Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

Whilst I think it is good to see the passion in this thread, if we look at the longer term, there were very encouraging signs tonight. It reminded me a little of the preseason win again Port. A second string side had a red hot go.

Almost for the first time this year I saw some hope in the mid field. Jones as usual was outstanding, Viney will be an A grader, Trengove is slowly getting back to his first year form ,mckenzie did his job, Sylvia is important in the middle and Spencer seems to be getting better every game. We won many of the centre square clearances, and the stoppages, which is more than you can say for all of this year and last. If we trade our high picks for some free agent mids we will be very competitive. Ollie wines decision still rankles though.

Next year we will have a forward set up including Clark, hogan, Fitzpatrick, Dawes, Howe, Watts and Davies. Almost the best set up in the league - well at least in the top four I would suggest. Our backline will be much better with an improved midfield because it will not be bombarded continually.

I would trade for two class midfielders and a crumbling forward, preferably one of Carlton's mosquito fleet.

If this is successful, and with Roos or Eade as coach, we will be in the eight next year, mark my words.

I didn't see any of the game yesterday but I wonder if the improved effort as anything to do with the fact we are now 3 weeks after the Darwin game?

I seem to recall we have usually 2 poor weeks after Darwin and maybe it's time to give that little exercise a miss.

• Like 2

I wonder what responsibility would bring out of Jack Watts?

Time he was considered for the leadership group, I say. Once he signs, that is.

Part of the Jack Watts story has always been that his team-mates and coaches have not expected from him what he is capable of, not looked for it, maybe put off by the easy manner; and he appears to me to have accommodated himself (perhaps not all that happily) with their view of him. In junior footy, he was well used to standing up. But he is clearly very team-focused now.

Somebody here suggests Watts is likely to become a regular match winner, while others suggest our captains are not showing that quality. On Watts, I agree. Well then, if I was coach, I'd want the selection process for leaders to end up with the right blokes, reflecting the team's intentions and dynamics - and I'd be wanting to know why Watts plays like that, speaks like that, is well liked, but is overlooked while the team goes regularly down the drain for lack of players leading with impact. I'd be wanting to put an end to having Jack watts plugging backline fears when we are losing the game because there's no-one doing the job in the forward line. I'd want to be putting it to Jack, "why not?" and giving him opportunity to show us what he's always had in him. Me, I see him as actually modest...

Interesting to see every one praising Spencer when the vast majority had him as the worst player in the competition not that long back; perhaps some humble pie for a few?

Well you know how that tastes.

how bad can we get?

The Sun have won 7 games and we've had our chances, add Frawley and Dawes and we would have won, goota make you wonder what position we would be in if we didn't hire a line coach in Neeld.
  • Like 1

The coach lost the game for us by playing Davis forward and Watts back.

Davis has been playing down back for Casey for the last three years, finally gets a game is is played as a forward.

Perfect example of poor development and poor coaching.

There are four big positives from this season and all were evident again tonight.

1) Colin Garland has become an elite defender. Picked up Ablett when he rested forward and really annoyed him.

2) Jake Spencer is now a player - it's not just that he works hard around ground, it's because unlike Jamar and Gawn, his hitouts actually find a target quite often (34% tonight from 41 hitouts).

3) Jack Viney - for obvious reasons. He had 24 disposals tonight and if Davis hadn't wiped him out in a marking contest he probably would have got 30.

4) Dean Kent - we needed a small goalscoring forward who tackles and has pace. We drafted Byrnes for the role, but got really lucky and ended up with Kent at pick 50 or whatever who is a long-term proposition. He still hasn't cracked 20 disposals in a game yet I don't think but he had 19 tonight.

You could probably add a fifth positive in Jack Fitzpatrick saving his AFL career in the past seven games - a very handy back-up for Mitch Clark next season.

The Jordie haters need to take a step back this week too - did a great job on Ablett.

Jack Watts was very classy again, if only he could tackle, then we'd all get off his back.

