession of and insisted were destroyed? Nope, they never turned up. So where did they go?

All coming together now. Essendon are absolutely, unequivocally ****ed!

• Like 1

Essendon, Dank and Hird are all deep in this but going on what was claimed by Peter Jess, the manager of two Essendon players, the AFL doesn't come out smelling of roses. Jess outlined his concerns but what did the AFL and it's so-called "integrity" people do?

Nothing.

Probably too busy trying to nail Melbourne because Chris Connolly stuck his head in a room for a minute and cracked a joke.

I'm not trying to minimize the severity of the tanking charges against Melbourne but here you had the AFL selectively attacking one of its poorer and weaker member clubs for doing what had been going on for 10 years by others and condoned with a wink, wink, nod, nod while ignoring the possibility of systemic drug cheating going on under its nose by one of the stronger clubs.

Shameful.

• Like 5

ASADA hasn't outlined its case against the players but they should have a fair idea now as to what it's all about. They have received show-cause notices and what they have to do now is simply tell the truth. What do they know about the supplements programme they were subjected to during 2012?

ASADA wants to expose and charge Dank and any other Essendon official complicit in the programme. The co-operation of the players is likely to result in sanctions against these men. Yes, it will also result in infraction notices against the players involved as well but they have the opportunity to minimise the sanctions against them - a chance that might not otherwise be available if they don't act soon.

What I'm advocating for the players is obviously problematic for the players and their advisers. We're not a nation of "dobbers" and in the general scheme of things we don't like self-incrimination. Co-operation would also hurt and possibly deeply wound their employer as well. We're also not a nation of drug cheats either and while I believe most of the players didn't intend to cheat, they certainly failed to be vigilant enough about what went into their bodies which is what is drummed into them on a regular basis as AFL players.

Chris Judd spoke earlier this year about players being "capable of individual thought".

"If someone said to me you are going to have multiple injections off-site at an anti-ageing clinic, I would be able to say, no, that doesnt sound right for me.

"Real heroism is when you are able to stand up and be different to the crowd, when you get that feeling in your stomach that something is not right."

The players still have the capacity to ensure that by standing up now they can avoid some very hefty sanctions and a lifetime of carrying the label of "drug cheats".

• Like 6

If players allowed themselves to be injected with unmarked vials by off site randoms then they have really placed themselves in a very vulnerable position.

How Dr Reid still has a medical licence is beyond me.

As does it me.. Have said this all along. Even more, we sit here and write this but surely there those supposedly in positions whose role is to watch over this that ought to be acting. It make you wonder.

Hird, the gall ( somewhat appropriate now... ) of this bloke seemingly knows no limits.

We can only hope he keeps it up for there will be no hiding behind his masquerade eventually. Everyone will see him for exactly what he is

My understanding is it wasnt ASADA at all. It was Dank claiming he was told by ASADA .

I could be wrong but thats my reading on it.

Thats what i am led to believe,

Dank claims he called ASADA and was told that it was legal but does not have a reference number of the call.

But havnt ASADA left the AOD and moved it completely onto the TD-4 stuff?

• Like 2

Compounding chemist interview, claims Dank forged his signature.

Very strange claims by Alavi.

One senses a little bit of opportunistic revision to history. I suspect hes probably nearly telling the truth.

I find it somewhat incredulous that he can claim to not know exactly what was in the viles.

Ok Dumb question 1) Is ASADA's case against Essendon ruled by Federal or States Laws?

Im thinking its a Fed case but if it was a Victorian case there would be a "Mention" where evidence is shown to the defendant. That is fair.

Dumb question 2) If Danks has got evidence (one way or the other) and he stated he isnt showing until a court orders him, why isnt he subpenaed? Is it still not a "Court of Law"?

If any of the lawyers present has a simple answer to these I would be grateful.

I dont feel comfortable thinking a court can charge you and not have to show evidence of why youre charged.

Thanks

Ok Dumb question 1) Is ASADA's case against Essendon ruled by Federal or States Laws?

Im thinking its a Fed case but if it was a Victorian case there would be a "Mention" where evidence is shown to the defendant. That is fair.

Dumb question 2) If Danks has got evidence (one way or the other) and he stated he isnt showing until a court orders him, why isnt he subpenaed? Is it still not a "Court of Law"?

If any of the lawyers present has a simple answer to these I would be grateful.

I dont feel comfortable thinking a court can charge you and not have to show evidence of why youre charged.

Thanks

My reading is that's it's even worse Franky. The players are being told to come and talk and accept a 6 month ban without seeing any evidence.

The Bumbers appear to isolated themselves from the AFL administration and most other clubs and have renderd it impossible for the AFL, ASADA or any other agency to work with them in any way.

Most agencies apply the law with a degree of discretion through the prosecutors office and that is always in favour of the accused. What Little and Hird have done is ensure that the law will be applied to the letter and that realy is not in the interest of the club or the players.

There is no chance of the AFL or politicians attempting to apply any influence on the outcome of this now. The AFL is now in defence mode regarding the conduct of the initial investgation and cannot support the Bumbers even if they wanted to. If Essendon win the Federal court matter they are likely to lodge writs against the AFL and seek compensation for punishment already received. The AFL's interests now firmly lie with the success of the ASADA case as do the interests of the other clubs that rely on the finances of the AFL and that cannot be good for Essendon.

There is a reason Bomber Thompson stated in a presser that the club felt isolated and alone, its because they are.

The realy stupid thing is that even a complete win in the Federal Court in favour of the Bumbers it will see them condemed for ever more as drug cheats because it only reinforces their guilt.

• Like 5