I was at the game and these were the four who stood out to me as well. We bemoan our inability to develop our players and quite rightly but Garland has genuinely stepped up into elite territory. I had a very enjoyable night highlighting every one of Spencer's positive contributions. Gawn is going to be a star but Spencer right now is twice the ruckman. Giving Ablett a hard time was priceless. Kent makes mistakes but he is made of the right stuff and Viney again lived up to the hype. His endeavour is infectious. Nathan Jones thinks his way through tight situations really well these days and his kicking has become efficient. I'm bemused by those who continue to ride the Watts rollercoaster. The on him one week, off him the next brigade need to get their heads around the type of player we've got on our hands here. Last night was a classic example. When we win enough ball Watts will have the opportunities to show off his undeniable skills but even against Gold Coast there were numerous times where he fails to run to the right places when he doesn't have the ball. He guards space where space doesn't need to be guarded and continues to disappoint in aerial contests when he needs to impact physically. His kicking under pressure and ability to think his way out of difficult situations deep in defence is really impressive and obviously his ability to hit the scoreboard when forward is pleasing but he still has his flaws. As a consequence he's going to remain frustrating to watch, ridiculously inconsistent and an absolute tease for many years to come. Calling him a superstar one week and throwing his name up for trade the next is pointless. He is what he is but he is getting better.

I walked away feeling really frustrated last night. We should have won. We blew too many chances. We didn't have the necessary belief when it mattered and the umpires were very average. But then I remembered how long it had been since I'd actively committed to a game emotionally for the entire four quarters driven by a feeling that we could actually win. It's nice to be feeling down about losing and not down about the epic proportions of the loss.

• Like 11

The Sun have won 7 games and we've had our chances, add Frawley and Dawes and we would have won, goota make you wonder what position we would be in if we didn't hire a line coach in Neeld.

We would have won but for a few key players missing?

The game of football is all about performing when key players are missing from the team. As there is always players missing for one reason or another.

Melbourne has recruited a number of key position player in Clark and Dawes who spend more time on the sidelines then on the footy field. No arguement they both can play when fit but whats the point if they are unavailble for selection so oftain? IMO it would be better to replace them with players who are not always injuried.

What upsets me the most is the MFC development should have been way ahead of that of GWS & the Suns but it is actually behind all other AFL teams in a big way.

Personally I heard all the excuses as to why the MFC has not been winning and just want the players to take pride in the jumper and get the job done. Oh well a MFC Supporter can dream can't they?

Those who have watched more Casey games than me, could you tell me whether Troy Davis has played any time in the forward line. Thought it was odd he finally got his chance, and he was put in the forward line where he was unsurprisingly out of his depth and comfort zone.

We threw away a good chance to win in the last 30 seconds of the third quarter. Nicholson lining up for goal to bring us within a point, misses, and they go straight up the other end and goal, while our guys may have already been in the three quarter time huddle.

• Like 1

We would have won but for a few key players missing?

The game of football is all about performing when key players are missing from the team. As there is always players missing for one reason or another.

Melbourne has recruited a number of key position player in Clark and Dawes who spend more time on the sidelines then on the footy field. No arguement they both can play when fit but whats the point if they are unavailble for selection so oftain? IMO it would be better to replace them with players who are not always injuried.

What upsets me the most is the MFC development should have been way ahead of that of GWS & the Suns but it is actually behind all other AFL teams in a big way.

Personally I heard all the excuses as to why the MFC has not been winning and just want the players to take pride in the jumper and get the job done. Oh well a MFC Supporter can dream can't they?

Agree. Decent teams cover for missing players and hardly miss a beat. This club and the supporters have a long standing issue in that we still believe that certain individuals will be our savior and fix everything. Our improvement must come from yhe whole playing group taking responsibility for producing consistent professional level sport each week. If we rely on the inclusion of 'talented' individuals this circle that we've been on for the last 5 years will just continue until the entire AFL community has had enough of us once and for all.

We need to mark Brown's name down and someone - i do not care who - needs to make sure that he is not able to walk off the field next time we play.

• Like 2

Those who have watched more Casey games than me, could you tell me whether Troy Davis has played any time in the forward line. Thought it was odd he finally got his chance, and he was put in the forward line where he was unsurprisingly out of his depth and comfort zone.

We threw away a good chance to win in the last 30 seconds of the third quarter. Nicholson lining up for goal to bring us within a point, misses, and they go straight up the other end and goal, while our guys may have already been in the three quarter time huddle.

In the last half of this year he's played as a forward at Casey alongside Hogan.

He has played forward but Davis is a defender, Nicholson is one of the reasons that has put me off monitoring games closely this year, I cannot see the value of playing a guy that constantly kicks the ball to the opposition .

• Like 1

I didn't see any of the game yesterday but I wonder if the improved effort as anything to do with the fact we are now 3 weeks after the Darwin game?

I seem to recall we have usually 2 poor weeks after Darwin and maybe it's time to give that little exercise a miss.

Agree.

Agree, as I was watching the end of the quarter I was saying they cannot score a goal and one to us would be awesome. What happens? We get a shot on goal and it misses, straight up the other end and goal. That cost us big time. We were our own worst enemy last night.

Some interesting comments Goodvibes. The thing I'll say about Watts is that we have tried to pigeon hole him. The more I look at him, the more I think he fulfills that modern day swing man role. And even then, he really is a unique player in terms of how he looks on the field. There is a hell of a lot of upside with this kid. We cannot and will not let him go.

We need to mark Brown's name down and someone - i do not care who - needs to make sure that he is not able to walk off the field next time we play.

Lets get Lloyd back from retirement. The thought of Mr Personality sniping Brown again and hearing Lynch commentating...

I was there last night, so I'm not really sure how it was presented on TV---what narative was spun by the commentators---but I can say, at least for my part, that the match was a positive experience.

We used the ball well for most of the match, EXCEPT in front of goal, which ultimately cost us the game, in my opinion. We showed some real heart for a lot of the match---the number of spot fires on the field was more than I've seen at any other match, and this, I'm guessing, wouldn't have been represented on TV: for a team that is considered to be lacking passion, there were a few punches thrown and blokes backing up their teammates (even the much maligned J Watts had a dig). I left the match ultimately hopeful.

I remember saying a couple of years ago (2011 I think) that Jack Watts' errors aren't thinking errors, but silly skill errors caused by lack of confidence. This, I believe, is what really undoes our team: the lack of confidence of the players in their own abilities, and that of their teammates. People are unwilling to, for example, run the ball themselves, but instead kick it to a 2/1 or 3/1 contest to our disadvantage. There are numerous occasions last night where players, finding themselves with the ball, handballed it to another teammate as under the pump as them. I believe that we have a skilled team, but one that is too afraid to put those skills into practice.

I said that I was hopeful, and there are two reasons for this. First, players like Terlich, Kent, Clisby, Davis (who player rather well for his first), who have few games between them, aren't the most skilled players (at the moment!), but their passion and commitment to the team, I believe, far outweighs that of more senior players. Sure, they make stupid errors, but the astonishing thing in the context of this team at this time is that they don't drop their heads, they just keep chasing the ball, at the very least, not gifting it to the other team without effort. This attitude in the young players is what needs to be fostered by the next coach, and I believe that if it is, we will see a vast improvement in a very short space of time.

Second, being a QLD demon, I don't often see other Melbourne supporters. Last night was a positive experience from that standpoint. That the Melbourne faithful would turn up this deep into what many are calling the worst season of all time, and yell passionately, is a testament to this club's supporter base. The GC supporters clearly far outweighed us, but we were, for the most part, just as loud, just as belligerent, just as passionate in our small numbers as they were en masse.

• Like 8